General Confusion After Installing Windows on M.2

Ford.Luxx
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

You don't need to setup your system in a master and slave drive configuration anymore. Its all pretty straightforward now. 

So when I first got into PC gaming about 2 years ago I bought a pre-built system but later custom built my own rig. I used the HDD from the old PC because it had windows and all my stuff on it. I recently bought an M.2 drive (ADATA 128gb), did a fresh install of windows, signed into my Microsoft account, verified my account. At this point, I had done previous research about and was under the assumption I needed to get an empty drive to set up as a slave drive (I got an empty one off a friend) but it didn't work for some reason so I plugged in my old one and rebooted. Windows booted onto the m.2, AND my HDD was completely accessible.  Launched discord, steam CS: GO and Google from it and it worked as if I was running windows off it. When I went to disk management it was showing that windows was only taking about 18gb of my M.2. So I'm just overall confused if I've missed something or done something wrong here.

Ryzen 5 2600 (Stock cooler)
EVGA 1080 FTW ACX
G Skill RGB 16gb (3000 mhz)
MSI B450 Tomahawk
ADATA XPG 128gb
Toshiba 1tb HDD
EVGA 650W Gold
Fractal Design Meshify C

sounds fairly normal to me.

what do you think is wrong?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

You don't need to setup your system in a master and slave drive configuration anymore. Its all pretty straightforward now. 

Connect only the m.2 drive when installing windows, after that plug back in the old hdd, set the correct boot order if necessary, done.

Where did you get the information about master and slave?

I admit I'm rather new in PC building but I know it's some ancient stuff. 

>slave drive

what is this 2001?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

10 hours ago, Arika S said:

sounds fairly normal to me.

what do you think is wrong?

I just thought windows would take up more of my M.2 drive, if thats usually how much it takes then everything is all good, thanks!

Fresh install is about 16gb for 32bit and 20gb for 64bit versions so sounds about right to me. Also I think what he means by master and slave is his boot drive and data drive I know he's living on old tech references but give the guy a brake he's trying. Just so you know IDE used master and slave and sata drives is just one drive per cable so no more master and slave