Linus for a secure OS

Hi everyone,  I tried out Linux Mint Cinnamon and I like it alot,  I want to use to have a more secure option when needed.

I used it on a USB flash drive but it was slow because of the slow flash drive.

I wanted to ask if using a USB 3.0 flash drive with 200mbs/s one a USB 3.0 port would make for a smooth Linux operating experience.

Like this one

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BAR-Plus-64GB-Champagne/dp/B07BPHN7LV/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmrnull_3?keywords=samsung+bar+flash+drive&qid=1551779948&s=gateway&sr=8-3-fkmrnull

I have a hot swap bay as well,  so how would something like this be?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADATA-Ultimate-SU650-2-5-120GB-SATA-III-3D-NAND-Internal-Solid-State-Drive-SSD/401607772747?epid=26028680201&hash=item5d81b04a4b:g:BkAAAOSwn6RbtUh-

Will the swap bay connectere get worn out if I remove the ssd quite often?

I just want to be able to remove the storage device once I am done using linix so that's it's not connected when I am using Windows.

Resultado de imagem para samsung bar plus review

Looks like it, the Samsung Bar Plus has decent 4K speeds (crucial for the OS itself only, and any other program or workload that might take advantage of 4K speeds like copying a folder with lots of different files in it)

Edited by NunoLava1998
it is the edit MESSAGE ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !n ! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Live instances are usually pretty OK once they have loaded up from my experience. Think most if not all of the OS just gets thrown into the RAM anyway 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

22 minutes ago, zFox said:

smooth

Highly subjective...but easy enough to try it out and see

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

22 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Live instances are usually pretty OK once they have loaded up from my experience. Think most if not all of the OS just gets thrown into the RAM anyway 

He could also install it to the flash drive as if it were a hard drive. Also yes, live environments are loaded on your RAM, but if your drive is slow it will take a while to boot and not all programs are loaded on the RAM, meaning it may take a while to launch anything.

43 minutes ago, zFox said:

I wanted to ask if using a USB 3.0 flash drive with 200mbs/s one a USB 3.0 port would make for a smooth Linux operating experience.

It depends more on the quality of the drive itself than on the speed of the port, since pen drives are often much slower than an internal SSD and sometimes slower than a hard disk. As you can see from @NunoLava1998's post the speeds aren't that high. It's probably fast enough for Mint, but an SSD will definitely give you a better experience. I don't see why you'd have to swap it in and out though - that doesn't make a lot of sense.

46 minutes ago, zFox said:

I just want to be able to remove the storage device once I am done using Linux so that's it's not connected when I am using Windows.

...why?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

He could also install it to the flash drive as if it were a hard drive. Also yes, live environments are loaded on your RAM, but if your drive is slow it will take a while to boot and not all programs are loaded on the RAM, meaning it may take a while to launch anything.

It depends more on the quality of the drive itself than on the speed of the port, since pen drives are often much slower than an internal SSD and sometimes slower than a hard disk. As you can see from @NunoLava1998's post the speeds aren't that high. It's probably fast enough for Mint, but an SSD will definitely give you a better experience. I don't see why you'd have to swap it in and out though - that doesn't make a lot of sense.

...why?

Can you explain to me how Linux is installed onto a flash drive as if it were a hard drive? 

The reason for swapping is the worry that if Windows get infected with a virus, malware, or Trojan,  whoever has access to my pc can infect all my drives including the Linux one?  if they know what they are doing.  I need to use linux for Emails and other important stuff such as online purchasing,  I just want to be safe.

3 minutes ago, zFox said:

Can you explain to me how Linux is installed onto a flash drive as if it were a hard drive?

Sure, just install it as you normally would on a hard drive and choose your flash drive in the partitioning step.

4 minutes ago, zFox said:

The reason for swapping is the worry that if Windows get infected with a virus, malware, or Trojan,  whoever has access to my pc can infect all my drives including the Linux one? if they know what they are doing.

No, they can't. The worst they could do would be formatting your Linux drive and you'd lose the data on it - not a problem if you make backups (as you should).

6 minutes ago, zFox said:

I need to use linux for Emails and other important stuff such as online purchasing,  I just want to be safe.

If that's all you need it would probably be more convenient for you to use a virtual machine. If you want to be extra safe, encrypt your Linux installation (regardless of whether you'd using a VM or a real drive).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*