How are DataVac and CompuCleaner any different from regular leaf blowers?

There are people on the internet who use leaf blowers to clean their PCs and those who oppose them because of potential static, blowing components off, etc. Meanwhile DataVac and CompuCleaner are very liked and recommended by so many people. So, how are they different from regular leaf blowers? Are they safe from causing static electricity in the air?

Amazon.co.uk doesn't ship CompuCleaner to Bulgaria and Datavac can only be ordered from the US which means it will cost me extra taxes so I'm left with the only option to get a leaf blower but because of so many different opinions, I can't decide for myself, still.

I would just get a compressor... More versatile, and almost certainly better built. Add a moisture trap, and you're off to the races.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeWalt-DPC6MRC-QS-Litre-Compressor-without/dp/B01AJVOPDW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1551641911&sr=8-3&keywords=dewalt+air+compressor

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

After using a DataVac, the regular one, for years, I haven't had a single issue with static buildup. The anti-static versions are probably just for people who work on other people's electronics more of an insurance against trying to put blame on the technician.

Anyway, since I have no use for a leaf blower and the DataVac is designed specifically for air dusting electronics, that's what I went with.

3 hours ago, wngg said:

DataVac and CompuCleaner are very liked and recommended by so many people. So, how are they different from regular leaf blowers? Are they safe from causing static electricity in the air?

Trade environment, data vac is easier, smaller, more maneuverable.

Customers would have a fit if you used a leaf blower and they saw you.

Good blower is close to the cost of the data vac (in my world of tools anyway)

I just use a compressor, carefully, not really useful in a trade environment though, big loud and can literally blow smd off boards. 

Datavacs have their place, just not for most home users, but like I said they cost about the same as a leaf blower. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

1 hour ago, it_dont_work said:

Datavacs have their place, just not for most home users, but like I said they cost about the same as a leaf blower. 

I do not regret my purchase one bit. I use it for cleaning around the house as well as the PC where my compressor is too big/powerful/dirty. I got the cheap one for £50.

I would 100% recommend over air cans for home users. Even if your only a 2-4 a year cleaner of your PC like me (not a lot of dust). My old PC used to get clogged up way more than my current one so its paid for itself already (air cans were useless on my old rig).

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Other than having less PSI, which prevents using too much pressure which can damage the system, it's the same thing.

Vacuums on the other hand, are a different story. Correct ones have a particulate filter for cleaning stuff like toner so it doesn't become airborne as it's toxic.

2 minutes ago, Evanair said:

Other than having less PSI, which prevents using too much pressure which can damage the system, it's the same thing.

Vacuums on the other hand, are a different story. Correct ones have a particulate filter for cleaning stuff like toner so it doesn't become airborne as it's toxic.

I happen to agree, toner is quite toxic when inhaled.

11 hours ago, Lord Mirdalan said:

I would just get a compressor... More versatile, and almost certainly better built. Add a moisture trap, and you're off to the races.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeWalt-DPC6MRC-QS-Litre-Compressor-without/dp/B01AJVOPDW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1551641911&sr=8-3&keywords=dewalt+air+compressor

You mean, like this? ?

5badde102b913_AirCompressorvsPC-2017-08-22a-CPUCooler.thumb.jpg.391fa58bcbf2be1f16ae59b37444a17f.jpg

5badde141694e_AirCompressorvsPC-2017-08-22b-VideoCard.thumb.jpg.7b24e52be3e349cf8df5f51688e13a89.jpg

Spoiler

(I didn't actually have it turned on or maybe even plugged in (don't remember anymore), it was just set up for the photo.)

Btw, that very compressor has on multiple occasions tripped the main 100-amp breaker for the entire 1962-built house+yard! ?

9 hours ago, it_dont_work said:

I just use a compressor, carefully, not really useful in a trade environment though, big loud and can literally blow smd off boards. 

So maybe our compressor has the potential to be just a wee bit TOO powerful for cleaning a PC?

This wasn't from the compressor, but

a_2p_z06_P1600830.thumb.jpg.a4d953b0b18c2becae7fbd3ae63a423f.jpg

That's near the CPU socket on the back of my ASRock Z97 Extreme6.

See the upper chip, the 2 pads to the left?  The lower chip has a component there whereas the upper one's component is missing.

The system still boots up & runs okay, though.

8 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

I do not regret my purchase one bit. I use it for cleaning around the house as well as the PC where my compressor is too big/powerful/dirty. I got the cheap one for £50.

I would 100% recommend over air cans for home users. Even if your only a 2-4 a year cleaner of your PC like me (not a lot of dust). My old PC used to get clogged up way more than my current one so its paid for itself already (air cans were useless on my old rig).

I've used cans for my laptop, and sometimes for my desktop.  More often though, I'll take the fans out, & run over them with a brush and damp rag combo.  Sometimes though I still see particles of dust in hard-to-get crevasses.

11 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

I want to get the datavac but they don't ship to my country so I'm looking for an alternative and I'm trying to understand if there is a big difference in regards to dusting quality and safety. 

Please don't recommend me these huge compressors that cost 5 times the datavac and compucleaner. I'm not going to clean 100 PCs a day. 

2 hours ago, wngg said:

I want to get the datavac but they don't ship to my country so I'm looking for an alternative and I'm trying to understand if there is a big difference in regards to dusting quality and safety. 

Air cans and some brushes might help. I like to take out radiators to brush them down. Great for keyboards too.

A good microfibre colth goes a long way for surfaces.

In the end you have to make so with what you can get your hands on. You may have to sacrifice a little bit of cleanliness to keep on budget, will that affect your temperatures and OC significantly? That depends on how dusty your case gets.

In the end prevention is better, moving to a positive pressure case and having filters for my fans has almost made my air blower irrelevant. It is just getting those hard to reach areas and speeds things up.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

18 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

So maybe our compressor has the potential to be just a wee bit TOO powerful for cleaning a PC?

Only if I forget to turn the regulator down first. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige