New ISP requires new gear

RElapse
Go to solution Solved by RElapse,
51 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Are you sure your ISP is giving you a router? Because it sounds like they are giving you an ONT, and if thats the case you will need a router. Because your ISP should only be giving you 1 IP address and you will need NAT to share that with all your devices. The reason it sounds like they are not giving a router because most routers they would give should have some form a switch and AP built in. 

Now as far as POE gear, Id look at Ubiquit gear as thats probably going to be some of the most cost effective. HOWEVER, if you dont mind used gear, I hear a lot of people find good deals on eBay for used enterprise gear. AP wise Ubiquiti seems to be that one company every one throws down when people are looking for AP's. 

this helps thank you

Imma keep it short and sweet!

switching ISP

New ISP provides fiber router WITH NO WIFI or switching

I choose the 1 Gb package

need to buy a Gb switch and at least two AP

was looking at ubiquity and ruckus, leaning topwards ruckus but dont know what switch would be best for 1 gb +POE

gear must be able to handle 1 Gb

most of the house is wired, only mobile devices on WIFI

7/10 tech savvy  

one AP will be on the top floor  on the ceiling 

the bottom floor  will likely be  on top of a bookshelf

the switch must be POE and have at least 5 ports

must have decent management

vpn?

recommendations for how to handle this

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

feed the line into the wan port of your old isp router, that covers the switch and 1 AP.

old ISP takes there gear back

Just now, TrigrH said:

then time to buy a router with inbuilt switch and a good AP

that's literally what I'm asking about if I'm gonna get trolled when asking for help ill go elsewhere

7 minutes ago, RElapse said:

that's literally what I'm asking about if I'm gonna get trolled when asking for help ill go elsewhere

you said switch and two APs, im saying it will be cheaper to get a router and a single AP.

34 minutes ago, RElapse said:

Imma keep it short and sweet!

switching ISP

New ISP provides fiber router WITH NO WIFI or switching

I choose the 1 Gb package

need to buy a Gb switch and at least two AP

was looking at ubiquity and ruckus, leaning topwards ruckus but dont know what switch would be best for 1 gb +POE

gear must be able to handle 1 Gb

most of the house is wired, only mobile devices on WIFI

7/10 tech savvy  

one AP will be on the top floor  on the ceiling 

the bottom floor  will likely be  on top of a bookshelf

the switch must be POE and have at least 5 ports

must have decent management

vpn?

recommendations for how to handle this

Are you sure your ISP is giving you a router? Because it sounds like they are giving you an ONT, and if thats the case you will need a router. Because your ISP should only be giving you 1 IP address and you will need NAT to share that with all your devices. The reason it sounds like they are not giving a router because most routers they would give should have some form a switch and AP built in. 

Now as far as POE gear, Id look at Ubiquit gear as thats probably going to be some of the most cost effective. HOWEVER, if you dont mind used gear, I hear a lot of people find good deals on eBay for used enterprise gear. AP wise Ubiquiti seems to be that one company every one throws down when people are looking for AP's. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

51 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

this helps thank you