New Stress Test / Temp Benchmark

ImGonnaPlay987

Hi All,

I have come to this forum for a discussion and a suggestion.

As you all may know, Linus loves to get things hot when he first meets them...

ew no i'm talking about stress testing new CPUs and GPUs you lewd asshole

But why waste all of that electricity on useless algorithms?

Why do we still do this?

Instead, I have a new idea. For stress testing your CPUs and GPUs, use the software from FoldingAtHome.org

Folding@home a wonderful project that stresses your hardware (as much as you want) to crunch numbers and run simulations to help find cures for diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease, cystic fibrosis, and even some cancers.

Long story short, don't waste your electricity and time on stress testing with conventional testers and use something that will help the rest of the world out as well.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk

p.s. I'm not affiliated with this project I found them a while ago and have loved what they have been doing for a while now

Good suggestion!

Just an FYI, Folding @ Home is really huge here on the forum. The team's site is ranked somewhat high on the leaderboard and there are badges for the points you get and everything. There's a F@H subforum, too.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Just now, mxk. said:

The team's site is ranked somewhat high on the leaderboard and there are badges for the points you get and everything. There's a F@H subforum, too.

Aren't we somewhere in the top 10 or so?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

uhhhh I haven't checked in a month. Maybe top 20. I don't usually check since my PC is too poopy to get points and I need the rig rn. Lemme take a look.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

6 minutes ago, ImGonnaPlay987 said:

This has to be a joke.

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Poet is carrying like a madman.

Screenshot 2019-02-11 at 6.59.09 PM.png

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

While theoretically a great idea, as the workload changes from fold to fold, it wouldn't be a consistent benchmark.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

LTT is currently placed 11th
https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=

6 minutes ago, ImGonnaPlay987 said:

But why waste all of that electricity on useless algorithms?

Why do we still do this?

Instead, I have a new idea. For stress testing your CPUs and GPUs, use the software from FoldingAtHome.org

Folding@home a wonderful project that stresses your hardware (as much as you want) to crunch numbers and run simulations to help find cures for diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease, cystic fibrosis, and even some cancers.

Long story short, don't waste your electricity and time on stress testing with conventional testers and use something that will help the rest of the world out as well.

LTT does have an active community of Folders. The problem with using it as a stress test or benchmark is that there's no practical way to quantify the results. If you're basing performance metrics on how many PPD a graphics card or CPU can achieve then it's unreliable due to the different work units that get assigned and different difficulty and value assigned to each work unit. This means you would have to let it run for a very long time (weeks, months) for the results of many different work units to average out to get a more reliable benchmark result.
As a simple stress test for testing CPU coolers? It's possible, but Prime95, et all do a pretty good job of that already.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450