Just looking for your thoughts

SLV77

I am new to pc building so I need advice for later on, and I need to know exactly what faults are in my choosing so I don't do something improper, or something that will just limit me.

So, let's say I have about $500 dollars to spend on pc upgrades, and I wanted a different case so I could fit it in the cubby of my desk, therefore allowing me to have more space in my room for other stuff. I would plan on doing some gaming, and some work. I wouldn't overclock anything since I have no reason to in my eyes. Really, nothing TOO crazy. Just something that'll get me medium settings in 1080p at the minimum if I am honest.

So, I came up with something priced at $490.66 total (at the time of making this post). Tell me how you all think of it and if there is something dumb that I did, lemme know. Oh, and, the situation is hypothetical, so, it I did do something dumb, don't worry, I haven't spent a penny on anything. Plus, for reference, I currently have a Dell Precision T5500 with a RX580 put into there, with it running on 6 GB RAM.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

Cooler: Corsair H80i

Motherboard: ASRock A320M-ITX

RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Aegis at 2800 MHz

GPU: I currently run a RX580, I don't see a reason to upgrade this.

Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX

PSU: 550 watt Corsair CX, 80+ Bronze Certified

Again, just wanna have your input on this, so I don't make mistakes in the future.

Don't buy aftermarket cooler, get better motherboard instead.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

get a 2600, better motherboard, better ram (3000 or 3200mhz), and if you still have money left over, a better psu

Definitely don't do less than 3000mhz RAM for Ryzen, don't bother with an aftermarket cooler if you're not going to OC as the stock cooler that comes with Ryzen chips is decent.

Thank you so much for the advice, everyone. I'll be sure to keep it in mind for future reference.

15 hours ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Don't buy aftermarket cooler, get better motherboard instead.

15 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

get a 2600, better motherboard, better ram (3000 or 3200mhz), and if you still have money left over, a better psu

15 hours ago, Dayglorange said:

Definitely don't do less than 3000mhz RAM for Ryzen, don't bother with an aftermarket cooler if you're not going to OC as the stock cooler that comes with Ryzen chips is decent.

Last night I had went back into part picker and kept what suggestions I had gotten in mind. I removed the Corsair and then went on to change the CPU, PSU, RAM, and Motherboard. So, I will list the new list and you guys can tell me if it's a great improvement. Also, this raised the price to being right under $500 so this will be either above budget or below budget depending on time. Plus, I also am showing the changes in this post just in case you feel the need to scroll up.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 Ryzen 5 2600 (Also using the cooler that comes in the box with the cpu)

Motherboard: ASRock A320M-ITX Gigabyte B450 I Aorus pro

RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Aegis at 2800 MHz 16GB ADATA XPG Gammix DDR4-3000

SSD: Kingston A400 (This is pretty cheap, but, it's something. Better than a HDD.)

PSU: 550 watt Corsair CX, 80+ Bronze Certified 550 watt Corsair RMx 80+ Gold, fully modular

So, those are the changes I had made. Looking over these I am more confident this time around. Other than the SSD, maybe. But I don't mind getting rid of it. Since, this time things seem much more promising than the last list. But, perhaps there could be things that are still able to be changed around. So, I don't mind people putting their input on this as well.

6 minutes ago, SLV77 said:

Last night I had went back into part picker and kept what suggestions I had gotten in mind. I removed the Corsair and then went on to change the CPU, PSU, RAM, and Motherboard. So, I will list the new list and you guys can tell me if it's a great improvement. Also, this raised the price to being right under $500 so this will be either above budget or below budget depending on time. Plus, I also am showing the changes in this post just in case you feel the need to scroll up.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 Ryzen 5 2600 (Also using the cooler that comes in the box with the cpu)

SSD: Kingston A400 (This is pretty cheap, but, it's something. Better than a HDD.)

PSU: 550 watt Corsair CX, 80+ Bronze Certified 550 watt Corsair RMx 80+ Gold, fully modular

So, those are the changes I had made. Looking over these I am more confident this time around. Other than the SSD, maybe. But I don't mind getting rid of it. Since, this time things seem much more promising than the last list. But, perhaps there could be things that are still able to be changed around. So, I don't mind people putting their input on this as well.

yup, that looks much better!

1 hour ago, SLV77 said:

Now we're talking. This looks like a proper gaming build now.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

I would double and triple check that the RAM you've picked is on the QVL for your motherboard because Ryzen is notoriously fussy with RAM. Or, at least in my experience, it was ? I would also recommend if you can take advantage of your motherboard's NVMe capability and get a 120/240/480/500 (probably comes down to price and how much stuff you want to put on it for regular use) GB drive for your OS and most used programs/games, then you can get a big HDD for mass storage.