Do I need a hard drive?

ZZZach167

So I’m building a pc, and I don’t really want to spend the money on a hard drive. I know I’m getting an ssd either way. Is it even worth getting a hard drive yet for just gaming and a little editing?

If you need the space then yes. Most modern PC games these days can be quite big, and SSDs tend to be expensive, so you'll end up with not adequate storage. A 2TB HDD shouldn't be expensive

🙂

SSD now for windows, hard drive later is usually the way to go when you run out of space.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

SSD now for windows, hard drive later is usually the way to go when you run out of space.

THat is the reversed, LOL, i alwayys had a hard drive then UPgraded to SSD, lmao

1 minute ago, ManuelNigrito said:

THat is the reversed, LOL, i alwayys had a hard drive then UPgraded to SSD, lmao

I often find it waaay more convenient to not have to reinstall everything just for a new drive, in the amount of time it takes most people to fill a 240GB drive they've made $40 more for a 1TB HDD.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

If you have an SSD with a good amount of storage, is enough and a HDD is not really something you 100% need but some people like to get a SSD with 120 gb because it's cheap and then they purchase a HDD with 500,1tb,etc because its cheap and it still allows them to have that sweet fast booting time for windows! If you have a SSD with 500gb then it is all you need, unless you have alot of junk files like me :P (I have 5 500gb hdds, and 1 120gb ssd. ALL FULL >:( )

2 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

Welp, seeing as how I store everything on a 320GB HDD, no, not really.

good luck installing more than 4 games on that 

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Just now, aezakmi said:

What does four games need.

2TB?

Won’t visit often..

Just now, aezakmi said:

I am just fine with TF2 and Terraria.

I am planning on getting 500gb so I should hopefully be fine for now. I may upgrade later though. Thanks!

46 minutes ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

2TB?

the comment that was quoted said the person was using a 320gig

Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U *insert firetruck picture* :) 

get the ssd now.  a 500GB ssd will be more than enough for windows and most games that you'll be playing at a time anyways.  when you have an extra hundred you can get a 2TB HDD later on.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Forza Motorsport 7 and DOOM both use right around 100GB of space each.

If you want to put any amount of game data on your computer, you will eventually need a bigger drive.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air

4 hours ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

2TB?

~310GB, a 320GB drive has only 295 usable and let's say Bloat 10 uses at least 30 you end up with 265 not counting user files like music, images documents or programs, IRL you'd only have like 200GB left, install let's say Metro Exodus, Resident Evil 2 remake and Hitman 2 (which alone is 110GB BTW) and that's it

Quick maffs bruh

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

7 hours ago, ManuelNigrito said:

I can never get enough storage, I have over 45 TB on all my PC combined

What? How? What do you use it for?

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

7 hours ago, ManuelNigrito said:

But when you do that you have to reinstall the OS.

I'd get a 500gig SSD if I had planned to upgrade in the future, but if you can score 1TB of SSD then you need nothing more imo.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

6 minutes ago, SwagMaestro said:

What? How? What do you use it for?

Videos mostly and pictures too

I used Linus guide you just get a server case online and shove in the drives