Pump and radiator placement

Is there a specific orientation for the pump placement in a open loop. Do the in and out parts of the radiator have the be above the pump, below the pump? Im trying to figure out placements in my case.

7 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

Is there a specific orientation for the pump placement in a open loop. Do the in and out parts of the radiator have the be above the pump, below the pump? Im trying to figure out placements in my case.

The main thing is to have the reservoir just before the pump and above it to ensure it never runs dry or it will risk damaging the bearing. Rads have no specific inlet or outlet but orienting the ports upwards can help with bleeding but also making draining the loop more difficult as you now have a loop of fluid in a U shape. 

16 minutes ago, W-L said:

The main thing is to have the reservoir just before the pump and above it to ensure it never runs dry or it will risk damaging the bearing. Rads have no specific inlet or outlet but orienting the ports upwards can help with bleeding but also making draining the loop more difficult as you now have a loop of fluid in a U shape. 

I was looking at a pump res combo, yea i know draining it would be more of a hasle but it would be soft tubing so i could just take the whole radiator out to do it easier right?

13 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

I was looking at a pump res combo, yea i know draining it would be more of a hasle but it would be soft tubing so i could just take the whole radiator out to do it easier right?

Yes that's possible depending on the tubing runs and how long they are, there are thicker rads that do have a secondary port on the other end for draining or bleeding air. A good method is to tilt and move the system around to help move the majority of the remaining fluid out towards the drain. 

16 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yes that's possible depending on the tubing runs and how long they are, there are thicker rads that do have a secondary port on the other end for draining or bleeding air. A good method is to tilt and move the system around to help move the majority of the remaining fluid out towards the drain. 

So the most important thing is to make sure the res is above the pump?

27 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

So the most important thing is to make sure the res is above the pump?

Yes if they are two independent units and not a combo pump/res it should be the first components before the pump and ideally above it. 

And the drain to be at the lowest point,Besides all the pump and res they gave the rest of the loop don't matter.Just try to keep the tubing runs as short and as straight as you can for looks.

6 minutes ago, andrewmp6 said:

And the drain to be at the lowest point,Besides all the pump and res they gave the rest of the loop don't matter.Just try to keep the tubing runs as short and as straight as you can for looks.

What do you mean the drain?