Do i need a new power supply

Kaine tyrie

I have a 500w atm and thinking about upgrading my pc, going to get an i7-8700k, 16gb ddr4 (corsair vengeance) and any motherboard that works. I currently have an gtx 1060 6gb

All i was wondering is if i need to get a more powerful unit, if i upgrade the system i don't want my 500w to be on the brink i want to have some wiggle room and not need to worry.

What '500W' PSU is it? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

2 minutes ago, Kaine tyrie said:

its nothing special I've had it since 2015 when it came with my original build

i think its an aerocool integrator:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerocool-Integrator-500W-Power-Supply/dp/B00JKVHKSU

I'd get a better PSU then. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

1 minute ago, Kaine tyrie said:

its nothing special I've had it since 2015 when it came with my original build

i think its an aerocool integrator:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerocool-Integrator-500W-Power-Supply/dp/B00JKVHKSU

yeah... you can definitely have a swap to something better in quality already

550 is sufficient, tier b. but higher is obviously better

20 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah... you can definitely have a swap to something better in quality already

550 is sufficient, tier b. but higher is obviously better

20 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

I'd get a better PSU then. 

okay cool i think ill get an evga 600w

Replace it with a PSU that isn't a complete piece of trash that endangers the PC. A decent 400W is absolutely plenty, like the Pure Power 10/11 or Vengeance. 

:)

Just now, Kaine tyrie said:

I'm afraid that's still a bad one... check the list

EVGA has about a billion 600W PSUs, a lot of which are crap. Which model, and why 600W?

The Corsair RM550x is also an option. 

زندگی از چراغ

4 minutes ago, Kaine tyrie said:

I have a 500w atm and thinking about upgrading my pc, going to get an i7-8700k, 16gb ddr4 (corsair vengeance) and any motherboard that works. I currently have an gtx 1060 6gb

All i was wondering is if i need to get a more powerful unit, if i upgrade the system i don't want my 500w to be on the brink i want to have some wiggle room and not need to worry.

for an 8700K and a GTX 1060 it will be fine, and you can even upgrade the GTX 1060 to an RTX 2060 comfortably, but can't recommend anything higher than that

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 minute ago, Kaine tyrie said:

evga 600w

Don't just get ANY evga PSU.  Like any brand name that's like saying "Oh I'll get a Ford Truck" the actual model and year it was made matters a whole lot, just look at how there are both terrible evga psus (white-label) and good ones all the way up the tier list.

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

EVGA has about a billion 600W PSUs, a lot of which are crap. Which model, and why 600W?

600w to have enough extra to be able to get another graphics card or a different one all together

600w to have enough extra to be able to get another graphics card or a different one all together

If you can afford a PC that needs 600W, you can afford a PSU that's better than any of EVGA's 600W PSUs. So you don't need a 600W PSU.

1 minute ago, _Syn_ said:

for an 8700K and a GTX 1060 it will be fine, and you can even upgrade the GTX 1060 to an RTX 2060 comfortably, but can't recommend anything higher than that

wattagewise maybe...

i suggest you read up on things like fan bearing and especially power regulations

Just now, LogicWeasel said:

Don't just get ANY evga PSU.  Like any brand name that's like saying "Oh I'll get a Ford Truck" the actual model and year it was made matters a whole lot, just look at how there are both terrible evga psus (white-label) and good ones all the way up the tier list.

from what ive just read i am now not going to get an evga maybe corsair

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I'm afraid that's still a bad one... check the list

i am going to use the list to have a good look its still a while for me to decide about getting a good one

2 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

This is a review of the Aerocool Integrator. 

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/aerocool-integrator-600-watt-psu-review/

Now keep in mind that they seriously downgraded it. You don't want to power anything you care about with it. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

i am going to buy the power supply separately, clearly i was wrong to think of evga it was purely because i have an evga 1060 and like to try and keep things that same but i have more corsair things and corsair have more modular options  

i am going to buy the power supply separately, clearly i was wrong to think of evga it was purely because i have an evga 1060 and like to try and keep things that same but i have more corsair things and corsair have more modular options  

evga has good PSUs

g2 is great for example

w1 unfortunately isn't... at all

Buy by product, not by brand. All brands sell garbage. 

Just now, seon123 said:

Buy by product, not by brand. All brands sell garbage. 

no exceptions

except delta

Spoiler

don't always trust delta

Spoiler

just 99% of the time

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

This is a review of the Aerocool Integrator. 

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/aerocool-integrator-600-watt-psu-review/

Now keep in mind that they seriously downgraded it. You don't want to power anything you care about with it. 

Thank you, now after reading and actually thinking about it for a second i am thinking of a 550w corsair probably the cx550m

5 minutes ago, Kaine tyrie said:

WHAT 600 watt PSU from EVGA. They have over dusin. And a lot of them are bad.

Thank you, now after reading and actually thinking about it for a second i am thinking of a 550w corsair probably the cx550m

cxm is decent, but might whine a little with higher end GPUs (it's in my case true), but it's otherwise decent

any price difference with the cx 2017?