In need for a game my dad would play

Retorak

Good (whatever time of day you currently have)!

Dear community,
it has happened. My dad, who started out decades ago with building his own pcs and playing games like Quake, Unreal and Doom, has stopped playing.
His age (59) is not the problem in this case. He is a big fan of all Unreal Tournament games and always played them as if there is no tomorrow.
When he heard there will be an Unreal Tournament 4 game, he even bought a new machine with a GTX 1070 and he was filled with excitement while playing the open alpha build of the game.
But then he read UT4 will be discontinued due to Fortnite development. That information broke his heart. Since then he hasn't touched his pc.
He played Doom as his last game, mostly because I gifted it to him.

He has this 1700$ machine, just catching dust and my mom told me he's aging a lot faster since he's not training his hand-eye coordination and reaction times anymore.
He used to be rank 8 on the Unreal Tournament 3 world ranks. Probably you have met him in an exciting match on Suspense. (McMar is his username)

My mom asked me if I can suggest a game she can buy him so he can play on his machine again. He used to pick a weekend or two in the month to play 2 days straight while enjoying a cold whiskey with coke.

The problem is, he can't get along with games that need you to upgrade gear, change weapon configurations (like in BF), learn different heroes (new arena shooters) and communicate a lot in english (he can't speak english well).
He tried Quake champions but didn't like it. He really loves arena fps in Ulreal Tournament style.

Does anybody have a clue what game he could play that fits his machine (i7-8gen, Gtx 1070), is mostly multiplayer, is not that old and does not require to much learning (like different heroes and weapon sets, special abilities and communication).
It doesn't need to be an arena fps.
I just want my dad to have fun again.
I am very gratefull for every recommendation, since I don't play fps games myself, I'm more on the strategic and simulation side.

Have a nice day!

tl:dr - I need a game recommendation for my dad. He loved arena fps but the game shouldn't be complicated for an old man.

WRATH: Aeon of Ruin is built on Quake 1's engine, but it's not out yet. Still something he could play in the near future.

A girl who loves to love.

cs go would sound like a great game for him or he could play contract wars which is browser based but completely free and amazing 

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

or rainbow six seige

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

Thank you for the fast answers!

Wrath: Aeon of ruin looks great, I will look into it. Would be great if it has multiplayer/coop.

CS:Go and Rainbow Six siege could be too complicated for him, I will have a look at them.

1 minute ago, Retorak said:

Thank you for the fast answers!

Wrath: Aeon of ruin looks great, I will look into it. Would be great if it has multiplayer/coop.

CS:Go and Rainbow Six siege could be too complicated for him, I will have a look at them.

for your dads sake look at contract wars it is an amazing game and not to complex

I have looked into Ranbow Six Siege, played CS:GO on the pc of my roommate and looked into contract wars.

Rainbow Six Siege will be too hard for my dad to get into.
CS:GO could be a great choice for my dad, I don't know what he thinks of the more realistic damage weapons deal and how fast you die (compared to UT). Since it is F2P he can test it himself and see if he likes it.
And I am currently downloading contract wars to look into it. (Since it's f2p, why not give it a try instead of watching videos?)

Is anyone playing DOOM (2016) Multiplayer and knows if it's still played by a good amount of people? Or does someone know how DOOM Eternal will be in terms of multiplayer? I just found information about Darksouls like invasion in its campaign.

So far, thank you for the recommendations.

Doom Eternal is out soon isn't it?

Otherwise, the oldschool 'genre' of FPS games seem to be making a come back, from Wolfenstein and Doom, right up to retro-style games from indie developers.

Realistically though, it's entirely on your dad to find it interesting.  If he doesn't, it may be time to move on and find a different hobby and even selling, should be able to get at least 1k for the machine if not more.

The gaming industry has changed a huge amount in the time I've been realistically playing.  Sure, I played when I was around 3, but I've probably been a serious gamer for the last 25 years or so.  In that time I've seen games priced extortionately, but complete packages in console games, to PC games shipped as complete packages with heft chunks added later as expansions at a much lower rate.

Then they moved digitally and DLC became the new expansions and slowly but surely, the base game has been pulled apart to make more 'room' for DLC to be sold off extra.  And that's not even including the things like loot boxes.

With this in mind, it's easy to see how someone who's gamed for likely the amount of time your dad has, can become somewhat disheartened or disillusioned with what the industry has become.  It's no longer the whole 'nerds in their basement making a thing out of love'.  In most cases it's become a soulless machine to pump out the same game with a new number at the end.

Anyway that went off the rail, so in answer to your question, some game suggestions below if your dad is willing to try non-FPS I've included others too:

--------------------------------------

FPS:

Doom Eternal when it's out

Wolfenstien/New Order/II

Prey

Bioshock (not really taxing on his PC, but a great series of games all the same)

Metro (the new game has just been released too)

Deus Ex - Human Revolution and Mankind Divided

Other wise, maybe something like an RPG with an engrossing story to get involved in?  In which case, obviously, I have to say this: The Witcher 3.  Also:

GTA 5

Skyrim

Fallout 3, NV & 4

M/Board: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X || Cooler: Wraith MAX || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB || GPU: ASIS Strix Radeon Vega 56 || Storage: WD Black 500GB NVMe & 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD || Case: Sahara P35 RGB mid-tower || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

Art Tablets: UGEE 15.6" Graphics Monitor & XP-Pen 15.6" Display Tablet

37 minutes ago, Gareque said:

FPS:

Doom Eternal when it's out

Wolfenstien/New Order/II

Prey

Bioshock (not really taxing on his PC, but a great series of games all the same)

Metro (the new game has just been released too)

Deus Ex - Human Revolution and Mankind Divided

Other wise, maybe something like an RPG with an engrossing story to get involved in?  In which case, obviously, I have to say this: The Witcher 3.  Also:

GTA 5

Skyrim

Fallout 3, NV & 4

Thank you. I think Wolfenstein 2 new colossus could be a game he would play (even if just once because it has no multiplayer) and prey sounds great, too.
I can remember he played the old wolfenstein games (return to castle wolfenstein), I don't know if it's the same brand, though. It's 19,99 and in stock in a shop arround the corner, I think this would be a great game to get him back into gaming. Doom Eternal could be great, I read some articles about the game. He liked the last Doom, too.
Do you know if Prey is like the first game with the same title or is it different, he played the old one as far as I know and somewhat liked it.

I really appreciate the time you spend for the recommendation. Even with the market having changed over the years, somewhere has to be a place for older gamers like my dad.

In terms of Wolfenstein, it's the same brand, just re-done for the modern era much like Doom was.

As for Prey, if you mean the original Xbox 360 release game, I believe it's completely different, but don't hold me to that lol.

Just FYI, not sure if this is allowed and apologies mods if it isn't: https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/wolfenstein-ii-2-the-new-colossus-deluxe-edition-pc-steam-cd-key

The deluxe edition worldwide code for £17.49/whatever your currency might be.  Might be better value if the local shop is purely the base game?

M/Board: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X || Cooler: Wraith MAX || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB || GPU: ASIS Strix Radeon Vega 56 || Storage: WD Black 500GB NVMe & 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD || Case: Sahara P35 RGB mid-tower || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

2 hours ago, Retorak said:

I have looked into Ranbow Six Siege, played CS:GO on the pc of my roommate and looked into contract wars.

Rainbow Six Siege will be too hard for my dad to get into.
CS:GO could be a great choice for my dad, I don't know what he thinks of the more realistic damage weapons deal and how fast you die (compared to UT). Since it is F2P he can test it himself and see if he likes it.
And I am currently downloading contract wars to look into it. (Since it's f2p, why not give it a try instead of watching videos?)

Is anyone playing DOOM (2016) Multiplayer and knows if it's still played by a good amount of people? Or does someone know how DOOM Eternal will be in terms of multiplayer? I just found information about Darksouls like invasion in its campaign.

So far, thank you for the recommendations.

please tell me if he likes it

Thanks again. I finally met with my dad, let him play a bit and got him back to gaming!

Currently he is playing Wolfenstein 2 with Prey and CS:GO waiting for him to finish his singleplayer onslaught.
Sadly he wasn't a fan of contract wars but he liked CS:GO. And he wants to get his hands onto DOOM Eternal as soon as it comes out.

While we were playing a bit and chatting, he mentioned how much he hates the microtransactions in quake champions or other games he tried he didn't even mentioned to me before hand.

Just as Gareque was implying, he didn't feel like the changes of the gaming market would fit his expectations on how games should look like or what kind of service they should provide. I think it's hard to let go of something, even a standard, if you were so used to it.

I hope his reflexes and hand-eye coordination will get better soon and we can have some fun together in Doom Eternals multiplayer.

6 hours ago, Retorak said:

Thanks again. I finally met with my dad, let him play a bit and got him back to gaming!

Currently he is playing Wolfenstein 2 with Prey and CS:GO waiting for him to finish his singleplayer onslaught.
Sadly he wasn't a fan of contract wars but he liked CS:GO. And he wants to get his hands onto DOOM Eternal as soon as it comes out.

While we were playing a bit and chatting, he mentioned how much he hates the microtransactions in quake champions or other games he tried he didn't even mentioned to me before hand.

Just as Gareque was implying, he didn't feel like the changes of the gaming market would fit his expectations on how games should look like or what kind of service they should provide. I think it's hard to let go of something, even a standard, if you were so used to it.

I hope his reflexes and hand-eye coordination will get better soon and we can have some fun together in Doom Eternals multiplayer.

thank you for letting me know i was happy to help

Call of duty is a twitch shooter. Idk if he'll like it.

IMO Black ops 4 is very overly complex but the zombies is decent.

Didn't they come out with the new Quake champions? idk if people still play Unreal 4 game.

Titanfall 2 is pretty fast paced too. Excellent non-stop action campaign & still active multiplayer. Now Apex Legends is similar to it.

Can't think of any non-rts games. RTS stress your mental capacity so that might help.

23 hours ago, Retorak said:

Glad to hear it though :).

It might be worth him keeping an eye on some of the Indie market, as they focus less on microtransactions.  Personally, I don't agree with them, but they don't actually bother me either.

Even with games like Deus Ex which let players buy Praxis kits for rl cash.  At the end of the day, I figure who am I to tell others how to spend their cash, and that the devs give the option for players who 'want' to is fine by me.  The issue is when you get games that hamper the experience to push you to buying the kits or loot boxes etc **Cough**Battlefront**Cough**.

Or pay to win.  That should never be a thing, though is somewhat acceptable for mobiles, if someone is so inclined...

xplane 11  or deadsitck backwoods my father play at the resthome