Dual channel vs single Channel

So a month ago i bought a ASUS-ROG-GL503GE-ES73 it came with a single 16gb sodimm stick. Other day i bought a 2x 8gb sticks and before i changed it ran valley benchmark and once i changed the memory was shocked to see single channel out performed dual channel why?

I replaced the 16gb stick with 2 of these  Corsair Vengeance 8GB

Should i return the new ram?

Thanks

Winni

20190316_115943.jpg

20190316_122915.jpg

No, due to the small change in fps and score i would say that this was a small fluke. The dual channel is better than single channel in other tasks.

That's margin of error stuff. You can't do one benchmark run and draw your conclusions. Also, it would've been better to just get another 16GB stick.

Test with some more benchmarks, run the tests at least 3-5 times and compare.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

The M471A2K43CB1-CTD from what i googled i only see ebay listing.

What are some other tests thats why im here to find out too see if its worth keeping it in dual channel mode :)

Thanks

WInni

6 minutes ago, winnipegm said:

What are some other tests thats why im here to find out too see if its worth keeping it in dual channel mode :)

Thanks

WInni

some game benchmarks like Assassins Creed Origins/Odyssey? Even if dual channel helps in those games, you need a better GPU for the difference to be noticeable anyway

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

3 minutes ago, winnipegm said:

Thanks

WInni

AIDA 64 memory benchmark.

>any memory benchmark

>any CPU benchmark

Valley is a terrible benchmark. You'll see better score gains from CPU overclocking/upgrading than any GPU upgrade.

>using a GPU benchmark to evaluate a RAM upgrade.

Please stop.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

hardly "outperformed"

it's just test to test variation, do it again and you'll see the score change, and besides Valley Benchmark is not limited by RAM speed in any way.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

and due to GPU Boost 3.0, your graphics card can change clock depending on current temperature, if it was colder before you ran the test then it will boost more, but again this is 0.2% difference........... that's nothing.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

53 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

AIDA 64 memory benchmark.

>any memory benchmark

>any CPU benchmark

Valley is a terrible benchmark. You'll see better score gains from CPU overclocking/upgrading than any GPU upgrade.

>using a GPU benchmark to evaluate a RAM upgrade.

Please stop.

Thanks ill try that. 

Thanks for all the help i tried 3 benchmarks and your right it does improve with dual channel.

I wont trust google next time i thought dual channel memory helps with GPU benchmark tests.

Thanks

Winni

compare.PNG

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

some game benchmarks like Assassins Creed Origins/Odyssey? Even if dual channel helps in those games, you need a better GPU for the difference to be noticeable anyway

I do have a better gpu in my desktop i was just testing my laptop since it was shipped with a single stick of ram..