Mac Pro upgrade video idea

StuForbes

I have watch most of LTT's youtube videos and in one of them, I can't remember which one, I noticed an old Mac Pro case looked like a 4.1 or 5.1. I thought it might be a cool idea to make a video on how powerful you could make in by upgrading it and maybe "hacking" it to work with newer gen CPU's. I wonder how close they would be able to get its performance to the latest Mac Pro???

There's not really a reason to. Old Mac Pro cases were literally just standard cases. I think you need to make your own mounting mechanism to get an ATX board in, but that's it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

the older mac pro's, given you mean the "truck sized chassis" are highly custom inside past their expansion slots, and at this point they run on seriously dated platforms.

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

There's not really a reason to. Old Mac Pro cases were literally just standard cases. I think you need to make your own mounting mechanism to get an ATX board in, but that's it.

they're nowhere near standard, but they defenately have the room to fit standard gear inside.

Yeah I mean the “truck sized” ? desktop ones. The huge silver things. I know they are dated but they are still pretty powerful machines but I feel like they could do something pretty insane with one of them. 

9 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

No, Mac Pro case is not a standard ATX case, you need to remove everything inside for a pc motherboard to fit in.

Second you need to wack the slots on the back, even remove it entirely or implant a regular pc back panel.

Third you need to rewire the front panel switches and ports so it can work with pc motherboard.

Lastly you need to figure out how to place the PSU.

You'll need more than a screwdriver, at least a hacksaw, a solder and a drill.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

No, Mac Pro case is not a standard ATX case, you need to remove everything inside for a pc motherboard to fit in.

Second you need to wack the slots on the back, even remove it entirely or implant a regular pc back panel.

Third you need to rewire the front panel switches and ports so it can work with pc motherboard.

Lastly you need to figure out how to place the PSU.

You'll need more than a screwdriver, at least a hacksaw, a solder and a drill.

For some reason I thought it was way more standard than it actually was just because of the form factor. I forgot Apple's allergy to anything off-the-shelf.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

13 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

For some reason I thought it was way more standard than it actually was just because of the form factor. I forgot Apple's allergy to anything off-the-shelf.

The closest case to be considered standard is the powermac g4 case i'm using right now, it can fit a micro atx with minimum hacking.

They're not entirely allergy to pc parts, for example you can buy off the shelf a pc gpu.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

If you see old case in LTT video, its most likely that they will build sleeper with it at some point.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

If you see old case in LTT video, its most likely that they will build sleeper with it at some point.

Perhaps the long fabled hackintosh build guide. Its hard to make a sleeper build video interesting, but a hackintosh inside an old cheese grater case would be fitting. 

8 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I hope you are right I think it could be super cool to see 

5 hours ago, harryk said:

Perhaps the long fabled hackintosh build guide. Its hard to make a sleeper build video interesting, but a hackintosh inside an old cheese grater case would be fitting. 

I agree 

I think Austin already did one recently 

5 hours ago, harryk said:

Do they really need to make another hackintosh "build guide"? My understanding is that parts picking is harder than for normal builds, and that bigger problem is installing OS.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 2/26/2019 at 7:47 AM, floofer said:

I think Austin already did one recently 

I haven’t seen a video for it