Moving existing Windows 10 m.2 ssd to new computer without re-install?

Maastonakki

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty sure that someone has asked about this before, but couldn't find any other kind of "Windows 10 move" topics, than going from HDD->SSD or replacing disk with bigger one.

But I'm planning to upgrade my computer during the spring (going from i7-6800k to i7-9900k) which would mean replacing mb and cpu. My current windows installation is on m.2 drive, and I wonder does windows nowadays support if I just take that m.2 and move it to new motherboard, or do I have to go through whole windows install process again?

You should ALWAYS clean install windows, especially when moving to new hardware.

It's not hard.
https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Make sure you do this first: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Most likely it will just boot without issues. That's with SATA SSDs and HDDs. There are very few situations where something doesn't work as it should. But overall Win10 is much better in this than previous version.

PS. You must have very weak search terms, this is almost daily topic in here.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 2/27/2019 at 3:23 PM, homeap5 said:

You can move your m.2 and boot without problem. Do not listen that you "must reinstall system every hardware change (even mouse)".

Good luck.

This. Windows 10 detects the new hardware and goes through a preparation before booting.

You'll still need to look at the drivers and maybe update some.