US Licence Plates.

scobie56

***Remove in not allowed***

Hi all.

Wondering if anyone would help Me out. I'm re decorating my house have converted my attic into man cave. Now for decoration I wouldn't mind having a few licence plates from a few states like Florida, California, Arizona and Texas. 

two questions for anyone over in the US.

Is it illegal to take/buy old licence plates from cars in junkyards??

Hopefully if not would anyone be willing to help me out and send me a few. I will cover shipping and stuff. 

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

It seems to be a little bit of a grey area since technically the DMV owns the plates and you essentially borrow it from them. Now there are times when license plates go change to a new style and the DMV rules them outdated and some require them to be returned to be destroyed and other times they're allowed to be kept and are just taken out of the system. Now personally I do not know the legality of buying/owning old plates, but with the abundance of them available all over the US and on online sellers, such as eBay, and the ability of most states allowing the use of old plates on "historic" cars, I'd assume that they would be legal for sale and use as decoration or such, pretty much as long as you're not using them in an illegal matter. Hopefully that helps clear up one of your questions, and to the latter, unfortunately I can't help you there. I'd defiantly check with local junk or scrap yards, and I bet if you ask them, they'd probably have of a stash of them somewhere since they tend to be a collectors item as well. Good luck!

WINDOWS HAS NOT DETECTED A KEYBOARD

PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.

Probably varies by State.  But, I do see commerical resturants around here use old plates for decoration.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

You can buy them on eBay, so I don't see why not.

I have a few US plates, all got through UK customs with no issue, so I'd imagine it shouldn't be a problem for you either despite the fact you might be in another country.

Where I live they're legal for decoration purposes, but it's illegal to display them on a vehicle. I would suspect it's the same in the US.