Best budget GPU for 2019 - 1080p {nvidia}

Wr0ngEnemy_
3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

New, pretty much around $20 less for a 1070 than a 1660ti. Second hand, I'd expect around $200-$250 USD. Mine (which was second hand) cost me $352 AUD, which I was fine with as my (kind of bad) GTX 970 cost me over $550 AUD, right after its launch.

I'm 5 hours away from winning an eBay auction for a used 1060 for $185, shipping included. Sellers usually charge $25 to $60 to ship to African countries so is it a good deal?

20 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I'm 5 hours away from winning an eBay auction for a used 1060 for $185, shipping included. Sellers usually charge $25 to $60 to ship to African countries so is it a good deal?

Considering they do (or at least did) cost around $250 USD new in Africa, that's a good deal. That is if you are talking about the 6GB GTX 1060.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I mean, you can't recommend nvidia at the low end, you just can't. The RX 570 is that far ahead on price to performance that you can't possibly buy nvidia at the low end. The 3gb 1060 is horrible and the 6gb 1060 is smacked all over by the rx 580. The 1660 is just too expensive and gets beat out by Polaris in some games, and that is a total embarrassment. 

That leaves you with the rx 570 8gb.

But if you absolutely HAVE to buy Nvidia, then I guess the 1660 is the way to go.

And if you don't want the rx 570 8gb and want a bit more power, you skip Polaris, skip the 1660 and 1660ti, and you get Vega 56. Vega 56 is slaying everything right now at the midrange.

11 hours ago, Wr0ngEnemy_ said:

Yes it has to be nvidia card because im tired of my amd gpu constantly getting artifacts because of its temperature and coil whine's and crap

So it has to be nVidia because your AMD GPU is dead?
Logic??

If it was from the beginning, why not RMA stuff?!

That's not normal, that's a dead Card!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

10 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Did you ever pay attention when brand new 2000 series Nvidia Cards were literally dying and artifacting? 

Of course not!
if an nVidia Card dies, it gets replaced.

But its usually also not used for more than 2, maybe 3 years while AMD Cards are often used 5-7 Years or even more. There are probably more people in this forum gaming with a Tahiti Card than a GK104...

Anyway, its this:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3394-rtx-2080-ti-artifacting-failure-analysis-crashing-black-screens

Video:

So that proves that nVidia also fails. Everything does.

So what's the point??

10 hours ago, KingCry said:

Pretty sure that was a memory manufacturing issue anyways. But they also said why the specifically don't want a Radeon card anyways.

That is totally irrelevant what was the cause and why it failed.

The point was that it did.

And that there are a ton of people out there with the same Problems that he has just on the other Side.

So why not mention that and tell the truth?!

10 hours ago, KingCry said:

It's a per user situational issue. OP probably has had bad experiences with AMD gpu's.

Yeah and that means you shouldn't explain things to him?
Why does it always have to be nVidia?!
It doesn't!
AMD is just as good and right now at least in the lower price regions the better choice.

That he was unlucky with his card is regrettable but you're not safe on either side with any component!

Hell even your Mixer can break. But that is what the Warranty is for.

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

*looks at good-as-new HD7970 GHz edition @ 1.11GHz* Yeah, the problem is quite simply that some manufacturers use a rather bad batch of components, or simply a shit design. And I know for a fact that both AMD and Nvidia have taken flak for mistakes made by AIB partners.

Naa, nVidia not so much. Only in rare cases gets nVidia blamed for a broken Card. Sadly that is not the Case on AMD side, where AMD gets blamed if Gigabyte botches the Design again or ASUS, MSI...

Even if its a total custom design like my Gigabyte 7970GHz/280X, wich abused the cooling solution, that wasn't that great to begin with for the higher clocked GHz Version of Tahit. With the normal 7970OC the Cooling Solution was not too bad. With the 7970GHz/280X however.... Oh dear. What were they thinking?!

But that's a general Problem that the Manufacturers save a penny or two more on AMD Designs and AMD gets blamed for this shit...

PS: The first HIS 7970GHz was quieter under load but had loud motor/bearing noise. The second 7970GHz had unbearable Coil/Capacitor Whine. Third one became a Gigabyte wich is pretty quiet on the Desktop but as soon as you start a Game, oh boy...

That HD7970 BTW is made by Gigabyte

Condolences.
I feel your pain.

And you feel my pain with the Card...

At least they have some kind of Cooling Solution on the VRM (wich might be the real reason for the high fan speed that the VRM might have been a bit shit on the newer Custom Design Versions)...

And while it performed well my 970 ran as just hot (and a lot louder) than the HD7970. Because the fans themselves on my 970 were terrible as Gigabyte changed their supplier.

Wait, what?! They made the 970 even worse than the 7970???
I mean the 7970OC Bios on my 7970GHz Edition was OK and bearable but even louder than the latest GHz/280X BIOS??? (280X is the same PCB but later Versions were black and they gave them a new fan shroud. Pretty useless changes though. The good thing is 0,05V less for GPU VCore)...

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I've had my GTX 970 choked at 1080p by it's 4GB of vRAM (3.5GB depending on the game).

I really don't get why the hell they castrated a memory controller and deactivated the Cache of the Memory Controller.

That leads to the need to flush the cache if you want to access the last 512MiB. 

To be honest: IT would be smarter to completely deactivate that part of the Memory Controller and use only 3,5GiB. Heck even 3GiB would have been better in the end...

22 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

-snip-

The HD7970 is actually silent by comparison. Its the got the old and good version of the Windforce x3 cooler (which can actually dissipate 300W with the fans only at 70% - think Sapphire quality cooling). With the 970 they made the Windforce x3 cooler long AF, but the entire card is far lighter as the heatsink uses far less material, which is why Gigabyte's 900 series models were generally the cheapest (or very close to).

I'd have 2x of them in crossfire right now, but the MSI reference GHz card (from the same store, on display next to the first one) was dead, killed by being clogged with dust.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL