ethernet cable

Ryder1329

i am thinking of running a ethernet cable through my wall form my pc from the second floor down to the first floor where the router is im not sure what length i should get: 25ft, 14ft, 10ft, 

13 minutes ago, Ryder1329 said:

i am thinking of running a ethernet cable through my wall form my pc from the second floor down to the first floor where the router is im not sure what length i should get: 25ft, 14ft, 10ft, 

Um... get the length you need to run the cable through the wall? In my experience, I've never had issues with cables up to 100ft in length. (as long as they're not cheaply made.)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

ethernet cable cat6/cat5e/5 limits to 100meters, (328 feet). That depends also on the cable materials, if it passes together with electricity cables (prohibited!!!!!!) etc.

A lot of limitations. If you mean that you will connect 2 or 3 smaller ones to make the distance reach then i wouldnt recomend it! better use 1 straight cable. You dont refer the distance that you need to cover so as an advice, remember to calculate propable corners and bending....and if you are surprised how whole buildings with ethernet work...is because the signal is repowered through switches/routers and other network stuff.

Buy 100ft and cut it to length and do runs to other devices in the house. Console, other PCs, smart tv, etc.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 hours ago, chriskarsd said:

cat6/cat5e/5

is cat6 the best

Just now, Ryder1329 said:

is cat6 the best

cat6/cat5 is metering mainly the speed that it can accept. if you need 1gbit ethernet then use cat6. The standard for sometime now is 5e that can handle the gbit need. but if you dont want to upgrade in the future or you have equipement that works in gbit then use the cat6. but pay attention to be well shielded. You can use Cat5e/or Cat6 its mainly price the problem between them.

1 minute ago, chriskarsd said:

cat6/cat5 is metering mainly the speed that it can accept. if you need 1gbit ethernet then use cat6. The standard for sometime now is 5e that can handle the gbit need. but if you dont want to upgrade in the future or you have equipement that works in gbit then use the cat6. but pay attention to be well shielded. You can use Cat5e/or Cat6 its mainly price the problem between them.

is this a good one? https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-RJ45-Cat-6-Ethernet-Patch-Cable-25-Feet-7-6-Meters/dp/B00N2VIWPY/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=cat6&qid=1551876114&s=electronics&sr=1-3

5 minutes ago, Ryder1329 said:

it is a good one. seems shielded and gold plated edges . a bit hard as they refer in reviews and that means it is good for in wall mounting. pick it up if you like the price

15 minutes ago, chriskarsd said:

it is a good one. seems shielded and gold plated edges . a bit hard as they refer in reviews and that means it is good for in wall mounting. pick it up if you like the price

thanks you helped me a lot