Single 2080 ti vs 2x 2080s

Anas Dweik

Hi guys. 

For 4k gaming would you go for 2080 ti or nvlink 2080. And why. 

*away from price point 

sli sucks, its not supported very often, you often get bluescreens/crashes in game, you dont get anywhere near 100% scaling (except in select games with ~80%), its very expensive

First of all, RTX cards uses SLI, they only standardize the connector, NVLink is Quadro only.

Secondly, a single 2080 Ti not only will better across the board but SLI'ing it down the road will provide noticeable more performance and bragging rights [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I can tell you this from recent first hand experience.  Go with the 2080 ti.  I just sold both my 2080's (fortunately for right what I paid for them) and put that toward a strix 2080 ti.  It is the way to go.  I have to put in context that they had some good deals online for the 2080s recently (newegg ebay for 630) and I bought one used off a buddy on the cheap, so value-wise, it wasn't terrible, esp considering the high end 2080 tis are in the 1300-1400 range still.  A few pro/cons about the 2080 SLI:

Pro: Great FPS in games that scale, beating the 2080 ti in FPS in games it scales mildly in, and blowing it away when it DOES scale well (I was getting a true >160 fps in tomb raider (shadow), witcher 3 in 1440p whereas the 2080 ti does well but not that well).  In anthem where it scales kinda meh, I was basically matching the framerate of a 2080 ti, sometimes beating it by just a smidge...this is really the main pro and thats about it

Con: ARTIFACTS!!; Anthem had 0 artifacts and actually was butter smooth despite the issues going on there, that was a suprise.  Both TR and witcher 3 would look butter smooth at times and just be amazing, and then later on I found some times it would flicker, some times it would have weird light shining on part of the screen.  I also play gears 4, and there would be all kinds of random glitches, flickering, lighting weirdness but with a super high FPS.

Con: HEAT!!; in a fractal define R6 case with decent airflow and some room, it got hot AF still.  The second card would heat up a good bit depending on how much it scaled and how much it was utilized, but man did the primary top card heat up.  I mean it is sitting between the CPU and a high power GPU directly under it.  Shit gets warm.  Top card tended to quickly get to 75 degrees once starting gaming, and then quickly after that sit at the 80-85 degree zone, fan going ham

Con: NOISE!!; going along with that heat of course was a LOT of noise.  When I had a single gigabyte 2080 it honestly was super quiet, barely heard it.  But when you put 2 beefy cards doing work in there, they get hot and those fans work.  Even after tuning the fan curve ideally to keep it reasonable without being 100% fan noise, it was still noticable and honestly that was the breaking point.  It was constantly loud when gaming, and that takes away from the experience for me

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

So, in getting the strix 2080 ti, I did lose some FPS in the games where it scales, but the difference in how cool my case/components stay, the noise level (which between the Noctua D15 and the strix, that rig is whisper quiet, barely makes a sound under load), and not having any artifacts in games is huge.  Sometimes the artifacts were so minor it barely took away from the experience, but sometimes it was so glaring it completely ruins the scene with the SLI.  

So now I am hovering in the 100-140 range often in games in 1440p, but honestly, it still looks damn good, and the lack of artifacts and noise is such a delight.  I did love the 160+ fps in games (my monitor goes up to 165 hz) while it actually stayed smooth, but the lighting and artifacts that came up were just not worth it.  

I kept the NV link bridge for the future in case it is ever worth it again to SLI, but after this experience, I will probably only single card from here on out.

And seriously, I would be surprised if this set up gets over 40 db

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

2 hours ago, Anas Dweik said:

Hi guys. 

For 4k gaming would you go for 2080 ti or nvlink 2080. And why. 

*away from price point 

SLI just does not work with most games.

For example Ubisoft does mostly not work.

There are hardly any that do these days.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"