i9-9900K Thermal issues

Sajeev

Hi Guys,
One of my friends just bought an i9 9900K. He asked me to help him with an issue that he is facing with regards to the thermals in his system. Before I can visit him and see what is going wrong with his system I thought it would be good to have a small discussion with you guys here.

Now the problem is that even without an Overclocking profile both on Ram and CPU, his system just crashing on Prime95 29.8, sometimes he gets a BSOD and sometimes the system completely freezes. His cooling is not a problem as he is on Custom Loop with an EK Vector block. He told me that his temps were as high as 98-99 degrees (Hwininfo) as soon as he starts Prime95. He told me that he was running the small FTT Test w/o any overclocking. What is strange in this scenario is that he informed that his system is thermal throttling all the time and he sees some of his cores (#Core 4, #Core 7)completely greyed out. Also he did inform that Prime95 was showing some of his cores mentioning Stooped Working and that the temps on #Core 4 & #Core 7 were consistently 99 Degrees and were showing to be thermal throttling. 

Ohhh Yes before I forget his Ideal temperatures were 45-50 degrees even though the pump was running at higher RPM's and his Rads are same as mine Alphacool X45 420MM copper radiator. He has a very good airflow in his system(he is using a Thermaltake View 71 case).

Any idea what could be the problem, I seriously suspect that he has a very bad CPU...

Rgds
Sajeev

Something with the loop might be wrong e.g broken pump,not good thermal paste application and last but not least a faulty cpu that was damaged during installation.

Hope that helped.

I agree with @ManosMax13 here. 

7 minutes ago, Sajeev said:

His cooling is not a problem as he is on Custom Loop with an EK Vector block.

This is contradictory. The fact of the matter is that if his temps are as high as you say they are then his cooling is most certainly a problem. 

CPU
Intel® Core i9 9900K 8 Core 16 Threads
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG Strix Z390-E
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB
Graphics Card
MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

1st Drive

500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME 

2nd Drive

1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVME
3rd Hard Disk
480GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
4th Hard Disk
2TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM

5th Hard Disk
2TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET 
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i Pr 360mm AIO

Case:

Lian Li O11 Air

If the temperatures are immediately hitting 100C then it indicates that there's a problem with transferring heat from the CPU to the water loop.

• Bad block mount not making proper contact to IHS
  • Bad thermal paste/no thermal paste
  • Dead pump
  • Clog in the loop
  • Air in the loop
  • Gunk built up in the CPU block
  • etc

Remount the waterblock on the CPU and apply new thermal paste. Check the pump is working and that water is flowing.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 minutes ago, Sajeev said:

His cooling is not a problem as he is on Custom Loop with an EK Vector block.

That doesn't mean much, the waterblock may be poorly mounted and there may be other problems with the loop like, for example, a defective pump which shows a high rpm but isn't actually running. If you have a compatible cooler (even a small one) I suggest using that to make sure there are no issues with the system outside of the cooling; then I'd inspect the watercooling loop to see if you can spot any issues. If the problem isn't immediately apparent, try building a smaller loop with just the bare minimum for it to work, then add pieces one by one.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Tks guys, I will come to know only once i reach there and have a look at it.

Rgds

Sajeev

If he did everything right mounting everything and not switching inlet and outlet ports or mounting it unevenly then I suspect either air in the loop, a buggy BIOS with faulty defaults or a bad cpu.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

Voltages... Also maybe try testing with something else than Prime95. Its known to be too harsh on CPUs. Aida64 or OCCT might give another look. But overall this sounds like voltages.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Sorry for a late response on the matter as I got busy with my daughter's birth, which finally happened last week. So I visited my friend and found out that there was absolutely no issues with his cooling system, everything just seemed fine. Pump was working fine with the water flowing through the loop properly w/o any blockage. I checked his water block which was also fine. I tried resetting the BIOS to factory defaults, which still didn't work. I checked his MOBO with another i9-9900K and it worked fine. I guess it's the processor, probably will have to delid the processor and check again or may be RMA as its a new processor.

Anyhow tks guys..