gtx 1060 6gb for $120 worth it?

Apark2241

I have a secondary pc i have from when i recently upgraded my main PC that i have at work for some gaming. 1080P 60hz nothing crazy. Normally playing diablo 3 , now apex legends, and fortnite. Is a 1060 6gb worth putting in for $120? or just wait ? it currently uses a 770,  4770k 16gb ram ssd HD. 

It's definitely a big upgrade, and the price sounds right as well. I'd go for it if I were you.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

7 minutes ago, Apark2241 said:

I have a secondary pc i have from when i recently upgraded my main PC that i have at work for some gaming. 1080P 60hz nothing crazy. Normally playing diablo 3 , now apex legends, and fortnite. Is a 1060 6gb worth putting in for $120? or just wait ? it currently uses a 770,  4770k 16gb ram ssd HD. 

Get it before someone else does. $120 for a 1060, let alone a 6gb version, is an amazing deal and it will pair well with your 4770k.

8 minutes ago, Apark2241 said:

I have a secondary pc i have from when i recently upgraded my main PC

why would you ever game on secondary PC? dont make sense to me

a fair question. Im a fire fighter and have down time at work sometimes. So i took my old gaming PC into work and keep it there. My primary computer that i just built is at home. 

20 minutes ago, Apark2241 said:

look at RX570/8GiB as well.
They are not much more and a bit better, I'd upgrade to that instead.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

look at RX570/8GiB as well.
They are not much more and a bit better, I'd upgrade to that instead.

my only concern with that card is a while back i had an absolutely terrible experience with AMD drivers and just swore them off. That was quite some time ago but just put a bad taste in my mouth. I was very close to getting one of those as well though. They are a beast of a card. 

Just now, Apark2241 said:

my only concern with that card is a while back i had an absolutely terrible experience with AMD drivers and just swore them off. That was quite some time ago but just put a bad taste in my mouth. I was very close to getting one of those as well though. They are a beast of a card. 

Yeah, that's why nVidia can ask 1299€ for a GPU, because people, if they have an Issue with the other side, they just blame them and never try them again.

If you have an issue with nVidia, you just fix it.

Or just use a different drivers.

I've heard a couple of times that there are issues with the nVidia Drivers as well, the difference is that nobody seem to care too much about that and just tell you to use a different driver...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

21 minutes ago, Apark2241 said:

i mean... 1060 6 for 120 is a steal, go for it

but don't expect too much, the newer drivers are a bit messy the last while

54 minutes ago, Apark2241 said:

thank you for the input everyone. Got a 1060 6gb for $116 shipped :) 

Hot damn that's a good deal. Which model did you end up with?

6 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

I've heard a couple of times that there are issues with the nVidia Drivers as well, the difference is that nobody seem to care too much about that and just tell you to use a different driver...

The world we live in..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

13 hours ago, Apark2241 said:

Yep. You're not going to get a better deal until 2020 when the 3000 series launches. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

13 hours ago, Apark2241 said:

Is a 1060 6gb worth putting in for $120?

Very yes.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

That’s a good deal, I sold my buddy my old rx580 8gb for $125 and they are close in performance. It’s absolutely worth $120, get it and don’t look back 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

21 hours ago, ThisIsCheez said:

Hot damn that's a good deal. Which model did you end up with?

Its a gigabyte G1 gaming. 

9 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

That’s a good deal, I sold my buddy my old rx580 8gb for $125 and they are close in performance. It’s absolutely worth $120, get it and don’t look back 

Yea really from what i've seen the 1060 6gb or the rx 580 8gb under 140-150 is pretty solid.