How can I prevent artifacting on a RX580?

I'm stable while running the furry donut while overclocked to 1575Mhz on core but, it immediately becomes unstable and begins to artifact at 70C-72C and crashes soon after the temp reaches 76C. How can I fix this so I can clock to 1600Mhz+?

Adding to what @LukeSavenijesaid, install a better cooler, you need to cool VRMs and VRAMs if you are thinking about pushing any further.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

upped power and voltage?

Yes, I did. In fact, I had to in order to clock that high. I can't remember what my voltage was though.

"I'm stable"

"it immediately becomes unstable"

These two statements disagree, your OC isn't stable at all. They can often seem stable but crash after 5 minutes, 20 minutes, or even an hour or two. You defo wanna max the power limit and push the voltage as far as you can without going over the safe max or getting temps too high though, if you don't your card doesn't have any more juice to push a higher clockspeed. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Levent said:

Adding to what @LukeSavenijesaid, install a better cooler, you need to cool VRMs and VRAMs if you are thinking about pushing any further.

I'm currently using the stock cooler with the gpu

Just now, Kaicer said:

I'm currently using the stock cooler with the gpu

What model? And what are you using to OC, wattman, afterburner, something else? 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Improve cooling or upp voltage and power.

TBH its not wort trying to get the last few MHZ when you have to deal with random crashes or artifacts. 

I usually even back down a little from what seems stable so I dont randomly run into issues.

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

depends what's on it rn, if it's a armor, i agree

there has been a thread on this,  but they never overclock it that fare...

so maybe go with.

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

upped power and voltage?

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

What model? And what are you using to OC, wattman, afterburner, something else? 

XFX Rx580 GTS Black Edition. I'm currently using Wattman.

5 minutes ago, Kaicer said:

'm stable while running the

6 minutes ago, Kaicer said:

it immediately becomes unstable and begins to artifact at 70C-72C and crashes soon after the temp reaches 76C.

So you're not stable at all.

6 minutes ago, Kaicer said:

furry donut

This is the worse and most useless software there is, it's workload is completely unrealistically and extremely more demanding than anything you'll ever use your GPU truly for, so it's pointless to test stability with it as it'll probably demand you to actually underclock your GPU to run stable.

Older cards like Maxwell and RX 400 series would actual break running FurMark for too long, so many lost their cards to this useless junk both nVidia and AMD had to develop a safer throttle mechanic specially for it to prevent permanent damage.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

This is the worse and most useless software there is, it's workload is completely unrealistically and extremely more demanding than anything you'll ever use your GPU truly for, so it's pointless to test stability with it as it'll probably demand you to actually underclock your GPU to run stable.

What application would you recommend then?

2 minutes ago, Kaicer said:

Heaven Benchmark or Superposition.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Kaicer said:

Unigine valley on a loop at 1080p or 1440p. That's what I used to OC my RX480, Vega FE, and for my RVII. Run that with afterburner open and tweak settings in realtime, as soon as you see a hint of artifacting, smack the reset button in afterburner, then put in the last stable settings or push more voltage/power target, hit apply, and see how it goes. If it artifacts for too long you get a blackscreen, sometimes it recovers, other times you have to restart the whole PC. 

Main PC 

9 minutes ago, jah118 said:

there has been a thread on this,  but they never overclock it that fare...

so maybe go with.

Wait If I'm stable at 1520-1530 I won the silicone lottery with my GPU or am I just being stupid?

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Heaven Benchmark or Superposition.

or valley, but it's a little older

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

If it artifacts for too long you get a blackscreen, sometimes it recovers, other times you have to restart the whole PC. 

That's exactly what I've been experiencing.

So you've got a decent cooler, it's not an Armor card at least. Perhaps you ought to change the thermal pads on the VRMs, alter voltage and remove the backplate. I know on certain cards, the backplate is an after thought and negatively effects performance(EVGA learned this the hard way). The furry donut is a pretty awful benchmark to run on that GPU no offense. That'd be like running Prime 95 at full tilt without knowing what you're doing. When I want to tune my card I run the Heaven benchmark and up voltage/clockspeed in small increments until I reach the highest possible OC with good stability/temps.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

An OC becoming unstable when the temperatures rise doesn't mean the overclock is completely unstable, useless or whatever else everyone keeps saying.

Overclocking isn't just voltage and frequency. Otherwise liquid cooling and extreme cooling would have no impact.

I agree that it probably isn't worth it just to squeeze the last few MHz the card has to give, but you could upgrade the cooling to an aftermarket heatsink or some kind of waterblock (a universal one in a custom loop, an AIO with a bracket etc.), if you just enjoy tinkering with your rig.

I do that mainly to achieve low temperatures and low noise, but even I have noticed while playing around with my GPU that a previously stable overclock became unstable once I put the stock heatsink back on for a bit.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

3 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Perhaps you ought to change the thermal pads on the VRMs, alter voltage and remove the backplate. I know on certain cards, the backplate is an after thought and negatively effects performance(EVGA learned this the hard way).

3 minutes ago, DJ46 said:

I agree that it probably isn't worth it just to squeeze the last few MHz the card has to give, but you could upgrade the cooling to an aftermarket heatsink or some kind of waterblock (a universal one in a custom loop, an AIO with a bracket etc.), if you just enjoy tinkering with your rig.

I'll try doing all of the above and see what results I manage to get.

XFX are lower tier cards compared to other brands such as ASUS Strix. If you're able to get 1575mhz then good for you but 98% of the people with a 580 can't hit that. They seem to top out at 1500-1550 and even then there's no guarantee. My 580 could only hit 1460 stable. Would crash at anything above that no matter what I did.

Just go for 1400-1450mhz and 1090-1100mv. That's an overclock and undervolt, which will help with the longevity of the card so you're not always pushing 1.20-1.3v through it.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips