NES unstable video

Coaxialgamer

About 2 weeks ago i got my hands on a use NES for basically nothing. Too good to pass up.

As expected for hardware this old, there were issues involving the 72 pin connector, general corrosion etc.

But i did eventually get it working.

However, i haven't been able to get clear, stable video from the console itself. It outputs via SCART through the multi-AV connector, and fortunately we still have an old TV with that on it.

Sound comes in fine, but the video is typically noisy/distorted, with color flickering in and out (typically, only part of the screen will be in color). I ordered a new AV cable but the issue remains: the problem seems to come from the console.

The signal is actually so bad that my SCART/HDMI converter can't even lock onto a stable enough signal, so i typically get only sound and faint outlines if i use it.

AV connector itself looks decent enough, at least physically.

I realize this is both suitable for the console and electronics/hobby sections, but has anyone encountered this type of problem before? Any fix possible?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

i would take the NES apart and look for corrosion anywhere and everywhere, clean teh 72pin connector, and see if there is any circuit board cracking or bad solder joints

(Take anything I say with a grain of salt)

[Main Pc] CPU, i5 9600k GPU, Asus Strix RTX 2060, RAM, 16b Team Group Delta RGB, PSU, Seasonic Px-750 plat , Cooler, Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML120L RGB, Storage, 500gb Samsung 950 evo/1tb WD blue/2tb HDD,Case, Enermax ECA3520. + some cooler master RGB fans

[Laptop] Dell G3, i7-8750H (Turbo 4.2 Ghz), Gtx 1050 ti , 8gb 2669 mhz, 128gb nvme ssd, 1tb HDD

[Server]

[Consoles] Pretty much almost every popular one you can think of besides for like Xbox and some Sega Stuff( Playstation especially)

[Mobile Devices] iPhone XR 64gb (Red) gb, iPad Air 2 128gb, Space Grey,  Ipod Shuffle Space Grey

Just now, Lagercat1 said:

i would take the NES apart and look for corrosion anywhere and everywhere, clean teh 72pin connector, and see if there is any circuit board cracking or bad solder joints

already done. Taken apart twice over.

The problem is that the whole video/power assembly isn't easily accessible: it needs to be de-soldered from the main board and is under a shield. I'd rather not do that if i can help it.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

already done. Taken apart twice over.

The problem is that the whole video/power assembly isn't easily accessible: it needs to be de-soldered from the main board and is under a shield. I'd rather not do that if i can help it.

i wasnt really saying desolder the connector (bc that would be a pain) but just look at it super close

also the shield should jsut be a couple of screws

also i would like to say im in the US so my 2 NES are a bit diffrent from yours so what im going off of to give you advice is based on what i know in general and what i know about US model NES, over here we dont have SCART

(Take anything I say with a grain of salt)

[Main Pc] CPU, i5 9600k GPU, Asus Strix RTX 2060, RAM, 16b Team Group Delta RGB, PSU, Seasonic Px-750 plat , Cooler, Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML120L RGB, Storage, 500gb Samsung 950 evo/1tb WD blue/2tb HDD,Case, Enermax ECA3520. + some cooler master RGB fans

[Laptop] Dell G3, i7-8750H (Turbo 4.2 Ghz), Gtx 1050 ti , 8gb 2669 mhz, 128gb nvme ssd, 1tb HDD

[Server]

[Consoles] Pretty much almost every popular one you can think of besides for like Xbox and some Sega Stuff( Playstation especially)

[Mobile Devices] iPhone XR 64gb (Red) gb, iPad Air 2 128gb, Space Grey,  Ipod Shuffle Space Grey

On 4/15/2019 at 10:20 AM, Coaxialgamer said:

-snip-

Emulate on PC and call it a day.

PAL NES and a multi-AV connector? That is very rare, and possibly French. I'd try cleaning the multi-av connector with electrical contactor cleaner, that stuff is magic.

Other than that, if it is a French NES this https://www.reddit.com/r/nes/comments/3i783e/best_way_to_hook_up_a_french_nes/  indicates you may need a special cable?

On 4/20/2019 at 11:35 PM, Monkey Dust said:

PAL NES and a multi-AV connector? That is very rare, and possibly French. I'd try cleaning the multi-av connector with electrical contactor cleaner, that stuff is magic.

Other than that, if it is a French NES this https://www.reddit.com/r/nes/comments/3i783e/best_way_to_hook_up_a_french_nes/  indicates you may need a special cable?

It is a French NES: fortunately it uses the same connector as the SNES, so i got a spare cable recently.

I'll try the contact cleaner, however it's likely that I'll need to remove the entire AV/power unit and shield and check if the actual circuitry looks good (bad caps are a thing after all). Worse case I'll just buy a new connector and solder it . Shouldn't be too difficult (but it will be a pain). 

Thanks for the suggestion though ?

On 4/20/2019 at 9:05 PM, Dr. Historic Low said:

Emulate on PC and call it a day.

Where's the fun in that? I payed 30 euro for a bad experience. If i wanted convenience and clean video, I'd do that.

?

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

Where's the fun in that? I payed 30 euro for a bad experience. If i wanted convenience and clean video, I'd do that.

What type of fun? Real fun or sarcastic fun? What's wrong with convenience and clean video?

Just now, Dr. Historic Low said:

What type of fun? Real fun or sarcastic fun? What's wrong with convenience and clean video?

Well, I wanted to get into collecting: having an actual "wall of old stuff" seems appealing to me. I actually grew up using an SNES (which my dad had bought 15 years prior), so retro gaming is something that is slightly nostalgic for me.

But I do agree with you: emulation does provide the best experience in terms of video and general reliability. But it just isn't the same.

32 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Well, I wanted to get into collecting: having an actual "wall of old stuff" seems appealing to me. I actually grew up using an SNES (which my dad had bought 15 years prior), so retro gaming is something that is slightly nostalgic for me. But I do agree with you: emulation does provide the best experience in terms of video and general reliability. But it just isn't the same.

I see. Completely understand. From personal experience, collecting can be both expensive and inexpensive. You could get lucky and get that NES to work but I recommend investing in more than just that one. The trick is to dig deeper. Don't overlook a single opportunity. By that, I mean everything that is put in front of your eyes. The amount of money involved is always random.