HDD Shipments Down 18% YoY

poochyena

Most people still need 3+ TB in their local systems if not in their family NAS.  I get that with 1TB ssd's doping in price the demand is lower but it's not dead.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

In laptops I think HDDs will be virtually extinct by 2020. Heck, 2.5" bays might be virtually extinct except in legacy designs by 2020. If you're significantly redesigning a laptop model for the next generation, what arguments are there for keeping 2.5" bays? Standard height 2.5" HDDs only even go up to 2TB, so SSDs win the storage density contest if money is no object and that's what you absolutely need. A 250GB boot SSD +1TB HDD doesn't even make much sense from a cost perspective versus just ditching the 2.5" bay and having a single M.2 slot with .5TB, and then 1TB, or 2TB options so you can overcharge for upgrades. Maybe a second empty M.2 slot so you can overcharge even more for storage upgrades.

13 hours ago, Paparachipupopep said:

In laptops I think HDDs will be virtually extinct by 2020. Heck, 2.5" bays might be virtually extinct except in legacy designs by 2020. If you're significantly redesigning a laptop model for the next generation, what arguments are there for keeping 2.5" bays? Standard height 2.5" HDDs only even go up to 2TB, so SSDs win the storage density contest if money is no object and that's what you absolutely need. A 250GB boot SSD +1TB HDD doesn't even make much sense from a cost perspective versus just ditching the 2.5" bay and having a single M.2 slot with .5TB, and then 1TB, or 2TB options so you can overcharge for upgrades. Maybe a second empty M.2 slot so you can overcharge even more for storage upgrades.

I'll be happy if laptops swap to M.2 instead of 2.5", but if they delete 2.5" to save save and we can't upgrade that space I'll be a little annoyed.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

No surprise there.

I can still see HDDs being popular in 3rd world countries for some years though, where people torrent most of their movies, TV series, and video games, hence needing large storage space for all that pirated goodness. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

9 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

No surprise there.

I can still see HDDs being popular in 3rd world countries for some years though, where people torrent most of their movies, TV series, and video games, hence needing large storage space for all that pirated goodness. 

Some people like me still buy Blu-ray's and then rip them.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

10 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

No surprise there.

Torrents are still popular outside of those 3rd countries, especially with all the BS limitations posed on you when you are trying to go down the legal route ;) . Plus seeing how games are getting bigger and bigger i dont think HDD's will disappear in the near future...

35 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Torrents are still popular outside of those 3rd countries, especially with all the BS limitations posed on you when you are trying to go down the legal route ;) . Plus seeing how games are getting bigger and bigger i dont think HDD's will disappear in the near future...

This comment has triggered my Sonarr and Radarr causing a Deluge of information to flow in ?

On 4/21/2019 at 11:34 PM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Tapes are reasonably priced but the machines that read and write to them cost an arm, a leg, and your first born.

Nice thing is though unless you need the extra performance or a standby drive for restores it's a one time expense for a rather long time and you can cycle through thousands of cheap tapes. It's something like 2.5k NZD for an LTO-7 drive for an HPE 6480, 2.5k NZD is not that expensive comparative to 6+ large capacity HDDs.

What's more interesting to me, is SSD vs NVMe price/performance.

11 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

No surprise there.

or....you know, places without good internet where streaming isn't a viable option. Though i do sometimes feel like Australia's internet is third world....

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

12 hours ago, leadeater said:

This comment has triggered my Sonarr and Radarr causing a Deluge of information to flow in ?

I’m only about 3 hours from Kim Dotcom’s house, so we often swap hard drives for a week to get free movies. 

IDK where he gets them from, but he’s very nice letting me borrow some movies and propping up the entire Queenstown City Council.

On 4/20/2019 at 9:51 AM, Curious Pineapple said:

Maybe we're at a point where mechanical drives can't really get any faster.

Well they haven't released a new SATA standard since 2009. There is a reason. HDD cant use SATA 3.0 fully, so there is no point to create a faster standard. Mechanical disks still have larger capacities going for them and the fact they dont have X amount of write cycles until they die. They just keep on spinning till a component fails. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Mechanical disks still have larger capacities going for them and the fact they dont have X amount of write cycles until they die. They just keep on spinning till a component fails. 

That hasn't been an issue for consumers for a while now.  Only on very early SSDs you had to worry about wear. 

At the rate most people write to their SSDs, it'll take anywhere between 30 years and a century for modern NAND to wear out.  Good luck getting a HDD to last that long.