What is your opinion on A.I. and AI taking jobs?

NonoZomb1e

I want to talk about with you guys about AI, and how they are taking jobs. If you have any information or news can you post it here please.\

I am new on here, and I have been a linus fan for a while.So yeah.

I have heard from one of my family members that networking, and IT jobs are going to be taken over by AI. Is true? 

Maybe some very low level/entry level jobs might become more automated with the help of AI but I definitely do not see networking type jobs or a lot of higher level IT jobs in general going away any time soon.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Yeah, XD. I just heard this from my family member. And he is saying that I should go for cyber security, or programming, because that AI is going to be replacing those jobs, in the future.

I personally think this idea that artificial intelligence will take over a lot of jobs in the near future is pretty false.

I mean some jobs will definitely get taken over by AI, but it won't be as bad as some people say. It's not like half the global population is going to become unemployed because of AI and robots.

Eventually, in the future, AI will have a substantial impact on people and their jobs. But that time hasn't came yet, and I wouldn't worry about that anytime soon.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Maybe some very low level/entry level jobs might become more automated with the help of AI but I definitely do not see networking type jobs or a lot of higher level IT jobs in general going away any time soon.

Yeah I agree. I fully agree. But it feels like he is saying that it is going to be in the near future. So I was like, welp.

12 minutes ago, NonoZomb1e said:

I have heard from one of my family members that networking, and IT jobs are going to be taken over by AI. Is true? 

Not in the near future. Networking and IT support are very hard to replace because

1. You often need to be physically doing something, e.g. arranging cables in a data center - not something you can do with an AI unless you have some very specific custom robotics
  2. They often involve direct interaction with humans, something AIs are pretty bad at (and people don't like talking to a robot)
  3. The scope of troubleshooting that may be needed is too wide for current AI technology to cover it.

So far AI hasn't replaced a lot of jobs at all, though eventually it might.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

I personally think this idea that artificial intelligence will take over a lot of jobs in the near future is pretty false.

I mean some jobs will definitely get taken over by AI, but it won't be as bad as some people say. It's not like half the global population is going to become unemployed because of AI and robots.

Eventually, in the future, AI will have a substantial impact on people and their jobs. But that time hasn't came yet, and I wouldn't worry about that anytime soon.

Okay thank you. :)

A lot of basic networking can be automated already but when you have complex change requests to manage or outages to handle it becomes much more difficult to automate those things away. You have so many variables that need to be accounted for in a lot of scenarios that it's just not currently feasible to automate it all away. There will be consolidating in some areas though I can definitely see that but like @r2724r16 said, it's not going to be in the near future and half the world is out of a job any time soon :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Sauron said:

Not in the near future. Networking and IT support are very hard to replace because

1. You often need to be physically doing something, e.g. arranging cables in a data center - not something you can do with an AI unless you have some very specific custom robotics
  2. They often involve direct interaction with humans, something AIs are pretty bad at (and people don't like talking to a robot)
  3. The scope of troubleshooting that may be needed is too wide for current AI technology to cover it.

So far AI hasn't replaced a lot of jobs at all, though eventually it might.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

I also heard that they are using AI to do surgerys at big hospitals, in city's such as Los Angles, and I was like, "OH HELL NAW I AINT HAVING NO ROBOT CUTTING INTO ME!"

2 minutes ago, NonoZomb1e said:

I also heard that they are using AI to do surgerys at big hospitals, in city's such as Los Angles, and I was like, "OH HELL NAW I AINT HAVING NO ROBOT CUTTING INTO ME!"

Not even close. There are a few occurances of remote surgeries being done from across the world controlled by people using robotic arms and whatnot but that's completely different than AI which is nowhere near sophisticated enough to operate on people. It might be used to help predict certain things but not operate on people.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

id say if someones job is that easy that AI can replace him today he should be replaced and find a more challenging job.

same thing happened with manual labor over the last century and it will happen with easy office jobs as well.

Yeah. I must've gotten  a little bit of false information. Thank you all.

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Not even close. There are a few occurances of remote surgeries being done from across the world controlled by people using robotic arms and whatnot but that's completely different than AI which is nowhere near sophisticated enough to operate on people. It might be used to help predict certain things but not operate on people.

AI is only used at the moment for skin malignancy detection, it's quite smart. AI is particularly useful in these specific detection cases because using a trackable reference model to diagnose skin lesions is crucial - it's not often doctors have the appropriate medical history and the AI can detect using reference images (quite a lot, not just case-specific) the progression of the malignancy. 

AI is not meant to replace jobs, but rather as a tool for the job. 

Just now, floofer said:

AI is only used at the moment for skin malignancy detection, it's quite smart. AI is particularly useful in these specific detection cases because using a trackable reference model to diagnose skin lesions is crucial - it's not often doctors have the appropriate medical history and the AI can detect using reference images (quite a lot, not just case-specific) the progression of the malignancy. 

AI is not meant to replace jobs, but rather as a tool for the job. 

Well I would not in my opionion, would not want a robot doing any of that stuff to me.

It really depends on the field you work in.

Journalism has seen hard news starting to be replaced by AI. Some art and design is now done by AI.

It'll be interesting to see where it'll go. Eventually everything probably will be AI, just a question of how quick we get there and how fast they "trim the fat" off the planet

Asus AI overclocking got me to a stable 5.1Ghz with my 9900k... better then what I was able to do lol

Just now, lord of mush said:

Asus AI overclocking got me to a stable 5.1Ghz with my 9900k... better then what I was able to do lol

image.png.c736d5d4f8ebc5f3c054f0d30d0dc3fb.png

As someone who has spent the last 3 years researching the last few hundred years of labor and economic reform (as a hobby not accredited education), I am not afraid at all.  

New technologies tend to do a certain degree of displacing, but social evolution also tends to make up for it by spreading the load and rewards across the scale of input effort.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Meh it's bound to happen, case in point:
Self Checkout lanes
I'm surprised Best Buy hasn't tried some of that yet lol

It's probably coming or maybe not. Hard to say. Though seeing as our current CEO is dedicated to creating a World Class Customer Service Experience probably not.

I think though as certain people push for higher minimum wages, the more push there will be for automation at the entry level and it pisses me off.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization