AMD (doesn't) makes a UEFI - Radeon VII found missing UEFI support

rcmaehl
4 hours ago, sof006 said:

The point being it shouldn't have to be fixed. This is sloppy, they've clearly rushed this card out. It's barely better than a RTX 2080. I'd have much rather they waited and made a card that's actually good. 

No, the point is, that if "the other side" would have done it, nobody would have cared.

I just saw steve burke disassemble the GTX 2060 gard and how he was softballing nVidia for the shit they did with the cooler (and the glue)...

And people here are totally overstating what the Problem really is.

In the end, it really doesn't matter for like 90-99,9% of the people buying the Card.

Certainly I wouldn't care if the Card supports UEFI GOP. 

Because there is no advantage for me in it supporting it.

You really only jump onto the "Rage Bait Media" without thinking about: but what does it do? And what's the benefit for me?

Does it matter if your System boots 2s slower?
Do you really NEED Secure Boot?

If so, why?

Sorry, but this is totally overblown bullshit, that comes from Jenssens side.

He was angry about Radeon 7 for whatever reason (probably because he hates competition), with this he could bash AMD and people will eat the shit they are presented.

Really, its a non-issue, totally irrelevant for most people.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 hours ago, TechyBen said:

But in seriousness, it's a strange thing, and a rather required thing these days.

How is it required?
In what way is it required?

I want details, proof. Not accusations.

Because I don't see how it would be required. For a prebuilt system, maybe, that's why they are shipping the BIOS Update.

But for a self made system? Not at all. That's just totally overblown.

It's a miss from AMD to drop the ball like this. Not a game changer, but a disappointment.

No, its an attack vector for the competition and the fans of the competition to attack AMD and say that they are bad.

That's what it really is.

Especially since after 3 pages or so, nobody could really tell what the real issue is.

Yes, it is not supported (yet), the Patch is underway.

What is the Problem again??

A bit like RTX having no games, then having poor support, then finally getting proper drivers/optimisation. Not the end of the world, but a disappointment NVidia rushed it out, or did not get proper optimisation (like, I dunno, actually doing a screen space RTX filter, instead of trying to raytrace empty space ? ).

That is a valid analogy and shows the hypocrisis.

Because for the RTX Thing hardly anybody cared and claimed "it will be the future", without proof.

While here everyone jumps on AMD.

Yeah, for what exactly? what is the Problem???

A checkmark in GPU-Z missing? 

Similar, here we have AMD dropping a card, and deciding to patch in UEFI later, because... I guess we will find out later. But rather silly of them.

No, its silly to make a big deal out of it as it is only a minor issue and the patch might arrive within the week.

I don't see a reason why this is an issue/problem/whatever.

Most people wouldn't realize it or have a Problem with it. That is the ones actually buying the card. Not just bashing the other side.

19 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

How is it required?
In what way is it required?

I want details, proof. Not accusations.

Because I don't see how it would be required. For a prebuilt system, maybe, that's why they are shipping the BIOS Update.

But for a self made system? Not at all. That's just totally overblown.

No, its an attack vector for the competition and the fans of the competition to attack AMD and say that they are bad.

That's what it really is.

Especially since after 3 pages or so, nobody could really tell what the real issue is.

Yes, it is not supported (yet), the Patch is underway.

What is the Problem again??

That is a valid analogy and shows the hypocrisis.

Because for the RTX Thing hardly anybody cared and claimed "it will be the future", without proof.

While here everyone jumps on AMD.

Yeah, for what exactly? what is the Problem???

A checkmark in GPU-Z missing? 

No, its silly to make a big deal out of it as it is only a minor issue and the patch might arrive within the week.

I don't see a reason why this is an issue/problem/whatever.

Most people wouldn't realize it or have a Problem with it. That is the ones actually buying the card. Not just bashing the other side.

It might be overblown but it should still be reported. The issue is big enough that AMD acknowledge it and are fixing it. That should be enough proof that it's an issue.

It should have been UEFI compatible from the start though. There is no way around it.

what's the point of secure boot tho AFAIK viruses that corrupt your BIOS setup don't exist anymore or at least aren't targeted to consumer hardware

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

19 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

It might be overblown but it should still be reported.

I don't have an issue of that its reported but how it is done.

This looks like "opposition research and bashing".

On a Scale of 1-10 where 10 is unusable and 1 is nothing, I'd give this issue a 2. Potentially a 3. So its in the "well, yeah, and???" category that hardly does matter.

But that also reminds me of the X570 reporting that someone did. Just count how many times he mentioned the TDP. Without even knowing anything about the Chipset itself. 

That Information by itself is totally worthless and makes no sense to mention it at all. 

The issue is big enough that AMD acknowledge it and are fixing it. That should be enough proof that it's an issue.

AMD would have fixed it anyway as the fix was already on its way.

This reporting did nothing for the AMD users.

It should have been UEFI compatible from the start though. There is no way around it.

Debatable.

But pls look up how the Media reported about the GTX970 issue. THAT was a real big problem because it had real world implications and disadvantaged the buyers (the Card with real 3GiB Memory would have been better) - and everyone played the issue down.

And here everyone plays it up like its a real issue. I don't get it...

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Language is irrelevant. At the end of the day, even if you are the creator, if everyone else says it is called X but you call it Y, you're the one who is wrong.

So if you give your kid a name spelled in a weird way and everyone else pronounces it differently, who's right, you the parent who named the child or everyone else.

6 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

what's the point of secure boot tho AFAIK viruses that corrupt your BIOS setup don't exist anymore or at least aren't targeted to consumer hardware

Like on your computer, CPU's have permissions.  The OS needs to be the most elevated credentials to operate, and you want programs to be running under a high restriction permissions, so that it can't access memory on the system and do whatever the program wants without OS approval.

When your computer boots, the CPU gives the highest privileges to the first thing it boots, so your main OS.

What some Virus/Malware can do, and has done, is to replace the Windows/Linux boot with its own, making it gain full permission of the CPU, and then boots the OS installed on the system which has now no permission, everything goes through the the virus/malware. This is called a rootkit. Now that the program has full access to the system, it sees and do anything, such as:

• Easily identify password boxes in any program and websites and steel your account informatin
  • Modify your anti-virus memory address to show that 0 threats are detected and that everything is good with great ease. Even if you uninstall that anti-virus or re-install, or switch to another one... nothing will be detected by them. Even when it scans, it force jump memory address to skip over the rootkit itself.
  • Inject additional viruses that it can protect
  • And more

The only fix is a full drive format, and re-install everything.

SecureBoot protect against this.

By the way, this is how good Reporting/Journalism looks like:
https://www.planet3dnow.de/cms/44491-amd-reicht-bios-fuer-radeon-vii-mit-uefi-kompatibilitaet-nach/

That's a neutral, factual reporting about the issue!

@rcmaehl

pls link to the Asrock Phantom Gaming Radeon 7, as it already provides a UEFI BIOS

-> https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Phantom Gaming X Radeon VII 16G/

Because:

02 2019/2/1 1.30MB Hybrid vBIOS supports both UEFI and Legacy modes.

10 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

So if you give your kid a name spelled in a weird way and everyone else pronounces it differently, who's right, you the parent who named the child or everyone else.

Everyone else.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Just because a group of people decide something is right doesn't suddenly make it right, even if it feels really really right to them.

You could just grow up knowing the wrong pronunciation and never know the original, like calling every tissue Kleenex because you've never heard the word tissue. Doesn't make you any more right.

It does if it's an arbitrary thing, but not if it's a factual thing. "I like this colour blue" is different per person. Cultural language likewise (engineers may pronouce/use different language to DRs for example).