Are SSDs Worth the Money?

Hi!

Are SSDs worth the money and should you get them in a gaming PC?

Also how many GBs should i get?

They make a world of difference and are very worth the money imo.

Make a poll and watch one skyrocket in comparison to the other.

*cough* ssds *cough*

I'm moving this thread to the Storage Solutions section.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I personally think it is worth it, if u gone ssd u will never go back to hdd's

IN my opinion they are the single most noticed upgrade in a system.

CPU: AMD FX 6300 @4.2GHZ | MSI 970A-G 46| Gskill Sniper 2X4GB 2400| Samsung 840 EVO 120GB| NZXT Phantom 410 gunmetal|

Apevia 680W Iceberg| HIS R9-270X| WD green 3TB| 

Yes they are really great and you should have them in your pc if possible. I have not got one yet though.

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

I just got mine a couple of months ago, its awesome

CPU: i5 3570k CPU Cooler: Hyper 212+ Mobo: Asrock Pro 4 Z77 GPU: Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 PSU: Seasonic G 650w HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB SSD: Kingston v300 Sound Card: Asus xonar dg MonitorAcer K272HUL, HP 22bw 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Logitech G400 Mousepad: Steelseries Qck+ Case: Corsair Air 540 Fans: 4x Noctua NF-P12 (saving up for more)

if you have the money to spare, sure - otherwise spend it on something else that can beef up your build.

I am buying a prebuilt pc, some people might think pre builts are bad but it is cheaper than buying the components seperately in my case 

yes! im a very impatient person when it comes to speed(or anything :P) and SSDs made me even more impatient. oh and MY SSD looks pretty damn cool! its all nice and red

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I didnt really notice much of an improvement from going from a 3 disk RAID0 to an SSD.

I did notice a massive difference in my laptop though.

I am buying a prebuilt pc, some people might think pre builts are bad but it is cheaper than buying the components seperately in my case 

well, hey, if it came with it and you don't really sacrifice other components then no reason to say no.

I do need to put it this way though, if you never had SSD and you're thinking of using SSD solely for boot drive, you can live without using it.

I'm one of those who prefer putting the $$$ towards gpu/wc loop/other comp before SSDs, but this hardly matters since you're going for prebuilt anyway

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

Yes, yes they are.

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

well, hey, if it came with it and you don't really sacrifice other components then no reason to say no.

I do need to put it this way though, if you never had SSD and you're thinking of using SSD solely for boot drive, you can live without using it.

I'm one of those who prefer putting the $$$ towards gpu/wc loop/other comp before SSDs, but this hardly matters since you're going for prebuilt anyway

The real question is, I am buying a £1000 pound gaming PC, should I buy SSDs if so how many GBs should i get.

It is VERY much worth it. GET IT! :) There is no going back :D I bought a small laptop for school use and i couldn't live with the hdd even for a week and bought a ssd to it also :D

|OscillosC Build|+ Raspberry Pi [NAS] + Another G5 + Personal + HTPC: Asus Z87-A - Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.5ghz 1.15v - Noctua NH-D14 - Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 OC @ 1170mhz core- Kingston HyperX 8gb 1600mhz CL9 - Samsung 840 PRO 128Gb SSD for Windows- Kingston V300 120gb for Ubuntu- WD Caviar Black 1Tb For games and programs - WD Caviar Green 2Tb For videos, photos, music, and backups- Seasonic P660 XP2 Platinum - Windows 8.1 PRO - Ubuntu 14.04 - Modded Bitfenix Ghost

The real question is, I am buying a £1000 pound gaming PC, should I buy SSDs if so how many GBs should i get.

Get 120gb and a 1-3tb hdd to pair with :)

|OscillosC Build|+ Raspberry Pi [NAS] + Another G5 + Personal + HTPC: Asus Z87-A - Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.5ghz 1.15v - Noctua NH-D14 - Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 OC @ 1170mhz core- Kingston HyperX 8gb 1600mhz CL9 - Samsung 840 PRO 128Gb SSD for Windows- Kingston V300 120gb for Ubuntu- WD Caviar Black 1Tb For games and programs - WD Caviar Green 2Tb For videos, photos, music, and backups- Seasonic P660 XP2 Platinum - Windows 8.1 PRO - Ubuntu 14.04 - Modded Bitfenix Ghost

Going from HDD to SSD was like being born again, no kidding. It's SO much better, get it at once!

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

doesn't your prebuilt comes with some sort of storage? if so, how much storage?

just get a decent 120~ish SSD and you'd get your money's worth

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

It comes with 1tb

Are SSDs worth the money and should you get them in a gaming PC?

Also how many GBs should i get?

They are. Get a 120gb 840 Evo and put OS and some most used programs in it and you will feel like you have a brand new system.

It comes with 1tb

Here's my response to your question:

klXBWzRl.jpg

I can never go back to HDD...