Ryzen 3 1200 vs i3 8100

On 3/20/2019 at 12:15 PM, Vejnemojnen said:

2-3gen ryzens

By this statement, did you mean 2nd/3rd Ryzen or 2-3 gen from 1st gen Ryzen? Because I think AMD will allow us to install 4th gen Ryzen (with BIOS update ofc)  which will be released in 2020 in 300 series board, they said 4 years, right? Sorry I got a little bit confused.

12 minutes ago, Dreadnought IX said:

By this statement, did you mean 2nd/3rd Ryzen or 2-3 gen from 1st gen Ryzen? Because I think AMD will allow us to install 4th gen Ryzen (with BIOS update ofc)  which will be released in 2020 in 300 series board, they said 4 years, right? Sorry I got a little bit confused.

yes. : ) you'd be able to use 1-2-3-4th gens with the same board& appropriate bios.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

2 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

yes. : ) you'd be able to use 1-2-3-4th gens with the same board& appropriate bios.

Alright, thanks :D

5 hours ago, Zeitec said:

I mean if you want to play only those 2 games, screw both of those builds, especially if you're broke college students paying for this PC with student loan debts. Get a Ryzen 3 2200g and don't even bother getting a graphics card. Seriously. Assuming he's using a 60hz monitor, a 2200g will play both of those games at 1080p high without dropping below 60fps 99.9% of the time. No I am not joking. Look at this video

.1% lows are above 60fps. Worried about massive teamfights dropping below 60fps? No problem. Get a cheap B350 board, crank it up to 3.9ghz rather than the stock settings shown in the video, turn the settings down to high instead of the very high shown in the video and now you're cooking with gas. For these games from 2009 and 2012 respectively, there's no point in getting a graphics card when very capable APUs like the 2200g exist. 

From what I know, with APUs, you're limited to x8 (PCIe? I'm not quite sure) instead of x16. Is that a big deal if I want to add a GPU later?

Also note that you could save a few bucks with a B350 series mobo with the 1200, since B450 is technically for the 2nd gen Ryzen stuff (all the same chipset either way.) 

Neither of those games is going to put an RX 580 or probably even a 560 to the test. (And frankly you could do better than the 560 for the money.) If you're low budget, go look at like a used HD 7870 or R9 280x or something. They will still pull great framerates on LOL and CS:GO at 1080p.

16 minutes ago, Dreadnought IX said:

From what I know, with APUs, you're limited to x8 (PCIe? I'm not quite sure) instead of x16. Is that a big deal if I want to add a GPU later?

I'm not positive I understand the question. An APU is a CPU with an integrated graphics card. It doesn't use any of your MOBO's PCIE lanes. So if your MOBO has a x16 lane, you've got an upgrade path to a GPU in the future. 

Get a Ryzen 3 2200g and don't even bother getting a graphics card. Seriously. Assuming he's using a 60hz monitor, a 2200g will play both of those games at 1080p high without dropping below 60fps 99.9% of the time.

He's not lying to you. These are very low requirement games. The 2200G is a distinct upgrade from the 1200, especially if you're already buying a B450 MOBO. The APU is plenty powerful for these titles, and it's less than $100 to get you gaming there.

Basically any of the eSports titles (like Overwatch, Dota2, TF2, etc.) will run fine on this APU without wasting your cash on a GPU. As I noted above, a $40-50 used GPU would also do pretty good things with this CPU for 1080p gaming on plenty of other new titles as well.

1 minute ago, trevb0t said:

Also note that you could save a few bucks with a B350 series mobo with the 1200, since B450 is technically for the 2nd gen Ryzen stuff (all the same chipset either way.) 

He could but its not recommended as the memory area got redesigned with the 400 Series, so they allow higher frequencys and have better Memory Compatibility.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

6 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

He could but its not recommended as the memory area got redesigned with the 400 Series, so they allow higher frequencys and have better Memory Compatibility.

With the right RAM, it supports up to 3200 RAM from models I've seen. (And correct me if I'm wrong.) I doubt on a low budget eSports build, he's going to be investing in that even. But you have a good point in terms of upgrade paths.

16 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Also note that you could save a few bucks with a B350 series mobo with the 1200, since B450 is technically for the 2nd gen Ryzen stuff (all the same chipset either way.

But the VRM on almost all B350 boards are bad tho, I want to set a good start for my friend, so maybe when he's into PC in the future, he can upgrade to 3rd/4th gen Ryzen. I'm in a deal hunting on a second hand X370/B450 right now ;)

If I want to go "all new", I'll probably get Gigabyte B450M DS3H, because it has the same VRM as more expensive Gigabyte B450 line-up (except for the B450I Aorus Pro Wifi), for only $60 it's a deal ?

3 minutes ago, Dreadnought IX said:

But the VRM on almost all B350 boards are bad tho, I want to set a good start for my friend, so maybe when he's into PC in the future, he can upgrade to 3rd/4th gen Ryzen. I'm in a deal hunting on a second hand X370/B450 right now ;)

If I want to go "all new", I'll probably get Gigabyte B450M DS3H, because it has the same VRM as more expensive Gigabyte B450 line-up (except for the B450I Aorus Pro Wifi), for only $60 it's a deal ?

In the research I was doing on the B450 series, it basically indicated that on the low end, those Gigbyte and Asus boards have a pretty high failure rate. I don't have any particular brand preferences myself, but the lower tier AsRock and MSI board are generally higher rated.

And again an eSports machine is not going to need to overclock... All I'm saying is look for the deals where they exist.

4 hours ago, Dreadnought IX said:

What? Not that I'm aware of. I mean maybe, but the 2200g is basically a Ryzen 3 1300x with integrated graphics. Technically most Intel CPUs are also APUs as they have integrated graphics too. I don't see a reason it would randomly have fewer PCIE lanes...

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

8 hours ago, trevb0t said:

And again an eSports machine is not going to need to overclock... All I'm saying is look for the deals where they exist.

It's the other way around actually, DX9-11 games really love higher clock speed.

I got a HUGE improvement in League of Legends and CS:GO after I overclock my R5 1600 to 4GHz while I got almost no performance improvement when I upgrade my RX 580 to Vega 56.

14 hours ago, Dreadnought IX said:

It's the other way around actually, DX9-11 games really love higher clock speed.

I got a HUGE improvement in League of Legends and CS:GO after I overclock my R5 1600 to 4GHz while I got almost no performance improvement when I upgrade my RX 580 to Vega 56.

That's great and all, but my R5 2600 with RX 580 pull almost 130-200 fps just stock (1080p, highest built in preset)(I'm sure here and there it drops down lower, but any time I'm looking it's around there.) I don't play CS:GO, but the performance and system requirements are pretty similar. At that point what is overclocking going to do? I don't need more than that!

Used stuff is too unreliable, but its good for the money. get a 5 1500X used (and also a cooler if not included) should have not cost that much right now and RX 470/560 probably within budget.

4 hours ago, Oalei said:

Used stuff is too unreliable, but its good for the money. get a 5 1500X used (and also a cooler if not included) should have not cost that much right now and RX 470/560 probably within budget.

CPU -s rarely have issues, so generally safe to buy used. Not true for gpu, mobo or psu. 

I would not worry about used CPU. ?

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

4 hours ago, Oalei said:

Used stuff is reliable.

The 1500X is a terrible value... the 1400 is nearly the same speed and the 1600 is usually cheaper...

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

CPU -s rarely have issues, so generally safe to buy used. Not true for gpu, mobo or psu. 

I would not worry about used CPU. ?

gpu is not that bad tbh

1 minute ago, LienusLateTips said:

Used stuff is reliable.

The 1500X is a terrible value... the 1400 is nearly the same speed and the 1600 is usually cheaper...

i meant the price is unreliable. if you can get 1500X why not but if the 1400 is cheaper why not? at my place 1600 is not cheaper

22 hours ago, Oalei said:

gpu is not that bad tbh

Yesss, just change the thermal paste and you're good to go. I used MX-4 for all my GPUs ?