Faulty RX 580

Secksee
Go to solution Solved by Secksee,
On 2/28/2019 at 3:40 PM, GoldenLag said:

and you have uninstalled the old drivers using DDU and reinstalled the new ones using Radeon Software?

It turns out it was a driver issue, I had it installed into my personal computer to test it and since I didn’t want to uninstall all of my own drivers it didn’t work properly, but as soon as it went into the brand new project I was working on it worked perfectly with its current drivers. Thank you for being so helpful and straightforward. 

I just ordered a used graphics card from a reliable source on EBay and whenever I play a game it stutters heavily, using settings that a 580 8gb could obviously handle. I turned on the on screen display on NZXT’s CAM which has been very reliable to me in the past and it says that I am using -.1gb of vram. If anyone can help me troubleshoot this issue I’d appreciate it a lot, thank you! And yes, I installed the latest driver. 

and you have uninstalled the old drivers using DDU and reinstalled the new ones using Radeon Software?

Just now, GoldenLag said:

No, actually I was unaware that I should do that. I’ll try when i get home and update the post.

Just now, Secksee said:

No, actually I was unaware that I should do that. I’ll try when i get home and update the post.

its a neccesary step when getting a new GPU. 

5 minutes ago, pizapower said:

You got a mining GPU.

What makes you say that?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

What makes you say that? 

Almost every RX580 on the used market has been used for mining. Gamers usually buy NVIDIA GPUs.

Just now, pizapower said:

Almost every RX580 on the used market has been used for mining. Gamers usually buy NVIDIA GPUs.

during the mining crisis miners bought anything. inlcluding any Nvidia card except gtx 1060 3GB because not enough Vram

Just now, pizapower said:

Ok but these symptoms don't sound like mining degradation at all. If mining was done in bad conditions, it would affect the power delivery and not vram usage.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, pizapower said:

um they were using both nvidea and amd. and gamers dont jjust mainly do nvidea (facepalm)

Just now, circeseye said:

um they were using both nvidea and amd. and gamers dont jjust mainly do nvidea (facepalm)

Yes, they do. Haven't you seen Steam hardware survey?

GTX 1060  14.31%
GTX 1080  2.74%
GTX 1080 Ti   1.59%
RX 580  0.79%

1 hour ago, pizapower said:

Yes, they do. Haven't you seen Steam hardware survey?

GTX 1060  14.31%
GTX 1080  2.74%
GTX 1080 Ti   1.59%
RX 580  0.79%

there is a reason why people dont buy AMD. and its because of mindshare. and Nvidia is market dominant. so AMD is as much of a gamingcard company as Nvidia is. 

Plus Nvidia was able to keep pumping out GPUs during the mining craze, not many could get their hands on the RX cards. 

Let's just face it. Nvidia is better. Even Linus doesn't use AMD GPUs.

9 hours ago, pizapower said:

Nvidia is better.

well in almost every scenario. AMD does provide better performance in certain workloads that take advantage of FP16 performance. this is much the case on the new Radeon 7 which is very popular just for the compute performance at its pricepoint. 

Even Linus doesn't use AMD GPUs.

no he doesnt for good reasons. his channel is focused around "extreme" and since AMD hasnt had a top oof the line contender for a while, that is why. 

he is also a businessowner who will pay for the extra 20% renderspeed etc because it will eventually pay back over time. 

Let's just face it.

i mean, we have been facing it over the last 3 years....

and before that we still looked at Nvidia even though AMD offered the same. that is how the market worked. i mean look at how R9 fury didnt sell even though it was vastly better prices and performed similarly

15 hours ago, Secksee said:

I just ordered a used graphics card from a reliable source on EBay and whenever I play a game it stutters heavily, using settings that a 580 8gb could obviously handle. I turned on the on screen display on NZXT’s CAM which has been very reliable to me in the past and it says that I am using -.1gb of vram. If anyone can help me troubleshoot this issue I’d appreciate it a lot, thank you! And yes, I installed the latest driver. 

I got my self Rx 580 8gb like 3-4 months ago, was used for mining for 6 months (at least that what the seller said).

and i am still happy.

*try to run benchmark loops and see if it is a problem with just one game or all of them/stress test the gpu with aida 64 to see how the card handle unrealistic loads for long period of time.

*check the temp and if needed switch the thermal paste.

*do clean install of drivers.

*ask the seller if he flashed a mining bios on to the card if so reflash the stock bios.

*if all else faill open a ebay claim and send him back the card.

oh and it might be worth a try,some of the rx cards have double bios and a little black switch that allow you to switch between them,try it out.

sorry for my English.

hope i helped.

my current home setup:cpu:amd ryzen 2700 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo:gigabyte ab350-gaming 3 // ram:crosair vengance 8*4 // gpu:amd rx 5700 //

tower:antec p8 // psu:antec HCG 650w.

my current work setup: cpu:intel xeon x5675 // cpu cooler :generic 6 copper pipe // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram: 32GB ecc // gpu:amd r7 260x //                    

psu:antec 550w.

my current home server setup:cpu:intel xeon x5690 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram:crucial 8*2 // gpu:amd rx 580 //

tower:antec p110 silent // psu:antec HCG 850w.

On 2/28/2019 at 3:40 PM, GoldenLag said:

It turns out it was a driver issue, I had it installed into my personal computer to test it and since I didn’t want to uninstall all of my own drivers it didn’t work properly, but as soon as it went into the brand new project I was working on it worked perfectly with its current drivers. Thank you for being so helpful and straightforward.