Question about hyperthreading

I'm wondering if two cpus made by the same company around the same time with the same or a very similar clock speed and the same number is cores would have different TDPs if one had hyperthreading and the other didn't. Anyone know this?

Hyperthreading does use more power. You can test this very easily on your pc. This also varies with load.

This might not affect tdp, as its not the same as power usage.

Yes, hyperthreading/SMT uses more power.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 . Motherboard ASUS Prime X370-PRO . RAM 16GB Kit - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz . GPU MSI GTX 780 Ti GAMING 3G . Case Cooler Master Cosmos II . Storage Crucial MX500 500GB SATA SSD . PSU Corsair RM750x (2018) . Display Dell 27" . Cooling CPU Cooler - AMD Wraith Spire (No Led). Intake - 200mm. Exhaust - 140mm. HDD Bays - 2 x 120mm . Keyboard Redragon K551 VARA RGB . Mouse Dell Optical USB Mouse . Sound Urbanears Plattan 2 - Dark Grey . Operating System Windows 10 Home

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Hyperthreading does use more power. You can test this very easily on your pc. This also varies with load.

This might not affect tdp, as its not the same as power usage.

So, there's a good chance that heat output will be greater? Would it be double, since it's twice the number of logical cores?

1 minute ago, Aaralli said:

Would it be double

no

6 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

So, there's a good chance that heat output will be greater? Would it be double, since it's twice the number of logical cores?

As Linus said in the what is hyperthreading techquickie video, it's not that much so maybe 10-25 watts.

Current Gaming build:

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi

Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000mhz 15-17-17-35

Graphics Card: Geforce RTX 2080

Graphics Card Cooler: EVGA XC Ultra Gaming
Storage: 500GB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Blue
PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750W
Case: Corsair 460x Black
Case Cooling: A mix and match of fans ?
Peripherals:

Monitor: HP 27ea
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE
Mouse: Corsair Glaive Black
Headphones: Corsair HS60
Microphone: Blue Snowball Black Edition

"Gaming" Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Mid-2012 with Nvidia Geforce Now

No, because the chips are physically the same. Heat output might increase somewhat, depending on the workload, from the more efficient use of resources, but it won't be doubled.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Some parts of the core are duplicated, but not all. I think on Intel systems the second "core" has it's own integer and floating point exceution unit but shares cache and access to the interconnecting bus. The FX has a shared floating point unit, but as bugger all is designed around the fact, it hurts performance when 2 threads on the same core try to run floating point instructions at the same time. Not a clue about ZEN as it's been quite a few years since I've actually given a toss about keeping up with hardware. I still use a Core2Quad machine and have just put an LGA771 Xeon machine into service.