Odd Vibration on new build - SP120.

BreakFix
Go to solution Solved by BreakFix,

Hi Folks.

FYI.  I have a couple of other vertically mounted SP120 in the front of the case for intake.  Having swapped the fans around I've done away with the noise, so it was only one fan and only when the case was mounted face down.  Not great but at about £11 each, i'll forgive Corsair.  I'll pursue a warranty replacement if I have any other niggles... Hope I don't need the box to register :-) 

Hi Folks.

I have recently built a new system for myself after years of using laptops, things have moved on a bit.  

I have a H100i mounted to the top of a Corsair 350D, stock fans replaces with Corsair SP120 Quite Edition fans (non-PWM), push configuration.  I am using the CPU cooler itself power and control the fans.  i'm not confident enough with the tools to try and control everything myself via the Mobo.  This all seems reasonably common setup and not quite as expensive as going for Noctua.

So all is going well... But I wonder why my HDD is being called so frequently... Turns out the SP120 fan is reverberating a little in its chassis in some way causing constant quite but audible and distracting noise like HDD I/O.

If I replace the stock fans the noise disappears, but they are louder, if I place my finger on the fan dead-zone to slow it also disappears.

Can anyone give me any advice?  Does anyone have any experience of fans being genuinely faulty? Or maybe there are known issues running face down?

Picture included.

post-52009-0-52250200-1390159881_thumb.j

Have you tried installing your fans with rubber spacers, that could reduce the noise, but in the end I would say that you're going to have tp change to fans that don't vibrate as much, or not at all to really eliminate it 100%

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

I've heard that sp120 quiet editions have a buzzing weird noise to them, it's the motors I believe.

If you ever decide to switch them out, I highly recommend sycthe gentle typhoons.  I replaced my noctua nf-f12's with them, and I've been nothing but amazed at the extra quietness.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Hi Folks.

FYI.  I have a couple of other vertically mounted SP120 in the front of the case for intake.  Having swapped the fans around I've done away with the noise, so it was only one fan and only when the case was mounted face down.  Not great but at about £11 each, i'll forgive Corsair.  I'll pursue a warranty replacement if I have any other niggles... Hope I don't need the box to register :-) 

• 1 year later...

Break fix,

Today i bought a twin pack Sp120 Performance edition PWM for my h100i.

BUT.....

This fans didn;t have a coil, that make the fan not to be noisy in horizontal position,

The solve was to use Stock fans...

The maximum rpm for sp120 that i tought that they are loud was 1200 @ 52 Degrees. Arctic silver Ceramique 2...

Sp120 were build for verticali mounted Cooling like air cooling, or h80i for example.

They were not supposed to work horizontaly

Hope this Answer your question..

All AF series have that coil so they don;t vibrate in any position.

The stock fans of h100i  have that coil