Is Mouse Accleration Bad?

Scorpio 72472
Go to solution Solved by d3adc3II,

Short answer: it's bad for muscle memory.

Anything that is not constant and stable is bad for muscle memory.

Long answer: If it works for you, you can keep it. But if you want to improve in higher level, first thing you can do is to turn it off. The learning curve can be quite painful at first, but it's worth the effort.

hello,

i've always heard about mouse acceleration but never looked into it. recently I tried playing fps games without mouse acceleration I turned off the "enhance pointer precision" from the control panel. an guess what? I cant hit shit. it first off all feels very weird. I cant make long turns and my fine tuning of aim has gone down the gutter.

a lot of people have told me that mouse acceleration ruins my aim, but I've always played on a very small mouse pad (my pc desk is very small) and that option helps me fine tune my aim by moving it slowly and make big turns when I move the mouse fast. my hand seems to have adapted to it because I can easily guess what kind of speed I need to apply to make the turn and move the crosshair. it basically feels like natural instinct now.

so, should I try and force myself into learning non-accelerated gaming or just stick with mine. in essesnce what I really want to know is that. am I really missing something? by using mouse acceleration?

I am using a very cheap $2 mouse rn but ill be buying a g102/203 very soon. so I got curious.

NOTE: my present mouse cannot handle the movements I make with precision disabled

17 minutes ago, Scorpio 72472 said:

hello,

i've always heard about mouse acceleration but never looked into it. recently I tried playing fps games without mouse acceleration I turned off the "enhance pointer precision" from the control panel. an guess what? I cant hit shit. it first off all feels very weird. I cant make long turns and my fine tuning of aim has gone down the gutter.

a lot of people have told me that mouse acceleration ruins my aim, but I've always played on a very small mouse pad (my pc desk is very small) and that option helps me fine tune my aim by moving it slowly and make big turns when I move the mouse fast. my hand seems to have adapted to it because I can easily guess what kind of speed I need to apply to make the turn and move the crosshair. it basically feels like natural instinct now.

so, should I try and force myself into learning non-accelerated gaming or just stick with mine. in essesnce what I really want to know is that. am I really missing something? by using mouse acceleration?

I am using a very cheap $2 mouse rn but ill be buying a g102/203 very soon. so I got curious.

NOTE: my present mouse cannot handle the movements I make with precision disabled

Test with new Mouse, $2 mice are garbage in a lot of aspects and you should test yourself on a better input device with likely higher quality (sensors/liftoff distances and whatnot)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

just use whatever suits your style best, at the end you have to game with it, no one else. If u are better with acceleration, use acceleration. The best thing is to try different things and find out whats best for YOU :)

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

It's subjective. I can imagine not using acceleration when you have a cheap mouse is more difficult. If you have a better mouse where you can set the DPI and which has a good sensor I think turning off mouse acceleration is a good idea, though it will take some getting used to. Then again, if your mouse pad is very small and you don't feel that mouse acceleration is holding you back I don't really see any immediate need to turn it off. Just play the way you like and use whatever settings you are comfortable with.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Yes it is evil, kill it with fire.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Personal preferences. I can't stand non-linear mouse responses. Windows is bad, MacOS is even worse as speed falls off a cliff. If you only use one and got used to it, stick with it.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Short answer: it's bad for muscle memory.

Anything that is not constant and stable is bad for muscle memory.

Long answer: If it works for you, you can keep it. But if you want to improve in higher level, first thing you can do is to turn it off. The learning curve can be quite painful at first, but it's worth the effort.