Will a Noctua NH-D15S be enough for a 9940X?

fxscreamer
Go to solution Solved by Taf the Ghost,
8 minutes ago, fxscreamer said:

I have a 9940X on the way (14-core) since my current system died, and currently have a NH-D15S inside a Fractal Design R6 TG with the stock case fans. I don't plan to overclock anytime soon at the moment since I just want stability for now. I might run XMP 3200 on my ram, but that's about it. Will this be ok? Noctua says it'll work on Basin Falls 2066, but with that many cores, I was curious if anyone had experience, let alone knowing what type of headroom I have.

You'll be fine. If you try to hit 5 Ghz, you'll have problems, but at stock you'll be more than fine. Might want to make sure you have the mounting parts, though, as you might need to order new ones for the X299 platform if they aren't in the box.

I have a 9940X on the way (14-core) since my current system died, and currently have a NH-D15S inside a Fractal Design R6 TG with the stock case fans. I don't plan to overclock anytime soon at the moment since I just want stability for now. I might run XMP 3200 on my ram, but that's about it. Will this be ok? Noctua says it'll work on Basin Falls 2066, but with that many cores, I was curious if anyone had experience, let alone knowing what type of headroom I have.

Frostbyte: Intel Core i7 14700K * ASUS Z790 Creator Wifi * Noctua NH-D15S w/ Chromax * 64GB DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z RGB 6400 * ASUS Pro Art 4070Ti OC * 2TB Samsung 980 Pro * 4TB Crucial P3 * 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus * 2TB WD Blue SSD * Universal Audio Arrow *  Seasonic Prime 750W Platinum * Fractal North (White) * LG 27GN950-B 4K * Dell U2718Q 27" 4K * Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 Touch

https://builds.gg/builds/frostbyte-2021-studio-rig-31809

8 minutes ago, fxscreamer said:

You'll be fine. If you try to hit 5 Ghz, you'll have problems, but at stock you'll be more than fine. Might want to make sure you have the mounting parts, though, as you might need to order new ones for the X299 platform if they aren't in the box.

Noctua's site even says you have some overclocking headroom, so you're all good. As long as you still have the mounting kit.

Ok thanks! I purchased the heatsink in 2018, well after 2066 was out so I should be ok, though I’ll double check. If I overclock at all, it’ll probably be mild, 4ghz max.

I’m a little weary right now since my X99 system gave me a 00 code on my 5820k at 4.3ghz. I only oc’d it like this in the last 6 months. Worried I killed it even though I was stable at safe voltages.

Frostbyte: Intel Core i7 14700K * ASUS Z790 Creator Wifi * Noctua NH-D15S w/ Chromax * 64GB DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z RGB 6400 * ASUS Pro Art 4070Ti OC * 2TB Samsung 980 Pro * 4TB Crucial P3 * 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus * 2TB WD Blue SSD * Universal Audio Arrow *  Seasonic Prime 750W Platinum * Fractal North (White) * LG 27GN950-B 4K * Dell U2718Q 27" 4K * Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 Touch

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Noctua's site even says you have some overclocking headroom, so you're all good. As long as you still have the mounting kit.

Thanks! I also replied before but forgot to add reply for you. 

If I went to an AIO like a NZXT Kraken X62, would that fare better? More importantly, what’s the noise and reliability / maintenance these days on AIO’s. This is a workstation and don’t want hassles.

2 minutes ago, fxscreamer said:

Thanks! I also replied before but forgot to add reply for you. 

If I went to an AIO like a NZXT Kraken X62, would that fair better? More importantly, what’s the noise and reliability / maintenance these days on AIO’s. This is a workstation and don’t want hassles.

A D15 will cool about as well as most 240 Rads. And, generally, with less noise. It's the best air cooler on the market still, and it takes a very large AIO to actually do better for total capacity. Obviously, most AIOs will run a little cooler, but that doesn't matter much for CPUs.