AMD 7nm fab vs Intel 14nm fab ?

Go to solution Solved by Turtle Rig,
15 minutes ago, mariushm said:

First of all..

It's not AMD's 7nm ... the factories belong to Global Foundries (which was owned by AMD but they sold their part and it's somewhat independent) and TSMC. The design of the whole thing was made by Samsung (the machines and stuff)

Also ... you can't put an equal sign between  Intel 14nm and tsmc 14nm and global foundries 14 nm

The numbers 7nm or 14nm are more of a " n nm class", which means most of the things in the chip are 7nm or around 7nm, or 14nm or around 14nm.

When AMD, TSMC, Global foundries says 14nm, they mean some structures inside the chip can be 14nm... but for example if a component in the chip is 14nm wide, it may have to be at least 20nm long, a limitation of the manufacturing process.

In the case of other components in the chip, let's say less used, it may not be possible to make them lower than 22-25nm in any direction.

Intel may have different rules for what it considers 14 nm ... for example they may be more honest and they may say 14nm for when they make structures that are 14 nm wide AND 12-14nm long, so basically BETTER than the alternative solutions.

Anyway... in general, the lower the nm number, the smaller the internal components in a chip can be, which mean all the components can be packed closer together in the chip so

* you can squeeze more components inside a chip in the same surface, or make the chip smaller using the same number of components

* smaller transistors and components inside the chip means these components need less power to do their job, so overall the chip consumes less power

* the distance between components inside the chip is smaller, which means there's less power required to push electrons between components... and this means less heat is produced to achieve same things

* also, less distance means there is potential to reach higher frequencies - with older bigger nm designs some things are simply not possible, because the chip waits a lot of time for electrons to move at the speed of light from one side of the chip to another .. speed of electricity is around 280 meters per nanosecond or around 0.01" per picosecond ...

... and there's other reasons...

You rock man,  thank you soo much for your detailed response.  I appreciate it greatly.

What advantages are there to getting a 7nm amd fab compared to a Intel 14nm fab ?.  Thanks plenty in advance.  :)

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

None, because it's a completely different architecture and can't be compared.

That's like asking if a small fork or large spoon is better.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

None, because it's a completely different architecture and can't be compared.

That's like asking if a small fork or large spoon is better.

Small fork because it can grip to things.

Just now, Jr SavageZ said:

Small fork because it can grip to things.

Nvm spork would be.

You might as well be asking "What's better, a large toilet or a small bathtub?"

They're somewhat similar, but completely different, and you can't compare.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

6 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

What advantages are there to getting a 7nm amd fab compared to a Intel 14nm fab ?.  Thanks plenty in advance.  :)

You're asking us to compare something that isn't out yet and is unverified in performance to the current Intel platform. What answer do you really expect from this? Because nothing that anyone says is going to be reliable.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

First of all..

It's not AMD's 7nm ... the factories belong to Global Foundries (which was owned by AMD but they sold their part and it's somewhat independent) and TSMC. The design of the whole thing was made by Samsung (the machines and stuff)

Also ... you can't put an equal sign between  Intel 14nm and tsmc 14nm and global foundries 14 nm

The numbers 7nm or 14nm are more of a " n nm class", which means most of the things in the chip are 7nm or around 7nm, or 14nm or around 14nm.

When AMD, TSMC, Global foundries says 14nm, they mean some structures inside the chip can be 14nm... but for example if a component in the chip is 14nm wide, it may have to be at least 20nm long, a limitation of the manufacturing process.

In the case of other components in the chip, let's say less used, it may not be possible to make them lower than 22-25nm in any direction.

Intel may have different rules for what it considers 14 nm ... for example they may be more honest and they may say 14nm for when they make structures that are 14 nm wide AND 12-14nm long, so basically BETTER than the alternative solutions.

Anyway... in general, the lower the nm number, the smaller the internal components in a chip can be, which mean all the components can be packed closer together in the chip so

* you can squeeze more components inside a chip in the same surface, or make the chip smaller using the same number of components

* smaller transistors and components inside the chip means these components need less power to do their job, so overall the chip consumes less power

* the distance between components inside the chip is smaller, which means there's less power required to push electrons between components... and this means less heat is produced to achieve same things

* also, less distance means there is potential to reach higher frequencies - with older bigger nm designs some things are simply not possible, because the chip waits a lot of time for electrons to move at the speed of light from one side of the chip to another .. speed of electricity is around 280 meters per nanosecond or around 0.01" per picosecond ...

15 minutes ago, mariushm said:

First of all..

You rock man,  thank you soo much for your detailed response.  I appreciate it greatly.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card