Upgrade CPU or GPU

VzysPC
Go to solution Solved by jerubedo,
10 minutes ago, VzysPC said:

307F2493-23D3-4C37-947A-2A41998D4337.jpeg

Oh, good, that's a total of 42A across 3 rails with a max output of 385W. That should be just fine for a GTX 1660 Ti. I'd go with that then! You'll need a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter as well.

Here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NJPKZQG/?tag=pcpapi-20

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-6-Pin-Adapter/dp/B01DV1Z32Y/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=6-pin+to+8-pin+adapter&qid=1554928438&s=electronics&sr=1-3

The GTX 1660 Ti will certainly be more future proof.

47 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Maybe an SSD? It'll affect load times (not FPS though) and boot times. For $200 you can get a nice high capacity SSD, and if your motherboard has an M.2 slot you can get a nice NVMe drive.

That $200 could also start toward something like a 1660Ti if he so chose. I've seen plenty of videos that indicate the difference between NVMe and SATA SSDs are essentially zilch in gaming performance. There are plenty of SATA SSDs for ~$50 at ~500GB.

M.2 and NVMe is cool ass tech to be sure. Just not that feasible in gaming YET

8 minutes ago, VzysPC said:

You’re honestly the greatest person I’ve met online. You’ve been a huge help and I appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me put together my bootleg prebuilt gaming machine. I will decide on what I’m doing tonight and I’ll let you know. Moving my pc put me in a mood where I want to change my room around so I’m moving my desk lmao. Thank you and I’ll keep you updated!

Show him/her the love by making his answer the answer to the post, if this best answers it!

1 hour ago, jerubedo said:

I identify as a toaster, thank you very much! :P ?

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-192-bit-Graphics-ZT-T16600F-10L/dp/B07PD2LG7Z/ref=asc_df_B07PD2LG7Z/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=320228665853&hvpos=1o12&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2369031521844546871&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012336&hvtargid=aud-643574997066:pla-677301052228&psc=1

How does that compare to the one you sent? My friend irl recommended Zotac to me and said this should be pretty equal and there shouldnt be a huge difference?

7 minutes ago, VzysPC said:

As far as brands go, they are all about the same within the same model, so it's whichever you prefer. I personally give preference to EVGA because they have the best warranty and they have a step-up program (look into it if you aren't familiar) with a runner-up of Gigabyte and I'll usually just go with whichever is cheaper between the two. However, the one you linked is a GTX 1660, not a GTX 1660 Ti. The Ti performs a fair bit better as seen here:

jpg.jpg

As far as brands go, they are all about the same, so it's whichever you prefer. I personally give preference to EVGA because they have the best warranty and they have a step-up program (look into it if you aren't familiar) with a runner-up of Gigabyte and I'll usually just go with whichever is cheaper between the two. However, the one you linked is a GTX 1660, not a GTX 1660 Ti. The Ti performs a fair bit better as seen here:

jpg.jpg

I'll send a screenshot of what I buy, will make the purchase within the next hour!

As far as brands go, they are all about the same within the same model, so it's whichever you prefer. I personally give preference to EVGA because they have the best warranty and they have a step-up program (look into it if you aren't familiar) with a runner-up of Gigabyte and I'll usually just go with whichever is cheaper between the two. However, the one you linked is a GTX 1660, not a GTX 1660 Ti. The Ti performs a fair bit better as seen here:

jpg.jpg

Just want to say thank you for helping me make the first upgrade to my pc! Went with the 1660 TI after a while of debating if the extra $100 would be worth it I took the shot. You’re a legend toaster. @jerubedo

D691796E-1428-4F25-9B40-56480995F16A.jpeg

3 minutes ago, VzysPC said:

Just want to say thank you for helping me make the first upgrade to my pc! Went with the 1660 TI after a while of debating if the extra $100 would be worth it I took the shot. You’re a legend toaster. @jerubedo

D691796E-1428-4F25-9B40-56480995F16A.jpeg

Sweet! And thank you! Enjoy it in good health. That card will do some very nice gaming!

Sweet! And thank you! Enjoy it in good health. That card will do some very nice gaming!

Can't wait to build a pc from scratch within the next year or so, been a huge linustechtips fan since i was like 11 and wanted a gaming pc, now im 16 got a job and can finally afford to build one, but dont need to so im just makin upgrades, im glad i decided to come on here because my friend had me convinced that a i7-8700 Intel Processor was the first thing i needed to upgrade... Lmk if you can find ANY 1050 vs 1660 ti , tests so i can build my hype up for friday when i get home from school!

1 minute ago, VzysPC said:

Can't wait to build a pc from scratch within the next year or so, been a huge linustechtips fan since i was like 11 and wanted a gaming pc, now im 16 got a job and can finally afford to build one, but dont need to so im just makin upgrades, im glad i decided to come on here because my friend had me convinced that a i7-8700 Intel Processor was the first thing i needed to upgrade... Lmk if you can find ANY 1050 vs 1660 ti , tests so i can build my hype up for friday when i get home from school!

Hmmm, it seems pretty difficult to find a direct comparison between the two since they are worlds apart. The best I found was a comparison of the 1660 Ti vs the 1050 Ti here:

Note that the 1050 is a fair bit worse than the 1050 Ti so expect your difference in FPS to be even greater. I hope that helps build the hype!

13 minutes ago, VzysPC said:

Better yet, here's a video showing 20 games with the 1660 Ti and the i3 8100, so basically your setup:

Hmmm, it seems pretty difficult to find a direct comparison between the two since they are worlds apart. The best I found was a comparison of the 1660 Ti vs the 1050 Ti here:

Note that the 1050 is a fair bit worse than the 1050 Ti so expect your difference in FPS to be even greater. I hope that helps build the hype!

I found a few comparing the 1050ti and 1660ti and its a huge difference 40-100fps difference, if i keep my setting for every game, (low) ill see a 100-200+ fps jump, because all these benchmarks are on max settings, i play everygame on low just to get as much fps possible! (my pc can run a okay amount of games on max settings, but i prefer 100+ fps over 60fps, but with this huge upgrade ill def raise my settings for now on!

Better yet, here's a video showing 20 games with the 1660 Ti and the i3 8100, so basically your setup:

This is my setup! this will be fun to watch!

On 4/10/2019 at 9:11 AM, VzysPC said:

I was told 1060 Ti, which has more impact?

1660ti is 280usd and the rx 580 right now for the strix card is 180 , its a little bit slower than the 1660 ti but has 2 more gigs or v ram and it can max any game at 1080p still with over 60 fps

On 4/10/2019 at 7:58 PM, jerubedo said:

Was a breeze to install and It runs GTA V max settings 120+ FPS. On lowest settings my 1050 wouldn’t get 70. Thank you for helping me out! ❤️  (p.s. it was a breeze to install) and it was too big because my pc had a screw-in cable hider. But it was worth losing! 

384C760C-EB40-4D5F-9C48-618E79AA11B4.jpeg

3 minutes ago, VzysPC said:

Was a breeze to install and It runs GTA V max settings 120+ FPS. On lowest settings my 1050 wouldn’t get 70. Thank you for helping me out! ❤️  (p.s. it was a breeze to install) and it was too big because my pc had a screw-in cable hider. But it was worth losing! 

384C760C-EB40-4D5F-9C48-618E79AA11B4.jpeg

Sweet! I'm glad everything went smooth!