2x8 or 4x8 RAM? Conflicting Information? - Any Difference?

Just wanted to see if anyone can clarify -

Is there going to be any difference between 2x8GB DDR4 3200 MHz compared to getting the same RAM as 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz? 

I’ve read numerous conflicting information on this subject!

Well, one set will have twice the memory.. So that's kind of a difference..

What kind of answer are you looking for? 

Just in general - there is not a speed difference because more sticks, any difference is apparent because more GB of RAM. This will not be a difference in gaming, but is something that will help in 'creative applications' (think video editing, heavy photo/image editing, 3D modeling).

Unless you're going for a platform that support quad channel memory, you'll get two dual channel sets, meaning two will work together, not all 4 together.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Well, one set will have twice the memory.. So that's kind of a difference..

What kind of answer are you looking for? 

Just in general - there is not a speed difference because more sticks, any difference is apparent because more GB of RAM. This will not be a difference in gaming, but is something that will help in 'creative applications' (think video editing, heavy photo/image editing, 3D modeling).

Unless you're going for a platform that support quad channel memory, you'll get two dual channel sets, meaning two will work together, not all 4 together.

I have read that more RAM can put strain on the Memory Controller and that spread over 4 sticks it’s worse. 

I’ve also read above the dual channel being better than the 4?

My Mobo is a ASUS MAXIMUS XI FORUMLA. 

CPU is i9-9900K. 

Is this better for dual or quad?

Plus they are exactly the same but they are 2x kits. 

I’ve read you need to buy them as a 4?

i purchased 2 sticks and then ordered another 2 after - will this make a difference?

Again, the information said even if they are exactly the same model, being in different kits can mean there are subtle differences and cause stability issues?

9 minutes ago, Knight77 said:

I have read that more RAM can put strain on the Memory Controller and that spread over 4 sticks it’s worse. 

My Mobo is a ASUS MAXIMUS XI FORUMLA. 

CPU is i9-9900K. 

i purchased 2 sticks and then ordered another 2 after - will this make a difference?

Again, the information said even if they are exactly the same model, being in different kits can mean there are subtle differences and cause stability issues?

Pretty much dead on here you will not see a perform difference between the two period!

Just now, Knight77 said:

My Mobo is a ASUS MAXIMUS FORUMLA

CPU is i9-9900K. 

Let's just start off by saying this system will only do dual channel memory, so two sticks will work together; not all 4 together.

Let me just answer all your questions in order..

If you have two sticks: you have dual channel. 4 sticks would be two times dual channel.

I can't speak about that.. I don't know the inside of the system well enough to comment on that; I can just look at real life tests and get my answers from that.

As said above, you won't be running quad channel, 4 sticks would be 2 times dual channel. I mention this because quad channel is another different technology..

You won't encounter a huge difference because of having another dual channel; the difference will come from having twice the memory. Something that doesn't make a difference in gaming, but will in streaming, recording, (video/photo) editing, etc.

If you get two exactly the same kits it will work flawlessly. If you decide to get a kit that differs in specs (e.g. a CL14 and a CL16 set) it will usually run at the lower of the two specs, but you will have a harder time overclocking the sets (because you're working with two different speced sets).

Getting two the same sets: good.

Getting two different spec sets: chance it might not run very well, chance it will run just fine.

In theory there could be differences.. The brands like Corsair, Gskill, Geil, etc. don't make the memory themselves, which in theory could mean they use a Samsung, SK Hynix, etc. memory on the kits interchangably.

They shouldn't do that, let's be clear, RAM kit with version number X will be the same as another kit version X, but once you start to match set Y with it; it might use other memory.

The only way to know if your use case will benefit from more memory; is by looking up a benchmark for it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, kidroc666 said:

Pretty much dead on here you will not see a perform difference between the two period!

Its not a performance increase im looking for, 

I just want to know if there is any disadvantage as to going 4x8. 

There can be a difference, with 2 or 4 of the same modules running dual channel. Assuming it is recent-ish ram each stick is single rank. Running two sticks per channel will mean 2 rank per channel. This is the part that puts "strain" on the IMC, but if it works, it doesn't matter. Maybe it means you might not overclock it as far, that's about it.

Where rank makes a difference is if you care more about bandwidth or latency. In general, 2R per channel over 1R will get you a little bit more measured bandwidth, at the cost of a little bit of extra latency. Personally I'd take 2R/channel any day, as my use cases benefit more from the effective bandwidth than latency.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I have NEVER had stability issues mixing 2 matching kits, shit i've never had stability issues mixing different BRANDS, SPEEDS and CAPACITIES.

unless you are going for a MAX MEMORY OC you can possibly get you will probably never see any compatibility issues on Intel systems.

yes if you want to over clock your higher then the rated speeds on the box two will clock better then 4 every time..

1 minute ago, kidroc666 said:

yes if you want to over clock your higher then the rated speeds on the box two will clock better then 4 every time..

I just want the factory standard 3200MHz that the sticks do. 

Again, the two kits are these:

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Memory/Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW16GX4M2C3200C16

I bought a pair and then last week I bought another pair. 

But then read that I could lose performance by having 4 instead of 2.