Home renovation

SzaboAttila

What do you guys think, is it worth it to buy a cheaper apartment in slightly bad condition, then renovating it (I mean, repainting and new furnitures) or spend 10k more euros on the apartment which is in good conditions?

Gaming pc: CPU(AMD Ryzen 5 1600), MOBO(MSI B450M Bazooka), RAM(DDR4 2x8GB 2666MHz Kingston Fury Black), STORAGE(120GB WD Green SSD , 1TB WD Blue HDD), GPU(incoming), PSU(incoming), CASE(Nzxt h400i)

4 minutes ago, SzaboAttila said:

is it worth it to buy a cheaper apartment in slightly bad condition, then renovating it (I mean, repainting and new furnitures)

Way too wide a question, not possible to answer well. I mean, it depends on what's wrong with the place, how good you are at fixing all the things that need fixing, how much you value your time spent at it, if you can obtain all the required tools and materials cheaply enough for it to make any sense in the first place, if you have anyone in your friends who can guide or help you, and so on.

Plenty of people do just that, but they're usually folks who have a lot of experience at renovations and building construction and such. On the other hand, people who don't understand everything it takes to renovate a place can end up paying huge amounts of time due to underestimating everything that's needed, or because they fuck something up so bad a professional has to be hired to fix it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Way too wide a question, not possible to answer well. I mean, it depends on what's wrong with the place, how good you are at fixing all the things that need fixing, how much you value your time spent at it, if you can obtain all the required tools and materials cheaply enough for it to make any sense in the first place, if you have anyone in your friends who can guide or help you, and so on.

Plenty of people do just that, but they're usually folks who have a lot of experience at renovations and building construction and such. On the other hand, people who don't understand everything it takes to renovate a place can end up paying huge amounts of time due to underestimating everything that's needed, or because they fuck something up so bad a professional has to be hired to fix it.

I dont have much experience with this kind of things. But I have plenty of time, I am a student, tought if I buy an apartment in the summer I will have time for renovation.

Gaming pc: CPU(AMD Ryzen 5 1600), MOBO(MSI B450M Bazooka), RAM(DDR4 2x8GB 2666MHz Kingston Fury Black), STORAGE(120GB WD Green SSD , 1TB WD Blue HDD), GPU(incoming), PSU(incoming), CASE(Nzxt h400i)

6 minutes ago, SzaboAttila said:

I dont have much experience with this kind of things.

Doesn't sound like a good idea, then.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Doesn't sound like a good idea, then.

Yeah, that is just asking for trouble. Unless you have a family member or friend who is really willing to help and get their hands dirty, I would be very cautious about getting into a reno project.

If you have lots of time it's not a bad idea.  Learning how to paint and do trim and windows and stuff are good skills to have

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

24 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Yeah, that is just asking for trouble. Unless you have a family member or friend who is really willing to help and get their hands dirty, I would be very cautious about getting into a reno project.

I have a brother who is 1year older, he would help for sure and maybe dad sometimes. I think we could renovate the house, but it would take a while for sure.

22 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

If you have lots of time it's not a bad idea.  Learning how to paint and do trim and windows and stuff are good skills to have

Last summer we helped my uncle repaint his house, it went well. 

9 minutes ago, SzaboAttila said:

Last summer we helped my uncle repaint his house, it went well. 

Go balls deep and do it! You'll learn some valuable skills. It'd be a good experience to look back on I'm sure. 

If it's your primary residence I would not do it.  You'll get burnt out quickly with never ending projects just to make it feel like home.  Buy the nicest you can within your budget, because even then there will ALWAYS be something that needs work done.

Once you build up your skills then you can look at more involved projects.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15