Upgrade CPU or GPU

VzysPC
Go to solution Solved by jerubedo,
10 minutes ago, VzysPC said:

307F2493-23D3-4C37-947A-2A41998D4337.jpeg

Oh, good, that's a total of 42A across 3 rails with a max output of 385W. That should be just fine for a GTX 1660 Ti. I'd go with that then! You'll need a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter as well.

Here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NJPKZQG/?tag=pcpapi-20

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-6-Pin-Adapter/dp/B01DV1Z32Y/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=6-pin+to+8-pin+adapter&qid=1554928438&s=electronics&sr=1-3

The GTX 1660 Ti will certainly be more future proof.

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Oh... a DELL prebuild... that makes things a lot more complicated, the power supply in it might be insufficient for an i7 8700 RTX 2060 combination.

Gotta be careful with proprietary stuff too, we don't know if it's compatible.

If that's the case, imo your upgrade move is to put yourself into a non-proprietary system. If you're investing $400 you could put yourself into a new system and utilize your GPU until your next upgrade period pretty easily.

Could look a bit like this:

This would be a move into a more customizable PC for future upgrades. The GPU would be your next target, and this would have all the guts to make changes.

The MATX gaming plus might get a little flak, but it's not too bad for that price imo.

41 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Kinda? That definitely works if it's the CPU, but if there's no bottleneck shouldn't a GPU always be operating at ~100%

Indeed, in which case the GPU is holding back the FPS.. so u would upgrade the GPU.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 hours ago, trevb0t said:

Kinda? That definitely works if it's the CPU, but if there's no bottleneck shouldn't a GPU always be operating at ~100%

Not if you're using Vsync. no. In that case neither component would be operating at 100% (unless the GPU can't even keep up with the monitor's refresh rate). So assuming no bottleneck with vsync on, neither would be pegged at 100%.

5 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Oh... a DELL prebuild... that makes things a lot more complicated, the power supply in it might be insufficient for an i7 8700 RTX 2060 combination.

It’s a 460Watt power supply

5 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

It's a 460w PSU with a single 6-pin VGA connector. The motherboard is proprietary, so I'd agree that compatibility with another CPU is questionable, however, a GPU upgrade should be okay as long as you stick with a card that only needs a 6-pin connector. We don't know the amperage on the +12V rail on that PSU, so don't go beyond 6-pin (as in don't use a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter). The 8100 is still good enough to drive up to a GTX 1660 Ti without bottlenecking (anything beyond that starts to bottleneck).

Space also seems limited, so make sure you find out how much clearance is allowed for a card in that tower and make sure you stick to that. It would be best if you could get a single fan unit, since they are smallest, or a smaller dual fan card.

I think the GTX 1660/1660 Ti use 8-pin connectors, so those would be out, as does the RX 590. I'd say maybe an RX 580? This one fits the bill.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814930009&&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-DSA-_-CategoryPages-_-NA&gclid=CjwKCAjwqLblBRBYEiwAV3pCJtMBUtI2lVL9Db1gSoce1sdhI21dbUqrlYiUzW9nmVc-qURQbw_07xoCQi8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds 

It will perform, at 1080p, about 50% better in GTA V, 40% better in Battlefield 5, 60% better in Witcher 3, etc. Those are based off of just a few benchmarks I found around the web.

9 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

It's a 460w PSU with a single 6-pin VGA connector. The motherboard is proprietary, so I'd agree that compatibility with another CPU is questionable, however, a GPU upgrade should be okay as long as you stick with a card that only needs a 6-pin connector. We don't know the amperage on the +12V rail on that PSU, so don't go beyond 6-pin (as in don't use a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter). The 8100 is still good enough to drive up to a GTX 1660 Ti without bottlenecking (anything beyond that starts to bottleneck).

Space also seems limited, so make sure you find out how much clearance is allowed for a card in that tower and make sure you stick to that. It would be best if you could get a single fan unit, since they are smallest, or a smaller dual fan card.

I think the GTX 1660/1660 Ti use 8-pin connectors, so those would be out, as does the RX 590. I'd say maybe an RX 580? This one fits the bill.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814930009&&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-DSA-_-CategoryPages-_-NA&gclid=CjwKCAjwqLblBRBYEiwAV3pCJtMBUtI2lVL9Db1gSoce1sdhI21dbUqrlYiUzW9nmVc-qURQbw_07xoCQi8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds 

It will perform, at 1080p, about 40% better in GTA V, 110% better in Battlefield 4, 65% better in Witcher 3, etc. Those are based off of just a few benchmarks I found around the web.

Thanks for the response. My gtx 1050 takes up the space of a dual fan as it is just a huge bulk and there’s and extra 3-5 inches of space from the end of my bulky graphics card. And how does the RX 580 compare to the 1660ti?

12 minutes ago, VzysPC said:

Thanks for the response. My gtx 1050 takes up the space of a dual fan as it is just a huge bulk and there’s and extra 3-5 inches of space from the end of my bulky graphics card. And how does the RX 580 compare to the 1660ti?

It's on average 27% slower than the 1660 Ti.The 1660 Ti definitely uses an 8-pin connector, though, so I would not go the route of using the 6-pin to 8-pin adapter. Note that in most cases the framerate is above 60 FPS anyway for both cards at 1080p, so if you're on a 60Hz 1080p monitor it should be golden.

Example from Far Cry 5 (a demanding title from last year):

107036.png

1 hour ago, jerubedo said:

It's on average 24% slower than the 1660 Ti.The 1660 Ti definitely uses an 8-pin connector, though, so I would not go the route of using the 6-pin to 8-pin adapter. Note that in most cases the framerate is above 60 FPS anyway for both cards at 1080p, so if you're on a 60Hz 1080p monitor it should be golden.

Example from Far Cry 5 (a demanding title from last year):

107036.png

That is correct, I have a 1080p 60Hz monitor and I can order the RX580 right now, and im left with $200 towards my next purchase, since you've analyzed my current pc, anything you'd recommend, I have already put in 2x8 LPX Vengence DDR4 Ram in my system, and now purchasing the RX I would like to know what else will help gameplay? Also, I do play gta v on pretty much the lowest settings and get about 70-110 on rp servers and about 120-150 on singleplayer, so these benchmarks are on highest, so this means that the gtx1050 is a weak POS, or is my whole system just bad at trying to run games and how does the RX580 compare to the 1050? I see no test including the 1050 (Ive seen 1050ti vs ___) but never a 1050 gtx no ti?

4 hours ago, trevb0t said:

If that's the case, imo your upgrade move is to put yourself into a non-proprietary system. If you're investing $400 you could put yourself into a new system and utilize your GPU until your next upgrade period pretty easily.

Could look a bit like this:

This would be a move into a more customizable PC for future upgrades. The GPU would be your next target, and this would have all the guts to make changes.

The MATX gaming plus might get a little flak, but it's not too bad for that price imo.

I do plan on building one in the future and I will most certainly save this and come back, I will be purchasing the RX580 and I plan on buying the i5(over the i7 from what i've seen it doesn't impact a TON) but i'll for sure have to invest in a case,motherboard, and a power supply, but everthing else should be compatable!

2 minutes ago, VzysPC said:

That is correct, I have a 1080p 60Hz monitor and I can order the RX580 right now, and im left with $200 towards my next purchase, since you've analyzed my current pc, anything you'd recommend, I have already put in 2x8 LPX Vengence DDR4 Ram in my system, and now purchasing the RX I would like to know what else will help gameplay?

From a hardware perspective I'd say there isn't much more you can do. We don't know if a better 8th gen CPU would actually work in that motherboard (it could be BIOS locked to the 8100 only, or it could only use a 4-pin CPU connector (H310) where the 8700K likes to have an 8-pin CPU connector in order to boost to its specified boost clocks). Since it's proprietary, we really have no way to know. The same goes for the GPU. The RX 580 is seemingly the best you can do with a 6-pin connector (without knowing the +12V rail amperage). 16GB of RAM is golden.

Maybe an SSD? It'll affect load times (not FPS though) and boot times. For $200 you can get a nice high capacity SSD, and if your motherboard has an M.2 slot you can get a nice NVMe drive.

From a hardware perspective I'd say there isn't much more you can do. We don't know if a better 8th gen CPU would actually work in that motherboard (it could be BIOS locked to the 8100 only, or it could only use a 4-pin CPU connector (H310) where the 8700K likes to have an 8-pin CPU connector in order to boost to its specified boost clocks). Since it's proprietary, we really have no way to know. The same goes for the GPU. The RX 580 is seemingly the best you can do with a 6-pin connector (without knowing the +12V rail amperage). 16GB of RAM is golden.

Maybe an SSD? It'll affect load times (not FPS though) and boot times. For $200 you can get a nice high capacity SSD, and if your motherboard has an M.2 slot you can get a nice NVMe drive.

From what I see on the customizability on the Dell website the version of the PC that has the i7 and gtx 1060 3gb has the same motherboard AND power supply as the one I have, don't know if that helps on if i should upgrade my cpu or not.

4 minutes ago, VzysPC said:

I do plan on building one in the future and I will most certainly save this and come back, I will be purchasing the RX580 and I plan on buying the i5(over the i7 from what i've seen it doesn't impact a TON) but i'll for sure have to invest in a case,motherboard, and a power supply, but everthing else should be compatable!

Stepping up to an i5 won't do much with the RX 580. Getting a better CPU helps when we're in the territory of GPUs like the GTX 1080/1080 Ti, RTX 2060, RTX 2070, RTX 2080/2080 Ti, Vega VII, etc. because those cards get bottlenecked by lower end CPUs and stepping up to a better CPU allows them to stretch their legs.

1 minute ago, VzysPC said:

From what I see on the customizability on the Dell website the version of the PC that has the i7 and gtx 1060 3gb has the same motherboard AND power supply as the one I have, don't know if that helps on if i should upgrade my cpu or not.

IF you can confirm that the motherboard is indeed the same, then it SHOULD work (but still not guaranteed if it's the case that they lock the chip via their BIOS). The 1060 3GB still uses a 6-pin connector, so that doesn't tell me anything new about the +12V rail. If you can look on the power supply itself to see if you can see further specs, I'd just need to know the amperage on the +12V rail. If it's listed, post here. Depending on what it says, maybe we can go up to a GTX 1660 Ti with a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter.

Stepping up to an i5 won't do much with the RX 580. Getting a better CPU helps when we're in the territory of GPUs like the GTX 1080/1080 Ti, RTX 2060, RTX 2070, RTX 2080/2080 Ti, Vega VII, etc. because those cards get bottlenecked by lower end CPUs and stepping up to a better CPU allows them to stretch their legs.

Alright so could you tell me if there is a  difference between these 2 RX's

MSI: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137411&Description=RX 580&cm_re=RX_580-_-14-137-411-_-Product

ASRock(the one you sent): https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814930009&Description=ASRock phantom gaming RX 580&cm_re=ASRock_phantom_gaming_RX_580-_-14-930-009-_-Product

I like the look of the MSI and the price is lower, don't know the difference as this is my first time getting into PC upgrades, I've owned my PC for just at 3 and a half months and this is my first gaming pc!

Alright so could you tell me if there is a  difference between these 2 RX's

MSI: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137411&Description=RX 580&cm_re=RX_580-_-14-137-411-_-Product

ASRock(the one you sent): https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814930009&Description=ASRock phantom gaming RX 580&cm_re=ASRock_phantom_gaming_RX_580-_-14-930-009-_-Product

I like the look of the MSI and the price is lower, don't know the difference as this is my first time getting into PC upgrades, I've owned my PC for just at 3 and a half months and this is my first gaming pc!

That one uses an 8-pin connector which means that it'll OC a little higher and perform better out of the box, but again I would only stick with 6-pin until we can get the amperage on the +12V rail (if we can get it).

IF you can confirm that the motherboard is indeed the same, then it SHOULD work (but still not guaranteed if it's the case that they lock the chip via their BIOS). The 1060 3GB still uses a 6-pin connector, so that doesn't tell me anything new about the +12V rail. If you can look on the power supply itself to see if you can see further specs, I'd just need to know the amperage on the +12V rail. If it's listed, post here. Depending on what it says, maybe we can go up to a GTX 1660 Ti with a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter.

The Power Supply has 460W with Air Cooling which you probably already know, I'd have to open up my rig to find the information you need, which is a hassle but would finding out be worth it?

That one uses an 8-pin connector which means that it'll OC a little higher and perform better out of the box, but again I would only stick with 6-pin until we can get the amperage on the +12V rail (if we can get it).

Type 460 W
Input voltage 100 VAC to 240 VAC
Input frequency 50 Hz to 60 Hz
Input current 8.0 A

Temperature range
Operating
5°C to 50°C (41°F to 122°F)

Storage
-40°C to 70°C (-40°F to 158°F)

Just now, VzysPC said:

The Power Supply has 460W with Air Cooling which you probably already know, I'd have to open up my rig to find the information you need, which is a hassle but would finding out be worth it?

Yeah, it would be worth knowing. Like if it has 22A on the +12V rail(s), then you technically can do the GTX 1660 Ti. The i3 8100 draws 105W at peak, and the GTX 1660 Ti draws 131W at peak, so 22 Amps would JUST cover that. If it's only 18A, then we're out of luck.

Yeah, it would be worth knowing. Like if it has 22A on the +12V rail(s), then you technically can do the GTX 1660 Ti. The i3 8100 draws 105W at peak, and the GTX 1660 Ti draws 131W at peak, so 22 Amps would JUST cover that. If it's only 18A, then we're out of luck.

This is what I was told

Type 460 W
Input current 8.0 A

Temperature range
Operating

Storage

Or am I gonna have to open up my pc and look, i contacted dell support and thats what they gave me

Just now, VzysPC said:

This is what I was told

Type 460 W
Input current 8.0 A

Temperature range
Operating

Storage

Or am I gonna have to open up my pc and look, i contacted dell support and thats what they gave me

Unfortunately, that doesn't have the spec we're looking for. You'd have to open it :( But hey, you're going to have to open it anyway to put the new part in! lol

Unfortunately, that doesn't have the spec we're looking for. You'd have to open it :( But hey, you're going to have to open it anyway to put the new part in! lol

I'll inform you when i get it open!

I'll inform you when i get it open!

Sweet. A picture would probably be best if possible.

3 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Sweet. A picture would probably be best if possible.

10 minutes ago, VzysPC said:

Oh, good, that's a total of 42A across 3 rails with a max output of 385W. That should be just fine for a GTX 1660 Ti. I'd go with that then! You'll need a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter as well.

Here:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-6-Pin-Adapter/dp/B01DV1Z32Y/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=6-pin+to+8-pin+adapter&qid=1554928438&s=electronics&sr=1-3

The GTX 1660 Ti will certainly be more future proof.

3 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Here:

You’re honestly the greatest person I’ve met online. You’ve been a huge help and I appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me put together my bootleg prebuilt gaming machine. I will decide on what I’m doing tonight and I’ll let you know. Moving my pc put me in a mood where I want to change my room around so I’m moving my desk lmao. Thank you and I’ll keep you updated!