Giant Magnetic Space Net

I hope you everyone finds this as amazing as I do!

"Next month, Japan’s space agency (JAXA) will launch a space trawler — a spacecraft that will drag a giant aluminium and steel net while orbiting Earth, hoping to bag itself some space junk."

earth-debris-large-640x360.jpg

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175230-japan-is-preparing-to-launch-a-giant-magnetic-net-that-will-trawl-space-for-junk

I find almost everything space related to be incredibly interesting but I thought you all should be informed about this topic. It's a "restorer" for my faith in humanity  :D .

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

I'm pretty much the same way. Anything about space fascinates me. And this is pretty cool!

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Lots of space junk is small pieces, I wonder how fine the mesh is.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

This sounds ridiculous and would appear to have many problems surrounding it. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

It does sound a little far-fetched but I'm sure they didn't just strap a net to a rocket and call it good :P

That's like catching millions of sniper bullets...

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

Thats pretty cool assuming it all goes according to plan. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

that is awesome!!!!!!! now all we need is to use this type of thing to carry materials from planet to planet like on futurama :P

This sounds ridiculous and would appear to have many problems surrounding it. 

Can you elaborate on this?

I think it makes a lot of sense compared to other proposed methods. Yes there are challenges, but it's a step in the right direction.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Maybe we should jettison more junk into space to help block out the sun a bit

because it was 38f last night in Florida and I'll be damned if I have to keep sitting through this kind of heat. 

Error: 410

Can you elaborate on this?

I think it makes a lot of sense compared to other proposed methods. Yes there are challenges, but it's a step in the right direction.

We don't get the stuff back and its a lot of material to make a net just to burn it up, unless of course its a big "net" capable of capturing a lot of material, but its kinda hard to control the spacecraft when it has to fly faster or in the opposite direction of the space junk and right into the space junks orbital paths. That and it will probably catch working satellites. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

how are they going to dodge the satellites and other instruments we are using for space exploration, GPS, ect 

We don't get the stuff back and its a lot of material to make a net just to burn it up, unless of course its a big "net" but kinda hard to control the spacecraft when it has to fly faster or in the opposite direction of the space junk and right into the space junks orbital paths. That and it will probably catch working satellites. 

It's true that the plan is for the debris to burn up in orbit, but

1. That debris is up there anyway and not doing anything for us

2. Space debris is a legitimate safety concern

3. If left unchecked, it will make leaving the atmosphere literally impossible eventually

#3 is the real kicker. Whether we want to admit it or not, space exploration is essential to scientific progression and the development of new technologies that eventually get used in every day life. Not to mention how utterly important satellite communications are to modern society.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

how are they going to dodge the satellites and other instruments we are using for space exploration, GPS, ect 

The net is guided and has propulsion. Orbit has different "zones" in it, one of which is the graveyard orbit. This is where they park a lot of the space junk. Presumably, they simply won't drive the net into any space that has active satellite orbits.

3. If left unchecked, it will make leaving the atmosphere literally impossible eventually

#3 is the real kicker. Whether we want to admit it or not, space exploration is essential to scientific progression and the development of new technologies that eventually get used in every day life. Not to mention how utterly important satellite communications are to modern society.

Agreed on some points but there is still problems with idea. 

Spoiler

Agreed on some points but there is still problems with idea. 

Personally I think the idea is a good start. I hope the eventual design that evolves is a magnetic space net that - rather then de-orbiting - is collected and all that scrap metal and debris can be recycled, melted down, etc. Heck if someone set up an orbital manufacturing centre (Not likely for some time, but I believe inevitable, especially for space vehicle construction), then they could collect space debris for resources and material.

1: WALL-E

2: WALL-E

3: WALL-E

sysloc

I would laugh so hard if they found secret united states technologies.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Lots of space junk is small pieces, I wonder how fine the mesh is.

And lots of space junk is HUGE pieces.

Personally I think the idea is a good start. I hope the eventual design that evolves is a magnetic space net that - rather then de-orbiting - is collected and all that scrap metal and debris can be recycled, melted down, etc.

And if's not worth salvaging send it to the sun.

Considering that the average speed of debris orbiting the Earth at a low Earth orbit is around 7-8 Kilometers per second, I wonder how the space net will be able to catch these pieces of junk without damaging itself. Even if it uses a magnetic system, the magnet would have to be very strong in order to suddenly or gradually stop pieces of junk. Anyhow, I'm sure these Japanese scientists have it all worked out. ;P

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

Considering that the average speed of debris orbiting the Earth at a low Earth orbit is around 7-8 Kilometers per second, I wonder how the space net will be able to catch these pieces of junk without damaging itself. Even if it uses a magnetic system, the magnet would have to be very strong in order to suddenly or gradually stop pieces of junk. Anyhow, I'm sure these Japanese scientists have it all worked out. ;P

Ya most of the engineering that comes out of Japan is pretty spectacular. They'll probably not try to catch the debris traveling the opposite direction in order to save the net from it's full velocity. They'll probably try to catch it by traveling the same direction or within 30 degrees.

Yeah as Astroman said, I HIGHLY doubt they would try to approach the debris head on, or even stationary. Most likely they would send the drone in and match average orbital speeds (maybe slightly faster or slower). Or as he suggested, have it pass through the orbital plane at a slight angle.

Ya most of the engineering that comes out of Japan is pretty spectacular. They'll probably not try to catch the debris traveling the opposite direction in order to save the net from it's full velocity. They'll probably try to catch it by traveling the same direction or within 30 degrees.

isnt the EU planning on doing this soon also?

Its all about those volumetric clouds