Is the Node 202 the Best Case for My Needs?

Immitem

Hello there. My second forum post in the last couple of days, I am becoming active, hehe.

I am going to be doing a SFF workstation build with the intent of hot-desking and the Node 202 seems to be the best case for me but I have a few questions first.

Mind you, I already measured and it will fit into my carry-on and motorcycle saddle-bags, I just need to know if it will survive. I do not intend to drop it or anything, only put it through what my Sager NP9150 survived over the last 6 years.

The first is how good is the internal GPU support brace and will it be enough to keep the Titan XM I intend to put into it steady without warping it?

Second, is the build quality sufficient enough that I can expect it to not warp when packed in tightly with clothes?

Third, unrelated but can anyone think of a good quality keyboard with roughly the same width (14-15 inches) that has a full numpad? 

Lastly, less related to the case itself, will the low-profile Noctua CPU cooler be too heavy for the motherboard and risk damaging it if the case gets jostled? Should I add some sort of brace against the top of the case so that its weight is not being thrown around?

That should be it. If anyone knows of a better case with the same or smaller dimensions that can fit everything on my PC Parts Picker list then feel free to share, thanks!

P.S. I intend to replace the CPU with a Ryzen 3000 when they get released this summer but unfortunately I will be doing a lot of traveling so it is not something I can wait for right now. Most of what I will be doing is single threaded or lightly multi-threaded so I think I can get away with running such a low end processor for a few months. Also, the keyboard is just a stand-in.

If you aren't going to get a gpu, I'd get a different case, also different SSD like a EX920, just get a 1TB, and its cheaper than than the 860 evo + 960 evo.

also don't get a firecuda, the measly 8gb of ssd is useless, get a barracuda, for less, also get a SF450, its cheaper and can handle 2070s.

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

If you aren't going to get a gpu, I'd get a different case, also different SSD like a EX920, just get a 1TB, and its cheaper than than the 860 evo + 960 evo.

also don't get a firecuda, the measly 8gb of ssd is useless, get a barracuda, for less, also get a SF450, its cheaper and can handle 2070s.

I will be putting my Titan XM into it, that is why I asked about the GPU support brace that comes in the 202 and if it is good enough to prevent warping when transporting (also why I am getting such a large PSU). I will also take a peak at those ssds but I need fast ones for caching when GPU rendering. The HDD is just for long-term storage and backup.

1 minute ago, Immitem said:

I will be putting my Titan XM into it, that is why I asked about the GPU support brace that comes in the 202 and if it is good enough to prevent warping when transporting (also why I am getting such a large PSU). I will also take a peak at those ssds but I need fast ones for caching when GPU rendering. The HDD is just for long-term storage and backup.

the EX920 is faster than the 960 evo, and the 860 evo.

for long-term storange and backup, a regular non-barracuda will suffice.

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

the EX920 is faster than the 960 evo, and the 860 evo.

for long-term storange and backup, a regular non-barracuda will suffice.

Gotcha.

24 minutes ago, Immitem said:

I will be putting my Titan XM into it

In that case you might want to look at the Ryzen CPUs instead as a 1600(x) or 2600(x) has 2 Cores more but cost like 10-20€ or so more.

I've seen a 1600 for like 120€ here on sale. And you also get a bunch more threads as well. That might be worth thinking about.

The limited CPU Heatsink hight might be a Problem.

And you should get a NF-A9 Fan instead of the 12mm to replace it with the 9x14mm on the Cooler because higher airflow.

I'm not sure about the max. CPU Cooler Hight if an L9x65 is possible. But I think it was not.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

In that case you might want to look at the Ryzen CPUs instead as a 1600(x) or 2600(x) has 2 Cores more but cost like 10-20€ or so more.

I've seen a 1600 for like 120€ here on sale. And you also get a bunch more threads as well. That might be worth thinking about.

The limited CPU Heatsink hight might be a Problem.

And you should get a NF-A9 Fan instead of the 12mm to replace it with the 9x14mm on the Cooler because higher airflow.

I'm not sure about the max. CPU Cooler Hight if an L9x65 is possible. But I think it was not.

I will keep that all in mind. I do want want to overspend on the cpu since I intend to replace it this summer but if the prices are as low as you say they are then I will take a better look around. Might even check out the used market. As for the cooler, I will check out your suggestion. It might seem counterintuitive to go for a heavier one but if I can somehow brace it against the top of the case without interfering with the fan or airflow then it would likely be best for the health of the motherboard when traveling.

I'm not familiar with itx yet but my first one is in a Node 202 and I would not recommend it. It is mainly for looking nice on the outside, but thermally it is absolutely awful. 

I have an MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X with two Noctua NF-A12x25 fans below it and it still thermal throttles in a 22c room playing World of Warcraft at 1080p paired with a delidded i7 7700 cpu (yes non-K, and relidded with liquid metal). 

CPU cooler is the Scythe Big shuriken 2 with a Noctua fan swap and that poor thing is hitting about 90c during load too. 

Mind you I'm coming from two crazy overkill desktops where I'm worried if anything passes 50c. 

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

10 minutes ago, Immitem said:

I do want want to overspend on the cpu since I intend to replace it this summer but if the prices are as low as you say they are then I will take a better look around.

Yes, that's not a bad idea.

The 6 Cores are darn cheap.
Sometimes you can also get an 8 Core for like 150-170€ or so.

But the prices for that anything but stable...

10 minutes ago, Immitem said:

As for the cooler, I will check out your suggestion.

You mean the 92mm on the NH-L9a??

As for the L9x65, I don't know if it will fit at all as IIRC the Spec for the Node says max. 58mm hight and the NH-L9x65 is, as the name suggests, 65mm high.

I don't know if the Boxed Cooler of the Ryzen 5/1600 fits. As there are multiple pictures, some with the bigger Wraith Spire, some wiht the smaller Wraith Stealth that I also got with my 2400G.

But keep in mind:
you you are building a small form factor system, that comes at the cost of noise and thermals!

Meaning it will be rather loud, if you don't choose especially efficient components.

Can you get a bigger case?? Something like the Silverstone Milo ML-07??
The GPU Compartment might still be garbage but at least you can use some bigger Heatsinks.

The mentioned NH-l9x65 definately fits.

And you can also use the NH-L12s, depending on the Motherboard (didn't work with an MSI H81 but with a "normal" one like MSI B450I it works well).

That is also something to consider.

The Node is 377x82x330 (with, height, depth)

The Silverstone ML-07B is: 382x105x350mm

If optics is not an issue, the Silverstone Raven RVZ-01 is an option.

Or you could look at the RVZ-01-E, wich allows ATX PSU (though I really don't recommend it. As only 140mm or less are possible. And ATX come with rather long cables -> its a pain in the butt and hardmode building).

RVZ-03 uses the same chassis as RVZ-01-E (=also ATX PSU compatible)

In the RVZ-01, wich I own, you can put 4 2,5" HDDs and one 3,5", if they didn't change anything. You almost could use 1 15mm high 2,5" Drive but something that should hold the optical drive is in the way.

Though I would not recommend the 3,5" HDD as its getting really hot above the PSU and heated up by the PSU.

7 minutes ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

I'm not familiar with itx yet but my first one is in a Node 202 and I would not recommend it. It is mainly for looking nice on the outside, but thermally it is absolutely awful. 

That is a limitation of the thing, there isn't really much you can do about it.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

16 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, that's not a bad idea.

The 6 Cores are darn cheap.
Sometimes you can also get an 8 Core for like 150-170€ or so.

But the prices for that anything but stable...

Can you get a bigger case?? 

I took a look at processor prices and the cheapest 1600 I could find is 185 dollars CAD plus 20 dollars S/H on ebay. I forgot to check if it was international which means added border fees. I think I will stick with the 2200g for now as I will not be gaming with it. Mostly 3D modling and sculpting which is mainly single threaded. The more intensive ZBrush and Maya Fluids operations are where the extra threads will be thrown this summer. 

As for the case size, length and width are my main concern as if it any bigger there then it would not fit in any of my bags. I might be able to squeeze an inch higher but not in any other direction. I will take a look at the cases but I am doing this all on a phone right now and it is super awkward and sluggish for me.

I still need to look at the CPU coolers though.