Adhesive to stick down my DAC to my computer case safely?

nicolas2465

As title says.  I just got new headphones and a DAC, problem is the DAC is light in weight and the headphones have a fairly short cable and I pretty much have to keep the DAC in my lap lol otherwise it gets dragged down to the floor.

Is there a safe adhesive i can use on my computer case that can later be safely removed?  It's an NZXT h500 if it matters.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700k
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 1tb M.2 NVME BOOT DRIVE
Video Card: MSI RTX 2070 Super
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold 

Try painting tape,its literally designed to be removed

My life

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

I don't think it'll be strong enough O.o

Any general use adhesive will come off easy with heat, some decently strong double sided tape and a hair dryer later is a good option

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Done this before. 

U-Line Hook and loop tape. The stuff is crazy strong adhesive and seems to hold up well to heat and not fall off if you use a lot of it. This is Velcro so make sure to buy opposing pieces as the single units/rolls they sell don’t come with both sides of the Velcro.

adhesive mounting pads, I used them to secure phone filters and splitters to the wall but it should work for you too.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

34 minutes ago, nicolas2465 said:

As title says.  I just got new headphones and a DAC, problem is the DAC is light in weight and the headphones have a fairly short cable and I pretty much have to keep the DAC in my lap lol otherwise it gets dragged down to the floor.

Is there a safe adhesive i can use on my computer case that can later be safely removed?  It's an NZXT h500 if it matters.

Just use pretty standard 3M double sided tape. I suggest using the rubber "looking" type, because it'll leave less residue when removing.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If you can't get hook and loop like @dDave64 has suggested i use foam double sided tape.  Can't remember where i got the roll from

Roll.thumb.jpg.b3556757d433d9584cf42e425266b36b.jpg

But i've used it for all sorts of shiz over the years (all with the same roll too) It does leave a residue after removal but this can be removed with rubbing alcohol or a hair dryer (like @fasauceome said) after you've finished with it.  One diagonal strip for a removable option or two full length strips for a more permanent solution

Side.thumb.jpg.771df40cf0250b084db288d827f4a31f.jpg

Front.thumb.jpg.58d822e9261acf4e93ca5c3adfff231b.jpg

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

30 minutes ago, dDave64 said:

Done this before. 

U-Line Hook and loop tape. The stuff is crazy strong adhesive and seems to hold up well to heat and not fall off if you use a lot of it. This is Velcro so make sure to buy opposing pieces as the single units/rolls they sell don’t come with both sides of the Velcro.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07G4WVB58/ref=emc_b_5_t

what about this?

3 minutes ago, nicolas2465 said:

It says industrial strength so that’s good.

I haven’t personally used that exact product so I can’t tell you if it’s good or bad. I use the U Line stuff at work all the time and am always super happy with it.

I hang fairly heavy electronics that produce some heat all the time with it and haven’t had an issue yet. Stuff stays up for years with no problems.

That stuff certainly looks promising though.

The plus side to hook and loop tape is that you can remove the device to tinker with it and then put it back.

3M Command strips. These are replacement adhesive for 3M Command hooks, etc. They are strong but easily removed when needed.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

IMHO velcro tape is the best. You tape one strip to the case and another to the DAC. Also good thing about velcro is that it can fill the gap between chassis of the DAC and the case if your DAC has feet. Another plus of velcro is that you can easily move your DAC from your desktop PC to eg. your laptop without removing the adhesive.

Countless touring guitar players use this technique to fix their effect pedals to the pedalboard. Those pedalboards are being tossed all over the place and nothing moves inside.

Command strips, or Velcro command strips

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

20 hours ago, Himommies said:

That's only sort of true. Painter's tape is designed to be removed within a relatively short time frame. If you wait too long the adhesive will degrade and leave residue, fail to peel off properly or take some paint with it.

imo, the best way to do this sort of thing would be with dual-loc 3m pads. It's super tough, and allows for easy removal if needed - just like velcro, but it won't allow the DAC to move side to side like velcro will. Dual loc is much more secure. Granted, it's pretty expensive stuff, but it's about the best stuff there is for this sort of thing.

Just don't get the knock off versions - those are a pain in the butt to peel off (if not absolutely impossible without a chemical solvent) whereas the 3m stuff will just peel right off in my experience.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

22 hours ago, nicolas2465 said:

The same stuff gopro uses on their mounts comes off pretty well in my experience. some kind of 3M tape.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

I use 3m strips, easy to remove.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER