Switch pro controller not being detected by Windows

MajorFoley

Hey guys having a minor issue. From a lot of the posts i have seen the Nintendo switch pro controller is supposed to be mainly plug n play then use steam controller settings to set it up. however windows is not recognising it at all. Not getting the USB connection sound or anything. Any ideas? Using Windows 10 pro tried different USB ports

If you have tried all that stuff, then I would say that it has to be some sort of windows compatibility issue, or your cable is messed up.

9 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Try Bluetooth

Motherboard doesn't have inbuilt bluetooth and i don't have a dongle, would i need a high version of the dongle or would any do? I know theres specific dongles like 8bitdo and Magic NS but i would personally rather wired.

9 hours ago, Master Dorphath said:

If you have tried all that stuff, then I would say that it has to be some sort of windows compatibility issue, or your cable is messed up.

Cables definitely not messed up, went to try the same setup laptop found it immediately. Tried scanning for hardware changes in task manager didn't work either.

5 hours ago, MajorFoley said:

Motherboard doesn't have inbuilt bluetooth and i don't have a dongle, would i need a high version of the dongle or would any do? I know theres specific dongles like 8bitdo and Magic NS but i would personally rather wired.

You would need newer version Bluetooth Dongle, like Bluetooth Version 4 or so.

2 Doesn't work because of the requirement for Passwords (yeah, tried that).

You do not need the 8bitdo Dongle, any Standard (USB) Dongle should do. And I would also sugest to get a USB one and put them in your front USB Port on your case.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

58 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

You would need newer version Bluetooth Dongle, like Bluetooth Version 4 or so.

2 Doesn't work because of the requirement for Passwords (yeah, tried that).

You do not need the 8bitdo Dongle, any Standard (USB) Dongle should do. And I would also sugest to get a USB one and put them in your front USB Port on your case.

I'd still rather use a wire if possible though.

Ok progress, i was able to get Windows to recognise it, i think my xbox 360 controller drivers were preventing it from installing for some reason... Anyway ran into other problems now, when i activate the steam options to use the controller when i check those windows controller settings in control panel all the buttons look like they are being pressed extremely fast, meaning i can't set up their binds in some games and programs. Any ideas there?

• 1 year later...
On 3/1/2019 at 9:05 PM, MajorFoley said:

Ok progress, i was able to get Windows to recognise it, i think my xbox 360 controller drivers were preventing it from installing for some reason... Anyway ran into other problems now, when i activate the steam options to use the controller when i check those windows controller settings in control panel all the buttons look like they are being pressed extremely fast, meaning i can't set up their binds in some games and programs. Any ideas there?

how did you do that? im still stuck with getting windows to see mine

On 3/10/2020 at 12:50 PM, Cyan101 said:

how did you do that? im still stuck with getting windows to see mine

Hi Cyan. Ok so unfortunately that windows controller settings window is pretty useless for this don't bother. Are you saying your not even getting a windows detects device sound?

If you can get windows to detect it at some point (maybe try a different USB slot)

Open up steam and you need to open up big picture and at least if its a shortcut so if you plan on running dolphin you need to go into big picture > Find the game shortcut > Manage shortcut > Controller options > Then uncheck the box allow desktop configuration in launcher. I dunno if this will work with normal steam games but steams controller settings to have a switch controller enabler there. I only wanted to use it for dolphin but considering a bunch of games need analogue and not digital triggers It's not really worth it in the end without more work.