My speed is faster than my router can handle?

Spuddy0108

I'm paying for a 200mbit line which is, translated to megabytes, 25 megabytes per second

The router is an old 10/100mbit router so technically it can only push through 12.5megabytes per second. Right?

Then why am i downloading a steam game at 23.6megabytes per second now?

Not that I'm complaining. I'm just wondering.

12 minutes ago, Spuddy0108 said:

I'm paying for a 200mbit line which is, translated to megabytes, 25 megabytes per second

The router is an old 10/100mbit router so technically it can only push through 12.5megabytes per second. Right?

Do you have a separate modem or is it part of your router? And is your computer connected wired or wireless?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

24 minutes ago, Spuddy0108 said:

What is the model of your modem and model of router? Either Steam is doing the usual craptastic job of misreporting download speeds (and no, I'm not just talking about megabytes != megabits) or you actually have a gigabit modem / router.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

17 minutes ago, Spuddy0108 said:

The router is a old dlink http://www.dlink.ru/mn/products/1/336_b.html

Hardwired, no wifi

The device you linked is a hub (like a switch but worse because it copies all traffic to all ports) not a router. Yes that is a 10/100 device but you must have something else in addition to that. Although, if your computer plugs into this hub, then it isn’t possible to get more than 100Mb/s and Steam’s download speed indicator must be playing some odd tricks in order to compute its number. 

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: