7700k to Hot?

Go to solution Solved by TheElectronicGeek1,
2 minutes ago, Millhaws said:

Okay I just set the voltage to adaptive mode and noticed no difference in temps. I don't see where to set the clockspeed to adaptive though and my core clocks are set to 4.5GHz. but if that is normal than that's all that matters to me. i did take another screenshot of HWMonitor this time so maybe that will help a bit more but regardless this is the most help ive gotten on this issue so again thank you.

Capture2.PNG

Check for speed step in the bios or some adaptive clockspeed. Also set your power profile in windows power settings to balanced. It looks like your clockspeed is still at the maximum so speedstep is off or your power profile is on high performance which locks it at full speed all the time.

Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to water cooling and was hoping someone here might be able to help me out.

I am running a 7700k on a ASUS Prime-Z270 board being cooled with an EK-Velocity block, a D5 pump and an EK-CoolStream SE 480 radiator. I've set the voltage at 1.2V and the pump to run at full speed but other than that everything else is set at stock. I'm getting temps at idle of around 40C with spikes up to around 55C and using Cinebench as a benchmark I'm getting temps around 65C and a score of 836. I'm not to concerned about the load temps but the idle temps seem to be high to me. However like I said, I am new to this and am not sure if these temps are normal for the setup that I have. If anyone has any info that might help I would be very grateful.

Thanks 

Where do you live? If you live someplace hot where you room is always going to be warm that could be the warm Idle temperature. 

Main PC

------------

i5-9400f @2.9GHz | Corsair H100i Elite Capellix |Gigabyte RGB GTX1060 6GB | Corsair CX650M | Island Professional 120GB SSD | Toshiba 2TB HDD | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16 DDR4 3200MHz  | Corsair iCUE 220T | Windows 10 Pro | CPU R20 Cinebench Score -  pts | OpenGL FPS -  FPS | Novabench Score (OC) -  Base - 

Keyboard and Mouse

------------

Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry Mx Red | Corsair Glaive RGB

Streaming PC (HP Compaq 8100 SFF)

------------

Xeon X3440 @2.53GHz | Radeon HD 6450 | HP Compaq 240watt PSU | Toshiba 1TB HDD | Samsung 2x4 DDR3 1333MHz | HP Compaq 8100 SFF | Windows 10 Pro | CPU Cinebench Score - 409 cb | OpenGL FPS - 16.77 FPS | Novabench Score (OC) - 991 Base - 938

Keyboard and Mouse

------------

Logitech G413 Silver White LED Romer-G Switch | Old Gateway Mouse

Monitors

------------

AOC - 21.5" IPS LED FHD Model - l2279VWHE | AOC - 24" TN Panel FHD 144hz 1ms Response - Model G2460PF

17 minutes ago, Millhaws said:

Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to water cooling and was hoping someone here might be able to help me out.

I am running a 7700k on a ASUS Prime-Z270 board being cooled with an EK-Velocity block, a D5 pump and an EK-CoolStream SE 480 radiator. I've set the voltage at 1.2V and the pump to run at full speed but other than that everything else is set at stock. I'm getting temps at idle of around 40C with spikes up to around 55C and using Cinebench as a benchmark I'm getting temps around 65C and a score of 836. I'm not to concerned about the load temps but the idle temps seem to be high to me. However like I said, I am new to this and am not sure if these temps are normal for the setup that I have. If anyone has any info that might help I would be very grateful.

Thanks 

The TIM (paste between metal ihs and cpu die) is shit on those cpu's. The idle is a little high but that load temp is actually pretty good. Make sure your pump and fans are running at the right speed. I'm not too experienced with watercooling so im not sure. I would check if your clockspeed and voltage are staying at full speed if the idle is high. If it is then you can set it in the bios to active voltage and clockspeed so it goes down when not under load.

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

16 minutes ago, AirSocial said:

Where do you live? If you live someplace hot where you room is always going to be warm that could be the warm Idle temperature. 

I live in Michigan so I don't think that's the problem with our winters seemingly lasting half the year.

18 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

The TIM (paste between metal ihs and cpu die) is shit on those cpu's. The idle is a little high but that load temp is actually pretty good. Make sure your pump and fans are running at the right speed. I'm not too experienced with watercooling so im not sure. I would check if your clockspeed and voltage are staying at full speed if the idle is high. If it is then you can set it in the bios to active voltage and clockspeed so it goes down when not under load.

Thanks for the quick response. I think my clockspeeds and voltage are fine but just incase i'll attach a screenshot of what CPUID is saying just to be safe should you or anyone else like to see that, and I will see what I can do about my fan speeds to see if that helps. thanks again!

Capture.PNG

Just now, Millhaws said:

Thanks for the quick response. I think my clockspeeds and voltage are fine but just incase i'll attach a screenshot of what CPUID is saying just to be safe should you or anyone else like to see that, and I will see what I can do about my fan speeds to see if that helps. thanks again!

Capture.PNG

Yeah it looks fine, it's a good chip for overclocking. But use something like hwinfo that shows your clockspeed while idling and see if it ever goes down. If it doesn't then that's your problem. You can leave it and it will be fine, but to reduce power consumption and heat set the votlage and clockspeed to variable/active in the bios.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

31 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

Yeah it looks fine, it's a good chip for overclocking. But use something like hwinfo that shows your clockspeed while idling and see if it ever goes down. If it doesn't then that's your problem. You can leave it and it will be fine, but to reduce power consumption and heat set the votlage and clockspeed to variable/active in the bios.

Okay I just set the voltage to adaptive mode and noticed no difference in temps. I don't see where to set the clockspeed to adaptive though and my core clocks are set to 4.5GHz. but if that is normal than that's all that matters to me. i did take another screenshot of HWMonitor this time so maybe that will help a bit more but regardless this is the most help ive gotten on this issue so again thank you.

Capture2.PNG

2 minutes ago, Millhaws said:

Capture2.PNG

Check for speed step in the bios or some adaptive clockspeed. Also set your power profile in windows power settings to balanced. It looks like your clockspeed is still at the maximum so speedstep is off or your power profile is on high performance which locks it at full speed all the time.

Asus GU501gm

22 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

You were right! my power settings were set to high performance and I was able to find speedstep which was set to auto so I changed each one respectively and at the very least my minimum temps dropped a few degrees and my clocks are going down now. Thanks for all your help :)

4 minutes ago, Millhaws said:

You were right! my power settings were set to high performance and I was able to find speedstep which was set to auto so I changed each one respectively and at the very least my minimum temps dropped a few degrees and my clocks are going down now. Thanks for all your help :)

No problem, don't forget to mark post as solved. If you want more performance your chip will very likely go further. 4.5ghz at 1.2v is very good and you might even be able to hit 5ghz. 

Asus GU501gm