Is this PC any good?

2 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

I think if you want some longevity (speculation here) the Ryzen is still going to prove a higher value to the unlocked chips. 

same talk was quite a few years ago between the core i5 CPUs and core i7. and today we can say the non-ht CPUs have taken quite a hit in comparison to what they should have taken. 

3 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

My only deal in this battle is that a locked Intel CPU is only ever going to give you what it can. Some older gen CPUs have shown great longevity, but it's the ones you can feel out in overclocking. 

If the argument was for an unlocked Intel winning each round at the same pricing, I cant argue that value. 

We haven't had Ryzen long enough to compare it to a 3770k in long term use (and the AMD offerings didnt show much lifespan at that point,) but I would say it's a safe bet to assume it's at least going to give Intel's unlocked chips a run for their money as a few years pass here, since most of the lower end unlocks still aren't Hyperthreaded for the pricing. 

I think if you want some longevity (speculation here) the Ryzen is still going to prove a higher value to the unlocked chips. 

At current pricing, I like the 2600X for value. 

@jerubedo has certainly got me looking more at the price competitors lately, though. Nothing is cut and dry. 

I agree with this mostly. OCing can breathe new life into a chip after it's aged. Your point particularly affects the i3 8100. However, not really the 9400f when we are comparing it to the 2600x, and that's because the 9400f STILL pulls ahead when going against a fully OCed 2600x. So in a gaming rig, both chips are already at their max potential where the 9400f still pulls ahead.

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

same talk was quite a few years ago between the core i5 CPUs and core i7. and today we can say the non-ht CPUs have taken quite a hit in comparison to what they should have taken. 

Yeah, but back then people were saying that the i5s were a better value proposition, and for nearly a decade that did hold true. It's only around, I'd say, late 2017 that it started to become untrue. So people saying this back in 2010 were absolutely right for 7 (almost 8 ) years (which is well beyond an upgrade cycle timeframe).

Edit: And even now those older i5s are still okay for the most part. They fall a bit behind in some of the more threaded games but they are still capable in the rest of them. Like if someone with an i5 7600 came to me right now and asked if an upgrade was necessary for gaming, I'd say no, unless the only games he/she plays is Assassin's Creed.

7 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Yeah, but back then people were saying that the i5s were a better value proposition, and for nearly a decade that did hold true. It's only around, I'd say, late 2017 that it started to become untrue. So people saying this back in 2010 were absolutely right for 7 (almost 8 ) years (which is well beyond an upgrade cycle timeframe).

that is fairly true, but we also during that entire timeframe had no improvements in CPUs (like generally speaking, yes there were improvements, but nothing groundshattering). 

8 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Like if someone with an i5 7600 came to me right now and asked if an upgrade was necessary for gaming, I'd say no, unless the only games he/she plays is Assassin's Creed.

id say mostly the same, though id figure out what GPU he has and suggest what to upgrade next. 

9 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

And even now those older i5s are still okay for the most part. They fall a bit behind in some of the more threaded games but they are still capable in the rest of them.

they hold one, but not nearly as well as their HT counterparts. and with the option of getting a HT/SMT CPU at some or no downgrade in performance and similar price, id be hard pressed to suggest a non-ht CPU when we are in a time period when the market is seemingly shifting a bit. perhaps the 9600k and the sorts, though i personally dont like suggesting those for the same reasons. 

honestly wished intel kept a 8700k rebrand with the 9000 series.