Should you partition an SSD

Hi !

The question is in the name of the topic !

I want to dual boot my computer which wil be running with an nvme SSD.

I've seen here and there that having two OS an their partitions on a single SSD could be harmfull for it because wear levelling problems. 

Thoughts ? 

Since my mobo will have two slots, what would be best ? One 500gb ssd partitionned to have both OS, or two 250gb one for each os ? 

Price is not really a concern but long term longevity is.

Thanks for you time

1 minute ago, Archen Von Dreknov said:

I've seen here and there that having two OS an their partitions on a single SSD could be harmfull for it because wear levelling problems. 

Thoughts ? 

Whoever claimed that was oversimplifying things. Yes, it would affect wear-leveling a little, if one or neither OS used TRIM, but the effect would be slower performance, not shorter lifespan. On the other hand, if both OSes make use of TRIM, then there's nothing to care about.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I rather get two ssd for multiple operating systems than to use one operating system. This is not because of fear of damaging the SSD but rather simplying the installation of multiple operating systems. 

I would get the largest SSD you can afford over 2 smaller ones any day.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Every custom configuration on anything always puts an extra weight on something else. Partitioning will put a small delay on the mechanical drives, on an ssd and the same on older cds with multisections etc. Those things work with controllers,i would call it a special program. By partioning you put an extra task of checking if what you want to do is in the partiotion that it reads or not. Will you notice it? propably no. For that in mind i would say that to the nature of ssd with so small amounts of data to store i wouldnt bother partitiong. Better have 2 ssds. If it was and hdd i would say partition it instead of buying another hdd, only if you care about electricity bills and ecological matters....

3 minutes ago, chriskarsd said:

Every custom configuration on anything always puts an extra weight on something else. Partitioning will put a small delay on the mechanical drives, on an ssd and the same on older cds with multisections etc. Those things work with controllers,i would call it a special program. By partioning you put an extra task of checking if what you want to do is in the partiotion that it reads or not. Will you notice it? propably no. For that in mind i would say that to the nature of ssd with so small amounts of data to store i wouldnt bother partitiong. Better have 2 ssds. If it was and hdd i would say partition it instead of buying another hdd, only if you care about electricity bills and ecological matters....

Well i do, but not as it comes down to computer lol

Thanks for the explaination. I'll stick to my original idea of having two SSD !

13 minutes ago, chriskarsd said:

Partitioning will put a small delay on the mechanical drives, on an ssd and the same on older cds with multisections etc. Those things work with controllers,i would call it a special program. By partioning you put an extra task of checking if what you want to do is in the partiotion that it reads or not.

What a load of rubbish! The controllers don't know or care about your filesystems or partition-schemes! It's the OS that handles such tasks, the drives' controllers only deal with raw data!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 hours ago, WereCatf said:

What a load of rubbish! The controllers don't know or care about your filesystems or partition-schemes! It's the OS that handles such tasks, the drives' controllers only deal with raw data!

do you happen to know the degree of technical knowledge of the people that asks the question? Cause i didnt. I had to make it a bit easier for him to understand. I didnt want to write a whole essay as to how linux, macos , windows treats the partitions. I can teach you though with my 30 years old professional experstise in that matter! I may not know how to write english that good...but partioning???? hell i know tons. Yet you havent answer his question....

10 minutes ago, chriskarsd said:

Yet you havent answer his question

I did, it's actually the very 2nd post in this entire thread.

Calm down guys :D

Anyway you both seem to agree on the fact i'd be easier, if not better to have 2SSD instead of one.

I'd love to learn more about patitions tho ! 

18 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I did, it's actually the very 2nd post in this entire thread.

thank you. havent seen it cause i was writting other posts so no offense but i was a bit angry while working....

1 hour ago, chriskarsd said:

thank you. havent seen it cause i was writting other posts so no offense but i was a bit angry while working....

No hard feelings, mate. We all have those moments.