First custom build: Should I do it myself?

This is my first time building a custom pc and I have bought all the parts now I want to know that should I build it myself or ask some tech guy to build it for me? I have seen a lot of build videos and have enough confidence but I don't have enough spare parts to check what the problem is if pc doesn't starts up.

Just now, Toheed said:

This is mh first time building a custom pc and I have bought all the parts now I want to know that should I build it myself or ask some tech guy to build it for me? I have seen a lot of build videos and have enough confidence but I don't have enough spare parts to check what the problem is if pc doesn't starts up.

try it... you have a supportive forum here to help you out if you get stuck ?

What you need to do is on a piece of paper outline the steps you are going to take.

To know what those steps are, watch Youtube build videos. Watch several.

You need to keep track of things like the amount of screws used to fit the motherboard to the case with the amount of stand-offs. 

One stand-off out of place can spell disaster.

Make sure the area is well lit and clean. 

You should think about having a shower before you start to minimize having a hair or eyelash land in the wrong place(CPU socket).

Make sure you have the right tools before you start.  

Here is a list of what has gone wrong on my recent builds.

One stick of ram not being recognized. Had to reseat it a few times to get it to work.

lost a M.2 heat shield screw. Had to remove the motherboard to make sure the screw was not in a place it could do harm. I never found the screw.

Good luck.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

You can do it, my cat believes in you. 

There's plenty of guides here and all over the internet in case you get stuck, but really a PC just goes together like a very expensive lego set, and lots of parts are designed so you can't accidentally put them in the wrong way.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

1 hour ago, Toheed said:

but I don't have enough spare parts to check what the problem is if pc doesn't starts up.

Just relax, drink a glass of water. You'll be fine.

If things go south, you've got a forum that will help you.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

For a first time build the most important rule is don't rush.  Even if you do it over two days, take your time and double check all your work.  There is much better quality control about parts these days and chances of a bad stick of RAM are very low.  You don't tell us what the parts are for your build.  I hope you are doing an ATX system as there is a lot of room in the case compared to mITX.  Also, having a modular power supply makes things easier as well.  After over a dozen PC builds I always get excited when I turn the computer on for the first time and install Wndows.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

My mistake with my last p.c. was not paying attention to the difference of pcie and sata m2 drives and corresponding slots on the motherboard… 
I had difficulty with defining how the case should be connected to the motherboard ( led lights and all ) it is a nasty place too ( for me it where 4 tiny 1 pin connectors, got it right in about a turn or 3 ) 
It took me hours to look for the right tiny screw for the m2. connecting proces aaaaaaaaand i had to change the location of the fan placed on the cooling block for the cpu. I had to switch places because of the location of the cpu fan cooler slot and the lenght of the cabel
I was so happy when it all worked :D

don't forget work slow stick to your plan, work out all your cables etc etc and use something that grounds you ( i have this tiny wrist cable that apperently grounds me when i connect it to something metal duh ;)

GL :D

As people stated already: Just do it.
Way back in the 90's it was much easier to really break something or have something not working (master/slave devices...).

Today everything is kinda easy. Just make sure you don't rush. if you encounter an issue. google it.

Just one thing I have to tell myself every damn time:

If you have to apply thermal paste to your CPU just trust yourself that you've done it right. Don't put the cooler on and then remove it to check. Just believe in that you've done it right. Chances are pretty low that you've done it wrong.

Thank you soo much for all of your replies. I feel much confident now. I will surely start a new forum once I start building the pc this weekend! 

7 hours ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

try it... you have a supportive forum here to help you out if you get stuck ?

Thanks mate :D

6 hours ago, Alan G said:

For a first time build the most important rule is don't rush.  Even if you do it over two days, take your time and double check all your work.  There is much better quality control about parts these days and chances of a bad stick of RAM are very low.  You don't tell us what the parts are for your build.  I hope you are doing an ATX system as there is a lot of room in the case compared to mITX.  Also, having a modular power supply makes things easier as well.  After over a dozen PC builds I always get excited when I turn the computer on for the first time and install Wndows.

Ryzen 2600

X470 ultra gaming auros

Ballistix sport 2666 mhz 8gb(2x4gb)

Tx650M or maybe HCG 650W(will buy one of them tomorrow)

Rx 580(will upgrade to rtx 2060)

Cooler master 500L

1 hour ago, Toheed said:

Ryzen 2600

X470 ultra gaming auros

Ballistix sport 2666 mhz 8gb(2x4gb)

Tx650M or maybe HCG 650W(will buy one of them tomorrow)

Rx 580(will upgrade to rtx 2060)

Cooler master 500L

I think i have a clue about how it will look ;) 

inside.jpg

1 hour ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

I think i have a clue about how it will look ;) 

inside.jpg

I see you have the same board as me! I have a question. Is the ssd heatsink supposed to be loose? I am uploading the video aswell.

37 minutes ago, Toheed said:

I see you have the same board as me! I have a question. Is the ssd heatsink supposed to be loose? I am uploading the video aswell.

With the m2. behind it its a solid fit. 

2 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

With the m2. behind it its a solid fit. 

Thanks !!

I built my first full PC on my own last year after watching a bunch of youtube videos on how to do it. 

Just take it slow and steady, and you'll do fine. :) 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.