Plz explain,

Siddhant Mishra

What is the difference between LAN port and wan/LAN port on my Wi-Fi repeater ....in which of these ports should I put my Ethernet cable to connect it to my PC ......?

WAN- wide area network this is for if you ran a cable from like your main router, modem etc...  to the wan port thus giving the device the ability to give other devices a network connection through the LAN ports. 

LAN-Local area network is for if you like what you wanna do in your other post, run the cable from the repeater to the device (computer, Xbox, PlayStation, tv etc..) giving thus devive a wired connection, it is for your local devices.  

Any more questions let me know! 

Thanks,

As @thepanda66 stated above. Typical home use case, modem (fiber, cable, DSL, etc.) connects to the WAN port and your personal devices connect to the LAN ports.

For the second part of your question, you'll need to double check your user manual but typically you'll use the LAN port for repeater function.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

WAN is internet in, LAN is internet out.

If I connect my pcthrough Ethernet via this LAN port ... I should get Internet right?

thanks

34 minutes ago, thepanda66 said:

As @Razor Blade said check your manual for the repeater if it supports that setup then yes!!

https://www.amazon.in/WAVLINK-Extender-Wireless-Repeater-External/dp/B07FLHRH8J/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1548767893&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=wifi+repeater&psc=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=abdul01a-21&linkId=289adfe0bf96f226dae5f550e9442d87&language=en_IN

seem good? ..the way i wanted.. i mean can i use this for directly connecting it to PC ...if not plz suggest me one from this website....thank u

1 minute ago, thepanda66 said:

In theory, it seems as if it should work!

Well anything

else u could suggest me from Amazon.in

The one I linked will work for a fact and I trust them as a company! Them, Netgear, Asus, Ubiquiti etc... well-known companies will be the best bet! @Siddhant Mishra

2 hours ago, Siddhant Mishra said:

I haven't ever used those units. I've heard that there are inherent latency issues with pure wireless solutions... If you can run a network cable, the access point solution (router in bridge or AP mode) would give you better performance.

BTW latency issues would mostly be a problem if you plan to game...however it can adversely impact content streaming and possibly file downloads or transfers. For something like extending the wifi to the bedrooms for the kiddos, it would be a cheap and easy solution. But if you're wanting to extend wifi to your work or gaming computer, the access point is what I would recommend.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Razor Blade said:

I haven't ever used those units. I've heard that there are inherent latency issues with pure wireless solutions... If you can run a network cable, the access point solution (router in bridge or AP mode) would give you better performance.

BTW latency issues would mostly be a problem if you plan to game...however it can adversely impact content streaming and possibly file downloads or transfers. For something like extending the wifi to the bedrooms for the kiddos, it would be a cheap and easy solution. But if you're wanting to extend wifi to your work or gaming computer, the access point is what I would recommend.

My PC and router is 10 m away from each other... plus this mobo isn’t a Wi-Fi one .. so.  And btw one dude on u tube said that this was good and did live tests ..and file transfers were 3x faster

18 minutes ago, Siddhant Mishra said:

My PC and router is 10 m away from each other... plus this mobo isn’t a Wi-Fi one .. so.  And btw one dude on u tube said that this was good and did live tests ..and file transfers were 3x faster

If you feel as if you can trust it then go for it! let us know how it performs if you do I'm interested. But @Razor Blade makes a good point depending on your network use there is many different setups and solutions you could do! Is running a 30-50FT cable not possible and just hard wire directly in?

7 hours ago, thepanda66 said:

If you feel as if you can trust it then go for it! let us know how it performs if you do I'm interested. But @Razor Blade makes a good point depending on your network use there is many different setups and solutions you could do! Is running a 30-50FT cable not possible and just hard wire directly in?

I know but then i’d Require a lot number of race aways

9 hours ago, Siddhant Mishra said:

I don't want to talk you out of something and like I said I don't have experience with that particular product. Only experience I do have is word of mouth and past internet research. However there are plenty of proven options out there. For example If a physical network cable run isn't an option, a powerline adapter might be. It uses the electric line in your house to connect devices via 2 access points you plug into the wall.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Razor Blade said:

I don't want to talk you out of something and like I said I don't have experience with that particular product. Only experience I do have is word of mouth and past internet research. However there are plenty of proven options out there. For example If a physical network cable run isn't an option, a powerline adapter might be. It uses the electric line in your house to connect devices via 2 access points you plug into the wall.

Wow... power line adapter is just what I wanted .. thanks.  It’d kind enough if u send me a link of a video which explains the functioning ...thanks a lot

1 minute ago, Siddhant Mishra said:

Wow... power line adapter is just what I wanted .. thanks.  It’d kind enough if u send me a link of a video which explains the functioning ...thanks a lot

Here is an article that can help...

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-powerline-adapter-1846813

Also and LTT TQ video explaining how it works.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

Here is an article that can help...

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-powerline-adapter-1846813

Also and LTT TQ video explaining how it works.

Hey.   This seem good to u bro?

https://www.amazon.in/Aztech-HomePlug-Powerline-Ethernet-HL113E/dp/B00GK7HREO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1551331468&sr=8-2&keywords=Hl113e

7 minutes ago, Siddhant Mishra said:

Do you have 1Gb Ethernet to your other devices? If so maybe consider something like this

https://www.amazon.in/Tenda-Powerline-Ethernet-Pass-ThroughPowerline-1000MbpsPH6/dp/B07JGZ2RJH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551331923&sr=8-1&keywords=av1000

It is quite a bit more expensive but it is advertised as capable of gigabit speeds. Plus you have the benefit of passthrough power so you don't take up a plug.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Just now, Razor Blade said:

Do you have 1Gb Ethernet to your other devices? If so maybe consider something like this

https://www.amazon.in/Tenda-Powerline-Ethernet-Pass-ThroughPowerline-1000MbpsPH6/dp/B07JGZ2RJH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551331923&sr=8-1&keywords=av1000

It is quite a bit more expensive but it is advertised as capable of gigabit speeds. Plus you have the benefit of passthrough power so you don't take up a plug.

I have 70 mbps

8 minutes ago, Siddhant Mishra said:

I have 70 mbps

If you're just looking to extend that connection then the one you linked should work for that. The price difference between the two is pretty astounding... gigabit powerline adapters in the US are about 2/3 that price...

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Just now, Razor Blade said:

If you're just looking to extend that connection then the one you linked should work for that. The price difference between the two is pretty astounding...maybe because of the type G plug...

I see... linus told to plug it directly into the wall socket (for better performance) ...but I got a catch.. I have one socket for both router and this P adapter.....so can I connect the 1st into a surge protector (extension box)  and the other to wall .. will I notice any decrease in performance? Or both wall connections are better.......? The surge protector will be used only for router and this Adapter only........

2 minutes ago, Siddhant Mishra said:

I see... linus told to plug it directly into the wall socket (for better performance) ...but I got a catch.. I have one socket for both router and this P adapter.....so can I connect the 1st into a surge protector (extension box)  and the other to wall .. will I notice any decrease in performance? Or both wall connections are better.......? The surge protector will be used only for router and this Adapter only........

Can't say for certain. Only ever had them plugged directly into the wall. It sounds like you need a model with mains passthrough instead.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

Can't say for certain. Only ever had them plugged directly into the wall. It sounds like you need a model with mains passthrough instead.

Ok thanks for the help u have provided me.....