Reinstalling Windows 10 - OEM vs Retail

Gen_Noot

Hi,

(For background - I've developed this weird issue with my laptop where system can start hogging resources. It peak at 30% CPU usage and stay well above 10% for several hours at a time regardless of what I'm doing and causes my poor i7 6700hq to be turbo-ing almost an entire Ghz for this entire duration. I've narrowed this down to either a corrupted system file or hardware damage of some sort. Reinstalling windows is thus an effort to see if its simply the system that's corrupted.)

After a discussion with the MSI tech support, they state that I will have to buy a whole new copy of specifically OEM Windows. They also stated that it must be OEM as opposed to Retail as the key wont work.

However, if I have a key already, I don't really see why I have to buy windows, could I not simply download a windows installer, boot it from a USB and enter my current key? I asked this but they seemed pretty vague, perhaps understandably as they were wanting me to send my laptop to a service center and pay €99 for the privilege. A hefty bill to pay when it may not even resolve the issue.

What's your guys advice on the matter? Does it actually matter if it is OEM or Retail? Will the key still work? Am I going about this all backwards?

if the machine came with an OEM image, you are allowed by Microsoft's terms of service to reinstall that image, so long as the image isn't modified in any way. Otherwise you have to purchase Retail and/or volume licensing depending on what you are trying to do.

In your case it sounds like you are just trying to reinstall the original MSI OEM image, so you need to get that from them and install it. If they won't give it to you/don't have it... then that explains why they are telling you that you need to buy a key. Because it would be against MS's TOS for them to give you a different image.

In my experience you can activate a new, clean copy of windows with the original OEM key, I just have to inform you that this is against MS terms of service. So make of that what you will. The likelihood of them going after an individual user for doing this? slim to none. But it is against their terms. The OEM key is intended for the original machine image and nothing else.

if the computer has a UEFI, the installer should actually just pull the key from the machine I believe the OEM key is usually embedded in.

you can get a fresh copy of windows directly from MS here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

You can try. I've not tried it with 10. Works fine with 7, as long as a valid key. The install media never mattered to me (not including upgrade only keys of cause).

PS, 10 should have the option for a full re-install. Not to mention most updates are not full OS refreshes.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-windows-10-with-oem-product-key/6cd0c3fe-f7b2-42e7-ab8f-68bf3e1bfed8

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

if the machine came with an OEM image, you are allowed by Microsoft's terms of service to reinstall that image, so long as the image isn't modified in any way. Otherwise you have to purchase Retail and/or volume licensing depending on what you are trying to do.

In your case it sounds like you are just trying to reinstall the original MSI OEM image, so you need to get that from them and install it. If they won't give it to you/don't have it... then that explains why they are telling you that you need to buy a key. Because it would be against MS's TOS for them to give you a different image.

In my experience you can activate a new, clean copy of windows with the original OEM key, I just have to inform you that this is against MS terms of service. So make of that what you will. The likelihood of them going after an individual user for doing this? slim to none. But it is against their terms. The OEM key is intended for the original machine image and nothing else.

if the computer has a UEFI, the installer should actually just pull the key from the machine I believe the OEM key is usually embedded in.

you can get a fresh copy of windows directly from MS here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It's not a clean new copy. Windows offer the ISO online. The laptop also (presumably) has a reset option. Both are valid options.

4 hours ago, TechyBen said:

You can try. I've not tried it with 10. Works fine with 7, as long as a valid key. The install media never mattered to me (not including upgrade only keys of cause).

PS, 10 should have the option for a full re-install. Not to mention most updates are not full OS refreshes.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-windows-10-with-oem-product-key/6cd0c3fe-f7b2-42e7-ab8f-68bf3e1bfed8

Hi, thanks for the link, however MSI already got me to attempt an F3 MSI factory reset but it failed and bricked the laptop, so I had to use the backup I created using their burn recovery tool the day before. However this backup seems to be of how it was straight out of the factory anyway. Software I had installed on day one of ownership was gone and software I had uninstalled years ago, i.e Norton, were back. They didn't seem to be able to answer (or understand) this. After this whole rigmarole the issue remained sadly so I'm thinking that maybe a manual windows 10 reinstall might fair better. I'm also a moron however so might be entirely wrong?

MSI support is completely wrong there. You don't need to buy anything if you are installing same version of Windows to same machine. Key is valid for that machine still, and OEM vs retail is just about keys licensing terms. If you were to use OEM key in another machine, you would be violating terms of OEM. But as this isn't a thing, here are your options:

1. Use built-in reset function, There should be multiple choices, like repari, restore and full factory reset.
  2. If MSI offers custom image, then that works too. Difference with custom image/factory reset and "clean" install, is that former include drivers for that system.
  3. "Clean" install. Using normal ISO from Microsoft or mirrors. This is same thing as those before but doesn't include MSI's drivers or software. Meaning that you need to do some extra legwork to download and install them yourself.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Also, AFAIK the OEM restriction applies to the PC store/seller/manufacture. A user reinstalling the OEM image/windows is ok, a reseller doing it is not (because they are a company reinstalling for either a service and charge, or a sale and cost, MS want that, but a user doing it for free has nothing MS can "tax/royalty").

On 3/13/2019 at 11:36 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

1. "Clean" install. Using normal ISO from Microsoft or mirrors. This is same thing as those before but doesn't include MSI's drivers or software. Meaning that you need to do some extra legwork to download and install them yourself.

Doesn't Windows update automatically find and install most drivers anyway leaving just a few more up-to-date drivers and software all I have to do?

Turn off fast boot first. Then boot and check if your CPU utilizes 100% (when needed). I had that problem once.

Or at least made hard reset (hold power for 5 seconds), then boot.

8 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Turn off fast boot first

Great minds think alike.

I'm not sure what you mean by

8 hours ago, homeap5 said:

check if your CPU utilizes 100% (when needed)

But seeing as the system is still occasionally (it's always been an intermittent issue for me) using 10-25% and causing the CPU to be in a constant boosted state, even when all that's open is a word doc, I'm going to consider the issue as still present. Weirdly seems to only effect the second core for the most part though.

Ah, sorry, your problem is that your CPU is in constant boost? That must be caused by some laptop software or system. I'm pretty sure that reinstall don't solve your problem. Use Autoruns to check what starts with your system and try to disable some Widows functions. Also check your AV if you're using 3rd party av soft. Try to solve your problem proper way.

In my opinion, I'd just nuke it from orbit and install a freshly downloaded image. You might be able to link your license with your Microsoft account so that all you need to do after installing is sign in. If I remember, I have done just that myself.

23 hours ago, homeap5 said:

check what starts with your system and try to disable some Widows functions

I used process explorer a while back and saw that it's being caused by ACPI.sys. Can't kill that sadly. I'm just operating under the assumption at the moment that it's corrupt. As far as I'm aware the only other cause would be damage to the CPU, which considering it's soldered into the board (the same board the GPU is soldered into) would be a $1000+ repair, i.e. new computer territory, 

5 hours ago, soulreaper11207 said:

link your license with your Microsoft account 

Oh shoot I completely forgot that was a thing. So regardless of OEM keys I should be fine because I initially registered my windows account on an old Windows 7 computer I upgraded to Windows 10 years ago.

On 3/15/2019 at 4:24 PM, Gen_Noot said:

Oh shoot I completely forgot that was a thing. So regardless of OEM keys I should be fine because I initially registered my windows account on an old Windows 7 computer I upgraded to Windows 10 years ago.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/manage-registered-computers-and-devices-in-windows-10/

Thi should show if that device is registered. I'm not sure where only you can check.