Pressure Sensors in android smartphones

This app called Sensors Multitool shows you how each sensor works in your smartphone and I cam across this odd feature: pressure sensor. 

It shows the altitude of the device and the pressure measured in hPa. The weird part is that when I press harder on my screen, the pressure goes up consistently every time. I know my phone doesn't have a pressure sensitive screen however this is interesting. Why does it do that? I also encourage you to download the app and try it yourself as well, see if it does the same. 

Screenshot_20190406-144605.png

Probably cause the sensor reads the pressure exerted on the device/sensor, so maybe pressing on the screen is also putting pressure on said sensor, in turn giving those increased numbers

My Nokia 6.1 doesn't have a pressure sensor so I can't see this page, but seems pretty cool. What's your phone? Do you have any idea what this pressure sensor is used for?

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

Pressure sensor, aka a barometer. Pressing on the screen can change the pressure of the air inside the phone as the glass flexes and displaces air. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

If your phone is waterproof, the airflow will be somewhat restricted which will cause pressure to increase when compressed. 

I used to have a sony Z3c and you could only get that effect the port covers tightly pressed in. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

On 4/7/2019 at 1:50 AM, jake9000 said:

If your phone is waterproof, the airflow will be somewhat restricted which will cause pressure to increase when compressed. 

I used to have a sony Z3c and you could only get that effect the port covers tightly pressed in. 

my phone doesn't have any official waterproofing however the Sim card tray has a rubber ring to stop water from coming in, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is at least splash proof. However this theory would make sense 

On 4/6/2019 at 9:54 PM, Underi said:

My Nokia 6.1 doesn't have a pressure sensor so I can't see this page, but seems pretty cool. What's your phone? Do you have any idea what this pressure sensor is used for?

Honestly, no clue what it could be used for. A crazy theory is that Sony added it to be able to see how much pressure has been applied to the screen in case someone comes in and says that the pixels turned black for no reason, and they'd check the applied pressure and see that the damage was user applied. crazy ass theory tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯