Need new GPU and can't decide

rAYRYN
Go to solution Solved by MeatFeastMan,

Go for Vega 56. It's on a really good price right now, and you've got a decent enough psu for it.

Here's a powercolor red dragon vega 56 for a really nice price: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/3Nx2FT/powercolor-radeon-rx-vega-56-8gb-red-dragon-video-card-axrx-vega-56-8gbhbm2-2d2hdoc

That red dragon is a really good model so I suggest you take that up. Vega 56 is the best card overall right now out of those you mention, when you consider all the different aspects. It has the 8gb vram of the 2070 which is crucial, it has HBCC which can back that vram up, something Nvidia doesn't have. It has more performance than all but the 2060 and 2070, which both have major flaws (2060 only has 6gb vram and the 2070 is way overpriced).

Either go for what I mentioned, or wait for Navi to come along in June/July.

Hello,

So my old GPU died and I need a "quick" replacement and can't decide which card to buy.

My CPU will bottleneck the GPU in the next weeks but I'm planning to replacing this one aswell in the near future (2600 or 2700x depends on the budget).

Got a Corsair rm550x btw.

I mostly play videogames (1080p) on a more or less comp lvl (CS:GO, WoW, DotA) so the graphics in these games don't really matter to me (just want to get constant 120+fps for my screen).

I still want to play some singleplayer games (witcher 3, Farcry 5, maybe the new AC and so) and enjoy the graphics a little bit and with around 60fps would be nice.

Maybe I will upgrade to 1440p but not in the next 1-1.5 years.

I was thinking about the

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 590 8GD5

RX 580

Vega 56 (dont know which one)

RTX 2060/2070

1660 (ti)

or should I wait for the a new one comming soon?

Don't want to invest much more than I need for my "goals" ;) 

So please share your thoughts on what you would pick an why? :D ("I want a good bang for my buck" hope the phrase is right)

Hope you have/had a great day, evening or morning and thanks in advance ;)

2060 is easier to use, Vega 56 is cheaper. Vega cards need more tuning (voltage and frequencies) to work to their max potential and the cheap ones usually have inadequate coolers. The 2060 cost a bit more, but you can't really go wrong as you can find good coolers on the cheapest models. Factory settings also get the most of them out already.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Go for Vega 56. It's on a really good price right now, and you've got a decent enough psu for it.

Here's a powercolor red dragon vega 56 for a really nice price: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/3Nx2FT/powercolor-radeon-rx-vega-56-8gb-red-dragon-video-card-axrx-vega-56-8gbhbm2-2d2hdoc

That red dragon is a really good model so I suggest you take that up. Vega 56 is the best card overall right now out of those you mention, when you consider all the different aspects. It has the 8gb vram of the 2070 which is crucial, it has HBCC which can back that vram up, something Nvidia doesn't have. It has more performance than all but the 2060 and 2070, which both have major flaws (2060 only has 6gb vram and the 2070 is way overpriced).

17 hours ago, MeatFeastMan said:

I'm also open for other suggestions :D

ok so as I read I will have to overclock/ undervolt it.. is that right? you know a good guide for that?

Will the 2600(x) be a good enough CPU for it or should I reach for another CPU? Maybe the 2700(x) or a completly different?

thank you all for the quick answers 

4 minutes ago, rAYRYN said:

I'm also open for other suggestions :D

ok so as I read I will have to overclock/ undervolt it.. is that right? you know a good guide for that?

Will the 2600(x) be a good enough CPU for it or should I reach for another CPU? Maybe the 2700(x) or a completly different?

thank you all for the quick answers 

Yes the 2600 is easily good enough. Ryzen 2000 can deal with all gpu's other than a 2080ti which it bottlenecks very slightly. The 2700/x isn't necessary for gaming and you'd only need the cores if you wanted really good looking streams or other heavy non-gaming workloads.

And yes undervolting/overclocking vega is the way to go with it. You don't absolutely have to do it or anything, you can keep it at stock and it'll be just fine.

Here's a guide you could try:

Haven't watched it fully but I imagine it'll show you what to do properly.

23 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Yes the 2600 is easily good enough. Ryzen 2000 can deal with all gpu's other than a 2080ti which it bottlenecks very slightly. The 2700/x isn't necessary for gaming and you'd only need the cores if you wanted really good looking streams or other heavy non-gaming workloads.

And yes undervolting/overclocking vega is the way to go with it. You don't absolutely have to do it or anything, you can keep it at stock and it'll be just fine.

ok thanks! Gonna try the OC at least :P

So I will go for that model of the vega 56

a ryzen 2600 (x or not?) 

MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard

and my Corsair RM550x (which will be enough I think)

Something wrong with that?

Thank you very much!

1 minute ago, rAYRYN said:

ok thanks! Gonna try the OC at least :P

So I will go for that model of the vega 56

a ryzen 2600 (x or not?) 

MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard

and my Corsair RM550x (which will be enough I think)

Something wrong with that?

Thank you very much!

That's all fine, nothing wrong with that. Remember though, if you want to overclock heavily, change that 550w to the 650w model for a bit more space. If not, stay with those specs.

2 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

That's all fine, nothing wrong with that. Remember though, if you want to overclock heavily, change that 550w to the 650w model for a bit more space. If not, stay with those specs.

the 550 is fairly new so I think no heavy OC (I'm quite new to that so I will start with minor tweaks I guess).

If the Specs are good enough for my goals 1080p gaming with 120 fps (for comp games) and 60 fps for singleplayer with higher graphics, than I'm quite happy :D

Just now, rAYRYN said:

the 550 is fairly new so I think no heavy OC (I'm quite new to that so I will start with minor tweaks I guess).

If the Specs are good enough for my goals 1080p gaming with 120 fps (for comp games) and 60 fps for singleplayer with higher graphics, than I'm quite happy :D

Without an overclock it'll be fine at doing what you want.