Used GTX 1080 ti vs New Rtx 2070

As title states. 
I was gonna buy a new Galax/kfa2 RTX 2070 from amazon, which was gonna cost 499euro.

Just before i bought i found a deal, for a use  Aorus gtx 1080ti for 550eur

After asking, the seller re-assured me that the card was not used for mining, and that it was only used for a year.

Especially since the price will be nearly the same when considering shipping costs.

I am looking for an opinions, is the risk of buying a used card worth having the performance difference ? 
Would a generation older card result in any problems down the line ? 

2 minutes ago, JustARandomDude said:

As title states. 
I was gonna buy a new Galax/kfa2 RTX 2070 from amazon, which was gonna cost 499euro.

Just before i bought i found a deal, for a use  Aorus gtx 1080ti for 550eur

After asking, the seller re-assured me that the card was not used for mining, and that it was only used for a year.

Especially since the price will be nearly the same when considering shipping costs.

I am looking for an opinions, is the risk of buying a used card worth having the performance difference ? 
Would a generation older card result in any problems down the line ? 

Well, for any title where you use ray tracing, performance would suffer on GPUs that do not have RT cores vs those that do.

Depends on where you see yourself gaming in the years to come. Personally I can live without Ray tracing.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

I'd personally grab the 1080 Ti and not look back.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

10 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Well, for any title where you use ray tracing, performance would suffer on GPUs that do not have RT cores vs those that do.

Depends on where you see yourself gaming in the years to come. Personally I can live without Ray tracing.

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I'd personally grab the 1080 Ti and not look back.

I personally don't see myself needing the tracing cores, especially with the 30 fps you'll end up having. 
Which inclines me towards the 1080 ti.

Yet never owning a used GPU really don't know what to expect. Especially with the loss of warranty.

Thanks for your opinions though, much appreciated!

I understand its tempting for the extra performance, But myself I would and actually did buy a RTX2070.

It honestly didn't impress me that much and realise I should have saved up for the 2080ti.. the only real 4k capable consumer graphics card

1 minute ago, Ansuex said:

I understand its tempting for the extra performance, But myself I would and actually did buy a RTX2070.

I honestly didn't impress me that much and realise I should have saved up for the 2080ti.. the only real 4k capable consumer graphics card

I will be coming from a laptop though, thus I will be getting nearly a 90% better gpu.

I definitely think that for 4k 2080 or ti would be more adequate for max settings. 

Yet I mostly need it to play max settings @ 144hz, which I currently cannot hit. 

1080ti is A lot more powerful, I would go for it. Especially if owner didn't mine on it or ran some crazy overclock.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

2 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Especially if owner didn't mine on it or ran some crazy overclock.

Mining: not hard on hardware.

Overclock: you're gonna do it anyway, and too high an overclock will crash the driver WELL before it ruins the card.

Buying a used card should evoke two questions: Are the fans in good condition (nothing wobble cocked, lubrication in place, WORKING) and is there any coil whine under high load?

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

4 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

1080ti is A lot more powerful, I would go for it. Especially if owner didn't mine on it or ran some crazy overclock.

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

Overclock: you're gonna do it anyway, and too high an overclock will crash the driver WELL before it ruins the card.

Although i can't get proof, the seller said he did not mine using it, and that he has only owned it for a single year. 

I didn't just ask him "was it used for mining?" either, since he would obviously say no. But i asked what performance i would get if i were to mine on it, which if he used for mining he would know and brag about it when i showed interest.  

5 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Buying a used card should evoke two questions: Are the fans in good condition (nothing wobble cocked, lubrication in place, WORKING) and is there any coil whine under high load?

The thing is that i cannot test it myself since i still don't have all my parts for the pc. I maybe should go ahead and check it out in his rig if it would be possible.

Thanks though, definitely didn't think about those two points.

17 minutes ago, JustARandomDude said:

The thing is that i cannot test it myself since i still don't have all my parts for the pc. I maybe should go ahead and check it out in his rig if it would be possible.

Thanks though, definitely didn't think about those two points.

well, paypal does offer buyer protections, and as far as i know any 1080ti should still be under a factory warranty (depending on the manufacturer).

System specs:

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

well, paypal does offer buyer protections, and as far as i know any 1080ti should still be under a factory warranty (depending on the manufacturer).

it's a local seller, not online. 

I would have to check how aorus handles second hand warranties, although they state that they offer 3 year warranty, don't know I would be able to use it if i'm not to original purchaser. 

16 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

Is it under warranty? If yes, go for this, if no, don't

Pay 50 bucks more for a used RTX 2080 without ray tracing capabilities, that's what I read

have no idea how aorus/gigabyte handles second hand buyer's warranty. 
although I did email them they can take 3-7 days to respond, which means I risk my chances of sealing the deal. 

I won't buy it without any sort of warranty though, even though I'm tempted.

1080ti all day.  I think the 1070 ti and 1080 ti are some of the best deals in terms of value on ebay (if you can find a good one).

The 2070 value overall sucks, and if you can go beyond it I would.  You will be getting 2080 level of performance with the 1080ti and that is pretty great.  It was interesting watching the LMG lounge set up video with the 2070's on AMD vs intel.  On the 2700X with a 2070 Linus was getting only about 10-15 more FPS (on apex) than I get on my budget rig- ryzen 2600 paired with a 1660ti...that is a significantly lower priced rig (a little more than 1/2 the price of their rigs) for a pretty small FPS difference.  

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

23 minutes ago, Zberg said:

1080ti all day.  I think the 1070 ti and 1080 ti are some of the best deals in terms of value on ebay (if you can find a good one).

The 2070 value overall sucks, and if you can go beyond it I would.  You will be getting 2080 level of performance with the 1080ti and that is pretty great.  It was interesting watching the LMG lounge set up video with the 2070's on AMD vs intel.  On the 2700X with a 2070 Linus was getting only about 10-15 more FPS (on apex) than I get on my budget rig- ryzen 2600 paired with a 1660ti...that is a significantly lower priced rig (a little more than 1/2 the price of their rigs) for a pretty small FPS difference.  

it most definitely was. Although i looked at it as an estimation of the performance i'd be getting in my rig, since i didn't have the 1080ti to consider and was sold on  buying and RTX2070.